+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 9837 dascott is an unknown quantity at this point dascott's Avatar

Yes | No

Value of a mechanically perfect restored M5?

The list is too long but the M5 is mechanically new. The past owner spent over $9,000 on the parts for just the engine. Studded heads and mains. 11 to 1 pistons and every part internally new. Rebuilt transmission, drive shaft, rear, brakes, suspension. But the paint sucks and the leather is in great need of replacement. What is it's value? How does the group see the E28 M5 appreciating? I am $7,000 away from perfection. Will it be worth $20,000? Now? Soon?

Registered Member
    Member No: 72412 bob.knox is an unknown quantity at this point bob.knox's Avatar

Yes | No

Very tough to say, M5's are a tricky beast>

I'd say that with the number of bad cars out there dwindling, prices will start to go up soon (2-3 years). I've talked to a bunch of people about this, and the most common theme is that the M5 will never be a big $ car because it has no racing history like the M3 and somewhat M6. There is absolutely no doubting the M5's quality and capability, but sedans in general have never done well in the collector market. Look at what's happenning to e39 M5's now. Those prices are dropping like a rock. That said though, I would pay $20k for a perfect 10 restoration (if I had the cash). When the average car guy sees an old M5 on the road, they will always give you the thumbs up (even the punk teens in my neighborhood), but that does not mean they will start hunting for one to buy.

Missing the driving experience,
    Bob K.

Registered Member
    Member No: 60903 vze33jng is an unknown quantity at this point vze33jng's Avatar

Yes | No

Bob, you are at the top of my list of folks i'm

taking for a ride when Im back on the road!
    '87 <b>528e</b> "is" 214.5k
    '88 <b>M5</b> 193k (Head removed, ready for reassembly)
    Dinan gen.1
    OEM Front & Rear Fuzz-buster

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Bob, you are at the top of my list of folks i'm

Well Bob you lost me on that one???

Registered Member
    Member No: 72412 bob.knox is an unknown quantity at this point bob.knox's Avatar

Yes | No

M5's in general will never be worth over $20k.

THD

Yes | No

Bite your tongue!

Say it isn't so! Ok, but that's what they used to say about Corvettes too, now a mid year ('65-'67) big block sells for $120,000+. Who knows what the value of our old cars is. But one thing is for certain, the e28 M5 has the best chance of appreciation of any M5 as it is the rarest and getting rarer all the time.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Several examples have sold -well- over 20 quid!

Could you give some examples of M5s selling over $20,000? This car just had a $12,000 engine rebuild by one of the Top Bimmer Mechanics on the east coast. Additionally, rebuilt the entire drive train. I am going to have to spend slightly over $20,000 to have this car in new leather and paint from one of the top Nascar shops. All origional full of guts. But it needs to be worth $25,000 when all is said and done.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Maybe with 60-70k miles and perfect, but not many

Registered Member

Yes | No

SWEET!Can't wait,I'll put you down for July 07 :)

Registered Member
    Member No: 121863 abey0812 is an unknown quantity at this point abey0812's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Value of a mechanically perfect restored M5?

For a perfect M5 with low miles(<60K)a fair price would probably be around $16K-$17K). Assuming everything on the vehicle is in great shape. Sometimes a car with twice the mileage might be a better car because of all the work and upgrades the vehicle may have.

If you're looking for a car that may increae in value overtime, then buy a M6 or possible 850I with a 6 speed. I think it is safet to safe coupes will always go up in price if it is decent shape. Just my 2 cents.

Abey

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information