+ Reply to Thread

Thread: engine ping

Registered Member
    Member No: 72960 djackso is an unknown quantity at this point djackso's Avatar

Yes | No

engine ping

Has anyone experienced engine ping/knock/light valve noise on their 645?
    I hear it at low to mid acceleration and it doesn't sound healthy. I have had it at the dealership twice for this and was told that due to Ethanol additives I should reduce the octane from 93 to 89 and it would improve. Five tankfulls of 89 later and it is still there and performance seems to have dropped. I have used Exxon exclusively since the car was new.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: engine ping

Strange u should get a recommendation to go to lower RON rating. In conflict with this SIB:

SI B 13 02 06
    Fuel Systems April 2006
    Technical Service

SUBJECT
    TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline in BMW Vehicles

MODEL
    All with gasoline engines

INFORMATION
    Deposit-control additives have been required by the EPA in all gasoline from 1995, however, since the introduction of the lowest additive concentration (LAC) most gasoline manufacturers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additives by up to 50%.

Low content of cleaning additives results in an excessive accumulation of deposits on fuel injectors, the intake valves, the exhaust manifold or inside the combustion chamber. Due to deposits build-up, customers may experience various drivability problems (e.g. cold start problems, rough idle), increased emissions with Service Engine Soon light illumination, reduced engine performance and poor fuel economy.

In order to increase the level of detergent additives in gasoline, the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline requirements were approved by four automotive companies (BMW, GM, Honda and Toyota).

Usage of the TOP TIER Gasoline will help keep engines cleaner, and will reduce deposits-related concerns.

A number of gasoline retailers have already met the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline requirements and are offering this product in all octane grades in all of their respective marketing areas. The current TOP TIER Gasoline retailers are: QuickTrip®, ChevronTexaco®; ConocoPhillips®; 76®; Shell®; Entec Stations®; MFA Oil Company®; Kwik Trip®/Kwik Star®; The Somerset Refinery, Inc.®; Aloha Petroleum®; Jiffy Mart®; Mahalo®; Trip-Par Oil Company®. All gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must conform to TOP TIER requirements on products advertised as such.

RECOMMENDATION
    BMW recommends using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline of minimum octane rating of AKI 91 and with alcohol content of less then 10% by volume (or any other oxygenates with up to 2.8% of oxygen by weight). Only the exclusive usage of TOP TIER Gasoline provides the full benefit of reducing deposits build-up. BMW customers may find more information related to TOP TIER Gasoline on the official website www.toptiergas.com.

NOTE: For more information related to alcohol fuels refer to SI B13 01 06 (Alcohol Fuel Blends in BMW Vehicles).
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

I agree, it does seem to conflict with the standards that BMW has set. I am also concerned that no one else seems to have reported this problem. Perhaps BMW can comment.

Registered Member
    Member No: 15919 Ginger is an unknown quantity at this point Ginger's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

Registered Member
    Member No: 134171 gbelton is an unknown quantity at this point gbelton's Avatar

Yes | No

Nothing good will happen when using lower octane. May I suggest you leave Exxon and try BP/Shell/Mobile/Sunnoco (91) min of course.

GMANEnjoy the drive...

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thank you guys. I have spoken to BMWNA and they now recommend a switch to another brand. I have switched to Shell Premium and will let you know how it turns out.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information