+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 139733 rogro is an unknown quantity at this point rogro's Avatar

Yes | No

Change Transmission fluid in Jag

I m about to change the transmission fluid in my S Type 3.0. Does it use the Mercron III or Mercron V type of fluid? I plan of using non-synthetic,,but if anyone has experience using synthetics, please let me know. Also, how hard is it to get to the torque converter,I want to also drain the TC and get rid of all of the fluid.

Vic

Yes | No

Re: Change Transmission fluid in Jag

The torque converter is sealed. You would have to remove the trans, remove the converter and drain through the input shaft opening.
    Having it power flushed is the only way to change all the fluid.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Well is just changing the fluid in the transmission worth it then??
    The last vehicle I had power flushed, had a transmission failure a week after I had it done,,so I have some doubts of its credibility. Was probably coincidence, but Im not sure...thanks ron

Vic

Yes | No

That's what most people have been doing for years. It replaces about half the fluid.
    I too am leary of power flushing.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I was told by a mechanic that builds race trans (autos)that the backflushing of the fluid causes several problems,, 1: it can push out or displace washers and gaskets, 2) It can dislodge sludge and push it backwards into orifices in the transmission causing more problems than before. 3) Some systems reuse the same trans fluid, only filter it, it does not actually change the fluid. Chemically if the fluid is burnt (heat damage), filtering it wont change the chemical properties that have been changed by the heat buildup... This is what I ve been told,, and "That's just my opinion,, and I could be wrong,,Dennis Miller"....... thanks ron.

J Lee Heikkinen

Yes | No

I have an 2001 Jaguar S type V8 automatic. I need to add transmission fluid. I can't find the dip stick or the filler tube.
    The manual gives no information about transmission service.

Newcom

Yes | No

Re: Need to add trans fluid...broke a line

Does anyone know how I would go about adding fluid to my 01 S Type. My trans line got a hole rubbed into it and some (I repaired it) but how do I add fluid or check it?

scott

Yes | No

I think the trannys are all sead. you cant add or change the fluid. Check with the dealer but thats how my 2000 s 4.0 is.

Kev

Yes | No

Regarding the Mercon V and the oil required for 5R55N

http://www.jagplanet.com/oil/mercon-V.php

Kev

Kev

Yes | No

There is a transmission drain plug and transmission fluid level plug. Fluid level plug is in the centre of transmission drain plug.

You can add oil using filler hole.... check the transmission closer and you will see where it's located. Don't forget to use correct tranny oil - I have attached link below for more info on Mercon V. Enjoy!

Kev
    www.jagplanet.com

Daniel

Yes | No

I have a 2005 Jaguar S-type 3.0L V6 and need to refill the transmission oil on it but i can not find a fill hole for it. Does someone have a clue where i can find the fill hole?

Thank you,

Registered Member
    Member No: 144820 vvaldes is an unknown quantity at this point vvaldes's Avatar

Yes | No

Hi,
    I just changed the ATF in my 2000 3L V6 S-Type for the first time after 67K miles. The fluid looked good, very clean with minimal crud in the pan and filter. I drained the pan by removing the drainplug, then removed the pan. removed the filter but had to clean out my old one since the filter I got wouldn't fit. then cleaned the pan and the doughnut magnet. Then reinstalled the filter, and the trans. pan.
    I measured the ATF that I drained and found it just over 4 qts. The fill plug is on the back of the trans case, removable with an 6 allen
    wrench. I pumped in 4 qts of fresh Mercon V ATF.
    At this point, I found I couldn't remove the leveling screw from the drain plug. I tried lots of things but ultimately had to removeit, redrain the ATF, then drill out the damaged leveling bolt. I put in a new replacement leveling bol into the drainplug, reinstalled and put in the 4 qts of AFT. I started and drove it till it warmed up , then parked with the neutral and running and rmoved the level plug. A few drops came out . I'll need to pump in a bit more ATF, warm it up again and then remove the level plug again to ensure it is topped off. My advice for anyone doing this is to loosen the level plug from inside the drainplug before you reinstall it and hopefully you can avoid destroying it as i did mine. Kind of a miserable job but I won't have to do it asgain for a while.
    best wishes , Vic

Registered Member
    Member No: 155245 francog is an unknown quantity at this point francog's Avatar

Yes | No

i changed my tranny oil and filter through a tranny shop about 3 months ago. Night and day on the shifting! The tranny filter actually cross referenced with the Lincoln LS one! It is a crappy paper filter, not a mesh one!!! Same part # and everything! replaced with Mercon V.. damn that is some expensive stuff!

I drive a 2002 Jag 4.0L

Its funny... they recommend a tranny fluid change on the LS, but not on the Jag.. same filter and all!

beedoug

Yes | No

How do you add tranny fluid into a 2003 s type?

How do you add tranny fluid into a 2003 s type?

Registered Member
    Member No: 174426 psalm119 is an unknown quantity at this point psalm119's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: How do you add tranny fluid into a 2003 s type?

2 post above, somebody, stated the tranny's are sealed? i'm not sure... just finding out myself... then this post is right about this one.... saying there is a filler plug on the transmisson... hope this helps....

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jaguar/jaguar_s_type/8188662-1.html

Registered Member
    Member No: 174593 montoya66 is an unknown quantity at this point montoya66's Avatar

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Yes | No

I have a 2004 S type R and the importance of using the correct fluid in the 6HP26 was a significant factor for me when making the decision to swap out the fluid. The fluid I used was Pentosin ATF1 which is equivalent in viscosity index and friction coefficient to Shell M 1375.4 and exceeds the mineral oil cough syrup Jaguar sells for extortionate amounts.

Pentosin ATF1 is a higher performance synthetic fluid than the Jag mineral oil, and so long as the viscosity and friction co-efficient are equivalent to M 1375.4 the transmission will benefit from the performance of a synthetic fluid.

You can purchase the 6HP26 pan with integrated filter from RM European for $140 which compares favorably to the dealer price, and the Pentosin ATF1 is $16 per liter from them (discounted nearly 50%). This fluid looks like the Jag fluid, and by eyeball the viscosity appears the same. Evidently when ZF rebuilds a transmission which uses the Jaguar computer, this is the fluid they use.

I was reluctant to combine/mix the old Jaguar mineral oil "cough syrup" with the Pentosin ATF1, and found the best answer to this was simply to allow the 6HP26 to drain for two days. After two days about seven liters of the old degraded mineral oil were recovered, leaving at least one liter (plus) in the torque unit. I believed the ratio of 7:1+ old-to-new will do no harm, and used the seven liters drained as a guide to fluid level for the refill.

Refill is not trivial. When drained with the engine off, the 6HP26 pan only holds about 3 liters. This is enough to get you started but the proximity of an internal switch to the fill hole (not to mention the exhaust pipe near the fill hole!) requires a small diameter fill tube, unless you have the ZF factory fill plug. ZF definitely did not want shade tree mechanics filling the 6HP26 and to date that is my biggest complaint about "German engineering".

Anyway I have been driving my S type R for several thousand miles now and feel the performance and responsiveness of the transmission (with the Pentosin ATF1) has definitely improved over the Jaguar oil. The entire drive train feels smoother, shifts are crisp but smooth, and shifts repeat consistently at the same RPM's.

Before, with the stock Jag fluid, the shifts felt mushy and uncertain - especially from stop into first/second; with the old fluid the engagement felt "loose" and uncertain and RPM shift points could vary slightly.

I have no agenda other than as someone who wanted to change my S Type tranny fluid and wishes to relay my positive experience using the Pentosin ATF1 fluid which is widely available on the net. That is my opinion and observation so far! regards, Steve

Registered Member
    Member No: 162059 clubairth is an unknown quantity at this point clubairth's Avatar

Yes | No

Be VERY careful here!!! Jaguar upgraded in 2003 to the ZF 6 Speed automatic. This is a completely different transmission from the Ford 5 speed auto.Yes the are both sealed and have no dipstick but use different fluid. I would only have the ZF tranny serviced at a Jaguar dealer. The early Ford trannys are not so unusual. That same 5 speed is used in the Lincoln LS, Ford Explorer and the Mustang. They can actually be built up pretty stout now because of the Mustang connection.

Yes both trannys have a fill plug but the car must be exactly level and the fluid at a certain temperature. Plus the fill plug is pretty close to the exhaust! Not a easy thing to do!! See the factory manual for the fine details.

Registered Member
    Member No: 174593 montoya66 is an unknown quantity at this point montoya66's Avatar

Yes | No

It is possible for a competent mechanic to change the fluid on the 6HP26 however it is not a trivial job as you mentioned. My post is the second from the top in this thread, and provides some details. I changed my fluid on a 2004 S Type R with 6HP26 several thousand miles ago myself, and I am very pleased with the results. There is another post in a separate thread about the Pentosin ATF1 replacement fluid which is a perfect match for the original fluid.

Registered Member

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Yes | No

With the ZF 6HP26 the trick is to drop the pan and let the fluid drain overnight, or better yet, drain it for a couple of days, that will drain slightly more than seven liters of old fluid from the ZF tranny. (Ford I don't know) There will still be about two liters of old fluid in the converter, so seven liters is the best you will get after a two day drain, but IMO the long drain beats all other methods. Remember that is for the ZF 6HP26 tran, not the Ford. I think the confusion here is based on the two different types of transmission, which have different characteristics and different fluid change procedures.

Is it worth it? Depends on the car and the problem. On my '04 S type R the shifts were mushy and varied at different RPM's from 1st to second with the old fluid and 66K miles. After several thousand miles of driving the 6HP26 since the change, changing the fluid to the Pentosin ATF1 really transformed the shifting to a smoother, cleaner, and crisper characteristic at repeatable RPM's. Just my own experience. :)

Kiko

Yes | No

i would like to add tranny fluid to my Jag S Type, what type should i use and how do i add?

thanks,

Kiko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information