+ Reply to Thread
    Administrator Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 1
    Inner Circle ©207 since: May 05, 2000 charlie has a spectacular aura about charlie has a spectacular aura about charlie has a spectacular aura about charlie's Avatar

Yes | No

WARNING: Cashiers Checks & Wire Transfer Scams

<b>About Cashiers Checks and Wire Transfer Scams and Fraud<br></b><br>Most people who use Roadfly have great stories to tell about their experiences with buyers, sellers, and such, but we also receive occasional reports of scams and fraud. We've found that one of the best ways to avoid this problem is to keep all transactions local -- whenever possible, don't do business with anyone who is not in your local area.<br></p><p>Use caution and common sense when dealing with any financial transaction:<br> • DEAL ONLY WITH LOCALS AND UNITED STATES RESIDENTS! Most inquiries from outside the United States on Roadfly are scams.<br> • NEVER wire funds to a distant person, via Western Union or any other carrier<br> • Be wary if the other party wants to use an escrow service such as BidPay or Squaretrade<br> • NEVER give out personal financial information (checking account number, SSN, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)<br> • trust your instincts, and always remember that the most important rule -- caveat emptor -- BUYER BEWARE -- applies to any transaction on Roadfly where money is involved.<br></p><p>If you think you have been scammed, contact the non-emergency number for your local police department -- they may be able to offer advice about your options.<br><br><br>Who should I notify about fraud?<br> • FTC toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)<br> • FTC online complaint form (<a href="http://www.ftc.gov">www.ftc.gov</a>)<br> • Canadian PhoneBusters hotline: 888-495-8501<br> • Internet Fraud Complaint Center (<a href="http://www.ic3.gov">www.ic3.gov</a>)<br></p><p>If you suspect that an item posted for sale on Roadfly may be part of a scam, please email the details to &quot;<a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected] fly.com</a>&quot;. Be sure to include the URL in your message.<br><br><br><b>Recognizing scams</b><br>Most scams meet involve one or more of the following:<br> • inquiry from someone far away, often in another country<br> • proposed transaction includes a cashier's check, postal money order, Western Union, or escrow service (BidPay, Squaretrade, etc.)<br> • inability or refusal to meet face-to-face<br><br><br><b>Types of Scams</b><br>1. Someone claims that Roadfly will guarantee a transaction, certify a buyer/seller, OR claims that Roadfly will handle or provide protection for a payment<br> • These claims are fraudulent, as Roadfly does not have any role in any transaction.<br> • Scammer will often send an official looking email that appears to come from Roadfly, offering a guarantee, certifying a seller, providing payment services -- all such emails are fakes!<br>2. distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check<br> • you receive an email (many examples posted on this forum) offering to buy your item, or car, sight unseen.<br> • cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for a car, or for just about anything else of value.<br> • value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item - scammer offers to &quot;trust&quot; you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service<br> • banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal prosecution in some cases!<br> • scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)<br>3. Someone requests payment via Western Union or MoneyGram:<br> • Often claim that an MTCN or confirmation code is needed before he can withdraw your money - this is FALSE, once you've wired money, it is GONE.<br> • Scam &quot;bait&quot; items include laptops, plasma TVs, cell phones, tickets - but could be almost anything<br> • common countries currently include: Nigeria, Romania, Ukraine, Spain, UK, Italy, Netherlands, and all of South East Asia - but could be anywhere<br> • deal often seems too good to be true<br>4. distant person offers to send you a cashier's check and then have you wire money:<br> • this is ALWAYS a scam, in our experience - the cashier's check is FAKE<br> • sometimes accompanies an offer of merchandise, sometimes not<br> • scammer often asks for your name, address, etc for printing on the fake check<br> • deal often seems too good to be true<br>5. distant person suggests use of an online escrow service.<br> • most online escrow sites are FRAUDULENT, operated by scammers<br> • for more info, do a google search on &quot;fake escrow&quot; or &quot;escrow fraud&quot;<br> • if you must do business with a distant seller, insist on a legitimate service, such as www.escrow.com<br>6. distant seller asks for a partial payment upfront, after which he will ship goods<br> • he says he trusts you with the partial payment<br> • he may say he has already shipped the goods<br> • deal often sounds too good to be true<br><br>

Registered Member
    Member No: 58575 TalentScout is an unknown quantity at this point TalentScout's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: WARNING: Cashiers Checks & Wire Transfer Scams

I get these e-mails every time I list a BMW forsale. But when I write to the webmaster, all I get is a form letter telling me to write to Forums.

Registered Member
    Member No: 85713 beemerbuff is an unknown quantity at this point beemerbuff's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm attaching a FRAUDULENT email sent to me by a phony buyer for my BMW M Roadster. Please be advised he uses two email accounts: [email protected] and [email protected] He also attached a phone number (overseas), which I haven't called. Just letting everyone know. It's the first time I've had this kind of scammer experience, thank God I didn't fall for it.

-----Forwarded Message-----
    Sent: Mar 29, 2007 1:01 AM
    To: Alexandra
    Subject: CONFIRM PAYMENT / PICKUP ARRANGEMENT.................ASAP TODAY .

Greetings..............Alexandra and Bill ,

Thanks for your time , effort and anticipated cooperation ....We are happy to inform you that I have concluded with my client and he has instructed me to carry on with the transaction,he said that I should inform you that payment will get to you in a CashieCheck of $31,110USD drawn in any of the AMERICAN BANKS which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client.

Due to the company's policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you because the company's policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier check,so you are required to deduct cost of your vehicle $21,500USD when payment gets to you and refund balance $9,610USD to my customer's shipping agent via western union money transfer for him to be able to offset shipping charges.

After payment has reached you and balan ce sent back to THE PICKUP AGENT ,our agent will come for the pick up and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer,while title papers and other necessary documents will be sent by you via a courier service to my customer.

ATTENTION;

MY CLIENT JUST INSTRUCTED THAT YOU SHOULD NOT PREPARE ANY PAPER WORKS UNTIL THE PICK UP AGENT ARRIVES AT YOUR LOCATION WITH SOMEONE WHO IS GOING TO TEST DRIVE THE VEHICLE AND VALUE THE CONDITIONS OF THE VEHICLE..SO AFTER THEN THE PICKUP AGENT WILL GIVE HIM A CALL ON THE CONDITIONS OF THE VEHICLE SO THAT HE WILL GIVE HIM A GO AHEAD ORDER TO SIGN ON HIS BEHALF..

PICKUP ARRANGEMENT;

PLS MY CLIENT IS MAKING THE NECESSARY ARRANGEMENTS WITH SOME SHIPPING AGENTS REGARDING THE PICKUP/SHIPMENT OF THE VEHICLE BUT HE ADVISED THAT AS SOON AS HE FINISHES THE ARRANGEMENT THAT HE WILL INFORM ME ON THE PARTICULAR SHIPPER(i.e t he shipping agent's information) WHO IS GOING TO ARRANGE FOR THE PICKUP/SHIPMENT.

Please Confirm this whole arrangement and provide a Legal Name................., Address........................ and Phone Number ......................for check payment to be made out in your name .

I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND...

Thanks for your time, effort and understanding...

HAVE A NICE DAY!!.

Management .
    EDWARD SMITH
    Cell Ph# +44-7040131453 /Fax NO;+44-87-0912-2737

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check.
    Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Printable View | View All Headers | View Email Source Flag Message

renzmari

Yes | No

Here is another one that we just got last night for the sale of our BMW 535i that we have posted on Roadfly

Hi Renso Morel,

How was you weekend?I have discussed about your vehicle with my client. Before he travelled He moved to an energy conference.He is an Oil Drill Supervisor so he consider it important to attend the conference.

However, My client made out a certified cashiers check of $10,650 before he travelled, the amount on the check he deposited for the vehicle is for the total expenses which includes the purchase of your vehicle, the pick up of the 535i E34 from its present location and the shipping charges/other Necessary Shipping arrangements.
    However he has instructed us to carry on with this transaction. So you're required to deduct the cost of your vehicle $6,500and send the balance of $4,150 to the shipper via moneygram Transfer or western union money transfer to enable him offset shipping charges/arrangements.

Once the transaction is concluded and the check clears my agent will be coming for the Pick Up of the vehicle from its present location, on an open vehicle and then Drive to a pre-paid shipper for shippment, and also conclude other necessary shipping arrangements. So you don't have to bother yourself about the pick up and shipping arrangements, while title papers and other necessary documents will be sent by you via courier service to my Customer.

Please confirm this and provide name, address and phone number for check payment to be delivered to you via courier service or regular mail.

Yours truly,
    Have a nice day
    Sales Director
    Home of cars
    Alex Clark
    256 Treit Road
    Shawnigan Lake, BC
    V0R 2W0
    Tell No. 206-984-1016
    [email protected]

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information