+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

S38 REBUILD OPTIONS

Hello,

After selling a kidney and some other body parts I'm finally ready to get the engine rebuilt on my M5. She ran 253,000 miles before piston ring in #3 cylinder started to break up! My wish is a nice 3.8 stoker motor from Dinan or Metric Mechanics. I need advised on who to entrust the rebuild with. Bavarian Auto recycling in Rancho Cordova, CA (I'm in LA) has everyone beat for pricing and warranty. $6,975.00 + $275.00 for pick up and delivery of the engine. 5 year warranty. Local dealer wants $10,258.39 for a new crate motor. Local shops including Fahey in SD want $13,000+.
    Has anyone had any experience with Bavarian Auto recycling? They are the only ones who returned my emails and calls, while all the "good" shops never bothered. They say all internal parts are replaced w/ better than stock parts. Maxil pistons are a staple apparently. Their web site is quite impressive. I don't want to sell anymore body parts but, I would like to get another 200,000 miles out of the next engine. Thanks for your input.

Registered Member
    Member No: 60903 vze33jng is an unknown quantity at this point vze33jng's Avatar

Yes | No

I have no personal exp[erience with Maxsil, but

Have heard that while they may be good (and even over-engineered with their coatings) they don't always pay attention to details, like matching the pistons in a rebuild. The story I remember was just that the pistons looked cool, but they were not close enough to each other to make the builder happy. Why bother with going beyond basics with coatings, when the simple things have been ignored.

Now for the facts: This is a story told to me over the phone by some I TRUST. I have NO EXPERIENCE with them except over the phone, which was positive. However, the part I called for had been "repaired" and they wanted more than twice what I eventually bought my used known-good part with extra pieces included for!

That said, what is stopping you from paying a pro to estimate the cost to repair your engine? I think you could end up with a very nice rebuild (if all you need is pistons and a bore/hone) for way less than bav-recycling is charging.

Here are some of my costs:
    $1000 Wiseco forged custom compression with rings and pins
    $300 Professionally repaired crankshaft
    $350 Bore/hone to 1st or 2nd oversize
    $200 Inspection, cleaning, magnafluxing of all parts
    $800 all timing parts, gaskets, bearing shells

Keep us posted!!

'87 <b>528e</b> "is" 214.5k
    '88 <b>M5</b> 193k (Head removed, ready for reassembly)
    Dinan gen.1
    OEM Front & Rear Fuzz-buster

Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

WIth all the hard miles I have put on the engine, I think it's best to just get the whole engine rebuilt. I was lucky that I never had to replace the timing chain, which supposedly dies after 100k. I have considered a valve job and new rings/pistons but, just worried everything will just blow up eventually. Now if the engine only had 150k or so, maybe it would be best to just "repair" the engine and hope to get another 5OK out of it. Again Bav Auto is offering the lowest price and highest warranty coverage. They do offer a "performance" package where the engine is balanced and blueprinted for about $1,000.00 more.(some minor porting & polishing what the factory already started.) I just don't know. I'll keep you posted.

Registered Member
    Member No: 60903 vze33jng is an unknown quantity at this point vze33jng's Avatar

Yes | No

Consider this:

Unless some components are cracked from overheating, then there is nothing a machine shop can't fix like (or better than) new! For a small investment, your machinist will tell you what is beyond repair. Just because your motor is tired, doesn't mean it's dead yet. Mine was at 192k/mi when I took it apart. It needed four intake valves, 12 valve-guides, all pistons, and a crank repaired.

Much less than $6k and better than new!

'87 <b>528e</b> "is" 214.5k
    '88 <b>M5</b> 193k (Head removed, ready for reassembly)
    Dinan gen.1
    OEM Front & Rear Fuzz-buster

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Considered

Thanks, you make a very strong case against all my buddies who say just bite the bullet. With the money I save I can get new shocks, a/c, window motors, etc....other stuff that will die soon too! Thanks again G

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information