+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Towing M5

Registered Member
    Member No: 99798 rwolak is an unknown quantity at this point rwolak's Avatar

Yes | No

Towing M5

I am considering buying an '88 M5 and will have to tow the vehicle using a car dolly. Since I have never removed a BMW drive shaft, I have a couple of questions:
    (1) can the car be towed (assuming its in neutral) with the drive shaft connected?
    (2) If the drive shaft must be disconnected, can it be unbolted from the differential and pulled out of the center bearing or must it be unbolted at the center bearing also?

TIA

Mark 88/M5 Houston

Yes | No

Last time I moved a full car trailer was only a >>

few dollars more than the dolly to rent. If the diff and transmission have enough lubricant in them I might tow with the driveshaft installed if it's not across the whole country.

Mark 88/M5 Houston

Yes | No

My preference would be to trailer it.

Bruce in Canada

Yes | No

dont have mine handy.. but

READ THE OWNERS manual to know how to tow.

generally the problem is with automatics, not manual transmissions.

why not tow it backwards? so the front wheels are on the ground only, that should be the normal way to tow a rwd car anyway..

B

Registered Member
    Member No: 60119 scramblepod is an unknown quantity at this point scramblepod's Avatar

Yes | No

Do hire a flatbed tow truck....

any other method is just asking for trouble in my opinion. If you are going to DIY, just rent a U-Haul car hauler and do it right. Last time I rented one it was only $60.00/day. If the car is not running, get a "come along" and winch it on to the trailer.

M5 Jeff

Yes | No

Re: RENT U HAUL CAR TRAILER

I too had to tow my M5 home ( cause it was BROKE!) to ohio (cin)to get it running. I called U Haul and rented a car trailer, they couldent find the e28 M5 in their data base so he asked me the dimensions over the phone. The fit was tight and I had to get a come along (hand wench) rented from a tool rental co. to get it on the trailer but three years later I'm still always working on it WTF? Just kidding I love my car and it is fun and rewarding to work on. Tow vehicle 2001 V8 (YEAH BABY)4x4 Toyota tundra, Headers, lsd dif, cold air, 20,000 + HP blah blah blah..................

Registered Member
    Member No: 40989 lkfosteraz is an unknown quantity at this point lkfosteraz's Avatar

Yes | No

Couple things

-There isn't a front tow hook. You can hook onto a lower control arm but the cable will put stress on the lower lip of the front air dam. We have a cracked spare front air damn from when the car had to be flat-bedded back to the dealer for a warranty repair. I'm just glad that I didn't have to pay for it.

-I don't know about trailers, but when flat bedding a lowered M5 the front air damn will bottom out. Be prepared with some boards to reduce the approach angle.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information