+ Reply to Thread
    FM

Yes | No

A little off-topic, but I wonder if BMW would ever

issue a Service Bulletin like this one from Ford?

Ford TSB

Basically, it says to wack it with a 2X4 until things fit right.

Registered Member
    Member No: 5943 rirrgang is an unknown quantity at this point rirrgang's Avatar

Yes | No

It's a good indication of why Ford's stock is in

condition it is. We recently took a look at a few Ford products to tow behind the motor home, ugh! Honda and Toyota have nothing to worry about. Heck, Hundai and Kia have nothing to worry about.
    -Rick
    www.livesafeandhealthy.net
    www.mothersmakingmoney.com
    BMWCCA 162285
    06 X3 Silver Gray/Black / Sport / Prem / Step
    87 535is (Gone to a good home)
    00 328i Sport Steptronic Steel Grey/Grey (Gone)
    03 Infiniti QX4 (Gone, it was nice but no BMW)

FM

Yes | No

Re: It's a good indication of why Ford's stock is

Actually, I bought a Ford focus Wagon in May, 2005, and it's the best car I've had. It now has 21,000 miles on it and has had Zero warranty work... unlike my Z4 with 19,000 miles which has had several items done, such as a new radio head, replacement of a BMW emblem that delaminated, a fuel pump recall, a recall for the plug coils, etc. Currently the rain sensor bit is in the process of delaminating from my windshield and the only fix will be to replace the entire windshield.

So I would have to say that my experience is that a Ford Focus is much more reliable than a Z4. But then I didn't buy the Z4 for its reliability.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Well it's also good to know that if you need

to,,,,,you can fix it with a 2x4 :) all kidding aside, one of the engineers here has one with 198,000 miles on it. He's is NOT a car guy and I doubt the thing has seen 4 wash jobs in its life but it continues to run like yours does. Just imagine if Ford could make reliable and exciting products, mmmmmmm.
    -Rick
    BMWCCA 162285

Registered Member
    Member No: 9403 pps-325xit has a little shameless behaviour in the past pps-325xit's Avatar

Yes | No

Wonder if they charge customer for the 2-by-4???

FM

Yes | No

Re: Well it's also good to know that if you need

Yeah, I really like the Focus, but Ford has done quite a poor job on the styling/excitement side for most models (as opposed to Chrysler, which has done a reasonable job, IMHO.) Ford did a good job on the Mustang, but most of the other vehicles are rather generic looking.

I do like my Focus though. I did some 15 mile test drives as part of the "Drive for the Cure" a month or so ago and I drove both models of 3 series and an X-3. They all had auto transmissions.

The transmissions in the two 3 series cars was horrible, and much worse than the one in my Focus! I was suprised as heck, but if you floored the new 3-series, it took the transmission about 1-2 seconds to shift down and wind-up the torque converter -- they both were really, really hesitant, "slushy," and not nearly as "tight" as the auto transaxle in my little Focus Wagon! I could never buy a 3-series with one of those autos in it.

The X-3 automatic transmission I drove actually was noticably tighter and quicker responding than the two 3-series vehicles I drove, but oddly enough, still not as good as my little Focus. Of course, in either case the Focus did not come close to the power or acceleration once the BMWs got thenselves shifted down and moving, but it seemed to take them forever to respond to a flooring of the accelerator when going 25-30 mph. I found the X-3 transmission WOT downshift acceptable, and would consider buying an X-3 with an auto, but it still was not as nice of a transmission or shift feel as my little Focus provided.

As I said, I really found this hard to believe and maybe there was something wrong with these "test drive" cars, perhaps being abused more than a "normal use" vehicle." But I recall they only had about 15,000 to 20,000 miles on them and I would hope they received good service.

I would be interested if anyone else had test driven a new 3-series automatic, and how they think it compares to their X-3 transmission. At least during my test drive, the X-3 auto seemed to work much better than the new 3-series auto trannys.

FM

Yes | No

Re: Wonder if they charge customer for the 2-by-4?

Well, if you read the TSB closely you will see that it is "eligible under provisions of new vehicle limited warranty coverage" and that there is no flat rate time allowance for it to chargeback to Ford -- "claim labor as actual time."

I guess it is hard to develop a flat rate for "2X4 Whacking," not knowing how many whacks it might need!

I wonder if any of the service departments had to go out and buy a 2X4 as a result of this TSB. Perhaps Ford sells a 2X4 in their "special tools" catalog.

Registered Member
    Member No: 124244 AlanL is an unknown quantity at this point AlanL's Avatar

Yes | No

That's why all of my cars have been manual trannys

I refuse to put up with drivetrains that don't do what I request of them when I give them inputs. I had to order my X3 and wait a few months to get one with the 6sp, but have never regretted the wait for even a moment.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I'll agree about the auto in our 06 X3. Most of

time I drive in Sport Mode. If I'm on a long trip, which we do often, I drive in Manual Mode. Even going up a slight incline the auto will shift to 4th when it really doesn't need to. By driving in manual mode I can decide when I want to drop a gear. I understand that there is a re-programming that can be done at the dealer if you ask for it. We have to take it in for its first scheduled maintenance next week and I'll have them do it then.
    -Rick
    BMWCCA 162285

FM

Yes | No

Re: I'll agree about the auto in our 06 X3. Most o

Yes, I noticed that using Sport Mode did improve the transmission performance somewhat. As I said, I found the X-3 auto to be acceptable, such that I could envision buying an X-3, but found the new 3-series completely unacceptable.. it was only marginally better than the auto transmission in my Mother's 1987 Cadillac Broughm Fleetwood, or whatever that RWD tank is called.

All I can figure is that maybe there was something wrong with the two I drove, as it boggles my mind that my Ford Focus transmission shifted better, smoother, and reacted to WOT a lot quicker. It just doesn't seem possible!

Registered Member
    Member No: 19448 dembooks is an unknown quantity at this point dembooks's Avatar

Yes | No

NO , but DeLorean did . . . . . .. .

...swing open the doors, place a block of wood in the body opening,
    close the door against the block - and with a large, heavy rubber mallet, "WACK!" the door edge to adjust closed body/door gap.
    Been there and done dat back in 1981.
    "WACKing" a BMW ist nicht approven technique du adjustment.

Registered Member
    Member No: 50676 akiflo is an unknown quantity at this point akiflo's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: A little off-topic, but I wonder if BMW would ever

...and your point is...???

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 84505 Penguin is an unknown quantity at this point Penguin's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: A little off-topic, but I wonder if BMW would

No point, just sharing what I thought was a rather amusing TSB.

You did note the "A little off topic" in the title?

Registered Member
    Member No: 124197 Kaptain is an unknown quantity at this point Kaptain's Avatar

Yes | No

Re:

Ford is launching an all-new 3.5 liter DOHC V-6 that will be built in Ohio.

The new Ford Edge crossover suv will have it with 265 hp and a new 6 speed automatic.

The new Super Duty is one of the vehicles that will help Ford immensely. They are their cash cows.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/Trucks/2008superduty/

The following is from Bob Kehoe of The Oregonian August 26, 2006:

Automakers earn an average profit of $13,000 for each full-size pickup they build, excluding incentives and other marketing costs, according to estimates from CNW Marketing Research in Bandon [Oregon].

The new 6.4 liter twin-turbo diesel is manufactured for Ford by International Truck and Engine Corp and makes 350 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque. The new V-8 uses a state-of-the-art piezo fuel injection system.

The 2008 Ford F-Series Super Duty's patented, hydroformed body structure is made up of two high-strength steel side rails that are welded to the bulkhead and frame. They not only serve to create a very rigid foundation, but the system's modular construction eases assembly and delivers a more dimensionally accurate truck.

Suspension

The 2008 Ford F-Series Super Duty's frame features a fully boxed front section that has been optimized for safety. The unique front frame horn design lowers the frame by seven inches meeting vehicle compatibility standards without the need for a blocker beam. The design also provides improved vehicle cooling as well as a solid footing for the hydroformed body structure.

All-new 6.4-liter Powerstroke diesel features Ford Clean Diesel Technology(TM) that utilizes a state-of-the-art common-rail fuel injection system with Piezo injectors and sequential turbochargers, among others, to deliver impressive, quiet performance while still meeting the most stringent emissions standards in the world.

Industry-first Integrated Power-Folding, Power-Telescoping Towing Mirrors:Super Duty raises the towing bar by offering huge increases in capability along with innovations such as the industry's first power-fold and power-telescoping side mirrors that help drivers see around ever-larger trailers. The large mirrors extend up to 2.75 inches and feature a power adjustable main mirror with a manually adjusted spotter mirror that is more than double the size of the previous generation. The mirrors telescope or fold at the touch of a switch and are integrated into the vehicle's seat-position and pedal- memory system. The mirrors also feature heated glass, clearance lamps and integrated turn signals. The recognized towing leader, Super Duty also continues to offer the segment's only integrated trailer brake control system. Ford's initial customer demand estimates for the feature were completely understated, as virtually every Super Duty is now ordered with the factory system.

Rear brakes

Front Suspension

Brake master cylinder

The 2008 F-Series Super Duty's side vents, a design inspired by the TONKA concept truck, dissipate engine compartment heat and designate what type of powertrain lies beneath the hood; red for diesel, black for gasoline.

Super Duty F450 Lariat Crew Cab

The 2008 Super Duty's unique reverse-stacked headlamps place the high beam under the running lamps and turn signals making them more compatible with other vehicles and reducing unwanted glare.

new diesel

Registered Member
    Member No: 124197 Kaptain is an unknown quantity at this point Kaptain's Avatar

Yes | No

Their new CEO used to work at Boeing for 30+ years

Alan Mulally became Ford Motor Company's new CEO and President on September 5th.

"Mulally holds bachelor's and master's of science degrees in aeronautical and astronautical engineering from the University of Kansas, and earned a master's in management from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology as a 1982 Alfred P. Sloan fellow."

- http://www.boeing.com/nco/mulally.html

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information