+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

euro headers for E28 M5

Sorry, hope you don't mind me postin in here. Seems the E28 M5 board is a little dead! A friend is going to sell me his M6 Euro headers in excellent condition. Don't worry I'm not paying $$$$$$. They were just sitting in his basement from a parted out 88 M6. I'm in the process of getting my engine rebuilt.(head came off today) I mentioned it to the mechanic who is working on the project and he told me not to waste my $$. Not because they don't produce any horsepower gains but, what a [Oops!] they are to install in an E28. The other mechanic working on another project at the shop swears by them! I have Fahey Track pipes and know the flanges have to be replaced. Good thing my friend owns a muffler/race shop!
    I have searched the archives and everyone seems to be concerned about the flange issue. My mechanic told me, some pipes may have to be heated up and dented to clear bushings and body parts. He stated the M5 was not meant to have headers, just the M6. His thick German accent tells me he is right. Can anyone tell me if they had issues with headers hitting or rubbing parts of the car? I would rather keep the ugly US headers than put dents on such expensive steel. BTW, mods to the engine are exhaust cam gear, chip and cold air intake from a famous company in nothern CA. These items will be reinstalled during the rebuild. My mechanic tells me no one can say for sure how much hp or torque the headers will give, (that will be an ongoing debate unitl Armagedon) but, he stated his personal M5 did have noticeable "feel it on your seat" improvement espeacially on the top end. Plus, cat free with a factory US exhaust (Euro muffler is more restrictive since they were not designed to have a cork w/ them) The exhaust bark seems worth the hassle. Thanks in advance for your input.

Registered Member
    Member No: 10066 blaum8 is an unknown quantity at this point blaum8's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: euro headers for E28 M5

Your thickly accented mechanic is just wrong. The Euro version of the E28 M5 was fitted with the exact same headers as the M635CSi. Part nos. 11 62 1 307 250 and 11 62 1 307 251. In fact, I installed the Euro headers on my former US spec E28 M5 and found it to be a very worthwhile upgrade. You can confirm this application on the BMW Mobile Tradition parts catalog for the ECE version of the E28 M5.

There were no fitment issues other than having to adapt the collector flanges to the US catalyst or Fahey track pipe (I had one of those, too). An inelegant solution is to simply cut off the flanges from the stock log roll manifolds and then have your shop weld them to the Euro headers. That's what we did with my old car. At first I was upset the shop had ruined the factory manifolds, but once I drove the car with the Euro headers on it, I knew the factory log rolls would never be going back on.

Your question gave me a trip down memory lane. E28 M5 = my very first M car. A great car indeed.

So, by all means, get those Euro headers on your M5.

Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

Can anyone identify these headers for my E28?

Finally got the headers, but, I know they are not factory Euro headers after seeing them in person. They have been modified to fit my friend's M6 (flanges) so hoping they will just bolt on to my M5's cat or Fahey track pipes. I have a feeling these are Racing Dynamics Headers for S38's. Any ideas? Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information