+ Reply to Thread
    SW

Yes | No

valve lash -- all over the place

Hello All -
    My valve lash values are all over the place, after I installed the new head, and 264 cams. One thing I did do that was wrong during the install is coming back to haunt me...when I took the new head apart, I didn't pay attention to the bucket order. Upon putting it back together, I had to guess. I didn't think this such a big deal, as they are all interchangable. I knew I would be adjusting the valve lash, so I didn't worry too much. Here are my values. Anyone care to comment?
    all in MM

E1 a.33 b.076
    E2 a.178 b.0279
    E3 a.33 b.33
    E4 a.305 b.076
    E5 a.076 b.076
    E6 a.33 b.33

A1 a.406 b.432
    A2 a. greater than .889 b.076
    A3 a.33 b.33
    A4 a.279 b.079
    A5 a.0254 b.279
    A6 a.33 b.33

for the record, I was hoping for values between .28 and .33. And these values are after I replaced the head in August - September 200 6. E1 a would be the shim closer to the radiator, b toward the fire wall. Same for all the E's and A's.

SW

Yes | No

Re: valve lash -- all over the place

make
    E2 b.279

Registered Member
    Member No: 45949 Philo is an unknown quantity at this point Philo's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: valve lash -- all over the place

Seth.., did the head guy mock up the head and cam box and pre measure the lash and then trim the valve stems ?

Anyway.., your well past that stage now so the only thing you can do is get a bunch of shims and go to work. Even if you marked the shims and buckets during tear down you would still have to reset the lash..., especially if your head guy cut the seats and stems.

When I did my head I decided to make my own shim kit. Spent about $250 and have the shims and another $100 for the tool and I now have most of the shims needed for my lash range. Don't forget about Bret Anderson's lash kit. I used his kit the first time and worked well. But then decided to make my own kit.

Also, if your putting in new cams or low mileage cams I'd use new shims anyway. Old shims on newer cam lobe profiles..., why take a chance. Go new !

Philo.
    ---------

SW

Yes | No

Brett at KMS - no more tool rental

I called them up and he said, no more tool rental, too many broken tools.

So I bought one (I have the S14 to do as well) from ZDMAK. It was 11?.00 - they have them on ebay for less, but I can't wait.

Philo -- did you go BMW or volvo for Shims??

Registered Member
    Member No: 45949 Philo is an unknown quantity at this point Philo's Avatar

Yes | No

Got the dealer shims.....

Registered Member
    Member No: 10568 scottiesharpe is an unknown quantity at this point scottiesharpe's Avatar

Yes | No

Email me with what shims you need. I have some.

Scottie Sharpe
    Provider of Mass Air Flow Conversion Kits for BMWs
    www.scottiesharpe.com/store

88 Dinan-badged M5, M88 motor with BMWTurboPerformance.com mass air flow conversion, Laptop Dynamic Tuning, 02 Sensor feedback, Dinan Stage 4 suspention, Dinan 17x9.5 3pc wheels, 255/40 Conti Sport X 4, e34 rear brakes, B&B Stainless steel Exhaust, F&R LaDue stainless steel strut bars.
    91 318iC
    68 2002 Ireland coil overs, e12 brakes, Mikuni 40s, Stahl, Hoosiers
    67 1600 Stock - "Cutie"
    Do you BMWwikiwiki.com ??

SW

Yes | No

another stupid mistake, fixed

I figured what I did. Upon putting the new head in and having the old one taken apart, I lined up all 48 buckets and shims and took the best of the bunch by visual inspection. So, some were from my 120k mile head, others from the new one. I have carefully redone the valve lash and they are now easily in spec. I still need a handful of shims, because I want to get all valve lash at .33 so that I have a baseline to monitor at future inspections.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information