+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 128555 taheemr is an unknown quantity at this point taheemr's Avatar

Yes | No

Jerky Gear Changes In Sport Mode

Guys,

I have experienced over the last few days that my 645 when driven fairly hard in both sport and normal modes changes down gears abruptly mainly before the car comes to a halt.
    Then if you immediatley apply gas the gearbox hesitates before activating.

I have heard no strange noises and the problem has only just started over the last few days.

Has anyone else suffered this and if so what the remedy.

Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 119132 howardmw is an unknown quantity at this point howardmw's Avatar

Yes | No

SMG or Steptronic?

Registered Member
    Member No: 128555 taheemr is an unknown quantity at this point taheemr's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: SMG or Steptronic?

Its a steptronic

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 99808 Kilovolt is an unknown quantity at this point Kilovolt's Avatar

Yes | No

Sport mode with steptronic is a bit twitchy?

Hello mate, you gone and broken my favourite black 6 series. Give me a ring tomorrow?

I find that if I leave my SPORT button depressed then the car definitely feels a bit twitchy when in town, sharp gear changes that feel a little notchy. I have also assumed that's the effect of the sport setting, lower (tighter) ratio ready for the off when you hit the big pedal.

I'm assuming this is a change in your car's behaviour, or you would have experienced it before and considered it normal. How far off the next service (not that a gearbox should change as a result of a servicing requirement). Your car is coming up to 3 years old now, I just wonder if the wear and tear is setting in (but then again I know your are a low miler and not a particularly harsh driver).

Got any fault codes showing on the screen? You must be getting tight on warranty expiry, this needs sorting before it lapses?

Good luck!
    English spec Titanium Silver Coupe, Auto Gears, Dynamic Drive (Sports Pack in USA?), Adaptive Steering, Adaptive Headlights, Sat Nav Professional, Comms Pack With Business Phone, Lights Package, Folding Mirrors, 120 Style Alloys, Tints, Service Inclusive 5 Years/60,000 Miles.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Jerky Gear Changes In Sport Mode

YOu may be experiencing "Tranny Slam" often discussed in the past and fixed more than once in at least two different software releases. It generally manifiest itself when slowing down for traffic or a light, and down at low speed when auto downshifts from 3/2 or 2/1 and then you accelerate back up you may get a big slam.

If it is not this symptom, then u may be experiencing something different and not sure exactly problem you may be having. I drive my STEP awfully hard, but I use a lot of manual shifting just because I like to be in control so if mine did this I moght not observe it.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information