+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

sharing time: S38 Rebuild Chapter 1

Ok, I'm not sure why I decided to do this, but I will share the story of my s38 rebuild. I will continue posting updates and pics as long as it helps others, but if find myself having to argue or ..........well you know. I can just keep all this to myself. You may remember I posted here about 2 years ago concerning my #3 spark plug being damaged for some reason. I entertained many theories and the best was from a Dinan Mechanic who said my piston was hitting the spark plug! This is probably the same guy who left his shop rag in my oil pan after replacing the gasket. The rag got sucked up the oil pump and lodged itself there for 3 years! Talk about extra filtration!(oil light never came on) The damaged spark plug was due to a supersonic piece of piston ring hitting it! Even after this damage, the car went another 120,000+ miles before a loud knocking noise at startup forced me to stop driving the car. Very minimal damage to cylinder but the piston was toast. A testamant to Mobil 1 starting at 1,500 miles, engine ran to 253,000+ before calling it quits. Camshafts look new, original timing chain still tight, rod bearings, crank, etc. were still close to spec. I drove the crap out of this M5 from new.....did I get lucky? I will post more pics as I get them sized.

sw

Yes | No

wow!

That oil pump with rag is incredible. When I re did my crank shaft, I noticed the "premier" shop that replaced my oil pan gasket knocked the heck out of my oil pump pick up shroud. That made me realize, if you want something done right, you really have to do it yourself. I might be ballistic if in your shoes. Good luck with the rebuild and keep us posted.

Registered Member
    Member No: 33285 88m53453 is an unknown quantity at this point 88m53453's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: sharing time: S38 Rebuild Chapter 1

any intake leaks ?

Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: sharing time: S38 Rebuild Chapter 1

there were two tiny exhaust leaks, cylinder 3 and 5, but never had any intake leaks anywhere except certain vacuum hoses. As far as the intake manifold, velocity stacks/rubber boots no leaks to my memory ever repaired since new!

Registered Member
    Member No: 10568 scottiesharpe is an unknown quantity at this point scottiesharpe's Avatar

Yes | No

That is wild.

If it were me, I'd discuss this with the shop that did the work and show the pics. If the shop is decent, they'll fess up and offer something to you - maybe parts at cost - that won't cost them a lot but will offer up some good will to you.

Good luck with that rebuild. Keep us posted! Scottie Sharpe
    Provider of Mass Air Flow Conversion Kits for BMWs
    www.scottiesharpe.com/store

88 Dinan-badged M5, M88 motor with BMWTurboPerformance.com mass air flow conversion, Laptop Dynamic Tuning, 02 Sensor feedback, Dinan Stage 4 suspention, Dinan 17x9.5 3pc wheels, 255/40 Conti Sport X 4, e34 rear brakes, B&B Stainless steel Exhaust, F&R LaDue stainless steel strut bars.
    91 318iC
    68 2002 Ireland coil overs, e12 brakes, Mikuni 40s, Stahl, Hoosiers
    67 1600 Stock - "Cutie"
    Do you BMWwikiwiki.com ??

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information