+ Reply to Thread
    Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 129196 atlantaZ8 is an unknown quantity at this point atlantaZ8's Avatar

Yes | No

brakes and quaife questions

Is there any possibility StopTech will begin offering rear brake kits again? Any hope for other brake upgrades on OEM wheels? While performance with OEM brakes are pretty good, they are sinfully ugly. Also, for those of you that have done the quaife / 3.64 upgrade, any problems with losing lateral traction and swinging your rear end around? It sounds like a great upgrade but I wanted to get a feel for the effect of the increased torque with the lsd increasing the odds of the outside wheel breaking loose laterally on a hard turn.

mike metzger

Yes | No

Re: brakes and quaife questions

No such problems with my Quaife-equipped car. However, I'm running 20" S03's too, and they're pretty sticky. Also running Brembo brakes and pleased with them after some initial squealing problems that new pads cured.

Mike

Grease Monkey

Yes | No

Re: brakes and quaife questions

I don't believe there are any options for Z8 brake upgrades when running OE wheels except for Stop Tech. I suggest you give them a call and ask them to make you a f/r kit for your Z8. I use them on mine and am very pleased. While the 3.64 gears will provide an increase in power delivery to the rear wheels, the LSD of the Quaife provides far better traction, particularly while cornering, so the rear end of the car will actually be more stable under acceleration than the stock setup. Of course, if you get on the accelerator too early or too hard in the corner, you may overwhelm the rear tires' ability to grip and find the rear end swinging out on you, but that is your fault and not related to the 3.64 gears. The point is, given the same application of the accelerator, a 3.64 Quaife equipped Z8 will be more stable than a stock car. There are no downsides to this upgrade.

Registered Member
    Member No: 121281 robz82001 is an unknown quantity at this point robz82001's Avatar

Yes | No

got an email from Dave Z. on this issue

...StopTech got sold to another company. According to Dave he did not think the new ownership had an appetite to continue w/ the development of the brake kit for the Z8. So StopTech will probably not be a viable option. I share your thoughts on the OEM brakes....ugly....but functional.

Member No: 129196 atlantaZ8 is an unknown quantity at this point atlantaZ8's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: got an email from Dave Z. on this issue

That is truly a bummer. Has anyone asked Brembo about a kit for an 18" wheel that will fit? I know that they offer kits for 19" and 20" wheels...Is it an engineering impossibility or is driven by economics? GM, in your brake research pre-StopTech, I vaguely remember you having discussions with another company (England perhaps?).

Grease Monkey

Yes | No

I'm very sorry to hear Stop Tech has changed hands since the original owners were terrific guys to work with. As far as alternatives go, I can tell you that Brembo thought they could supply a kit that would work with the OE wheels but it would require the use of 15mm wheel spacers up front to provide adequate clearance. The problem with such thick spacers up front is that they will move the edges of the tires outside the fender lips. If this doesn't bother you, then you might want to contact Brembo and discuss your options. As I recall, Brembo also offered a very expensive option which was to use their full race billet calipers which are much smaler and might clear the OE wheels without the need for spacers. The drawbacks were exorbitant price and a lack of dust seals so they need regular maintenance. Another alternative would be to get in touch with AP Racing, a brake company who had offered to try to engineer a brake kit to fit the Z8 with OE wheels. They weren't sure if it could be done but they were willing to try. Their brakes are used by many F1 teams so you're working with a competent company. My suggestion would be to contact Stop Tech directly and see if you can convince them to produce the Z8 kit again. I'd explain that you are aware that one owner had significant problems with the kit on his Z8 (most likely due to faulty wheel bearings) but that other owners are still using the kit with excellent results. The Stop Tech kit also requires the use of wheel spacers up front but they are much thinner and don't cause the width problem discussed previously. If that doesn't work out, I would seriously consider changing to 19" wheels which would allow you to run the existing Brembo kit. There are many advantages to this approach including the opportunity to significantly reduce unsprung weight and to take advantage of the latest in tire technology which is only available in 19" sizes. Hope this helps.

Yes | No

GM, the AP Racing website shows both front and back calipers available for a Z8. Great looking, available in red or black. I wonder if anyone on this board is using them. Why did you ultimately go with StopTech instead of AP?

Grease Monkey

Yes | No

When I was working with AP Racing to come up with a kit for the Z8, they weren't sure they could build one that would fit the OE wheels and they required deposits from interested owners to justify the effort involved. Not enough owners signed up and then Stop Tech announced they were working on a kit that would fit. If AP Racing does have one now, I would find out if spacers are required up front and what size is needed. If it is reasonable, I would go with their kit since it is current. AP Racing makes great brakes and their kit should be outstanding.

Grease Monkey

Yes | No

More...

For reference: The Stop Tech front brakes require 4mm wheel spacers to keep the calipers from hitting the inside of the OE wheels. When I was running S-03s, I liked 5mm spacers on the rears also to keep a balanced offset appearance and fill up the rear wheel wells visually. With other tires (S-03s are exceptionally wide in the rear size) I like 10mm spacers in the rear. Up front, the OE lug bolts should still be adequate but with 10mm spacers, you need to get longer lugs. I assume the AP Racing kit will include stainless steel brake lines which are a must in my opinion. I don't know what the rotors will be like but I prefer slotted rather than drilled. The Stop Tech rotors are 355mm x 32mm up front and 332mm x 32mm rear. The calipers have 4 staggered pistons, f+r.

Yes | No

Re: More...

I talked to a US distributor for AP Racing and he said they do offer front and rear brake kits for Z8's that fit the OEM wheels. They are built to order with about 3-4 week lead time and will cost about $6000 total. Front rotors are 356 mm and rear rotors are 324mm. The guy on the phone said that no spacers re required. Sounds quite interesting.....

Grease Monkey

Yes | No

AP Racing brake kit for Z8 with OE wheels!

If AP's kit really will fit a Z8 with OE wheels and requires no spacers, then this is very exciting news indeed! I would encourage anyone interested in upgrading the performance and cosmetics of the OE brakes to follow up on this lead. Again, AP Racing is a top notch brake company, on a par with Stop Tech and Brembo in terms of the quality of their products. Find a distributor or dealer at www.APRacing.com.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information