+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 32350 destro is an unknown quantity at this point destro's Avatar

Yes | No

Someone please explain software upgrade and why...

Someone please explain software upgrade and why it takes so long? they started software upgrade today at about 10am and it failed at around 3pm.. so they are going to do it again tonight...

Why does a software upgrade take so long? for such a dedicated specific system shouldn't it be quicker. How is this thing connected? 9600 baud transfer rate? don't get me wrong.. if it needs that much time for safty's sake.. then fine, no problems here. But its 2 days less that i have my car.. and i can't have another weekend with this maroon chevy malabu

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Someone please explain software upgrade and why...

Well you asked about upgrade and why, but I think you really wanted to know about the process.

28 page document to describe process, but distilled use a SSSR2 (Software Service Station, Rev 2) and / or GT1/Displus and connect to car via MOST bus connector and OBD diagnostic port. Then do diagnostic Measures Plan to find current condition of modules and software for each (over 25 units on average). Any hardware anomalies MUST be fixed before beginning upgrade, even if it takes a month. Once past that stage teh upgrade process can actually begin. The car is prepped so that it cannot be touched in any way during the process. Once begun at this point it may ONLY take a couple of hours. However, the techs go off to do other things. When they come back they HOPE to find the upgrade took with no errors. However, the chances of that are slim IF they did not have access to the specific CIP (PROGMAN) Release notes which identify specific issues with various configurations and work arounds such as these general issues with CIP 22.xx:

SSS enters service mode during the day, and it is no longer possible to start a session.

The user interface may show "#4" following a full installation using Progman V22.0

The following error message may be displayed when an SSS is selected with GT1 or DISplus: "The document contained no data. Please try again later or contact the server administrator."

If a vehicle order is imported from a diskette that cannot be read "diskette not inserted, vehicle order not valid, etc." error message is displayed. The next screen does not appear for a few minutes after a button is pressed.

If SSS name is changed it causes the SSS to reboot. After rebooting the new SSS name is then displayed on the "SSS overview" screen but not transferred to the JETstream server. The workshop personnel are NOT restricted in their work, but they do see an incorrect SSS name on the JETstream management console.

or these e63 specific CIP 22.xx issues:

E9x/E6x/E65: At present, the TEL repair (NAD) can only be carried out using the SSS. Operation using GT1 or DISplus is not possible.

E65/E60/E61/E63/E64: The measures plan states that enabling codes must be imported even though neither the NVE control unit nor the night vision camera need to be re-enabled

So u c many things can go wrong even beyond this list such as power interruption, someone accidently interrupting this upgrade process when checking another vehicle (up to 5 may be done at one time, but dealers are reluctant to do this for this very reason).

And then when they think it took the upgrade ok, during checkout they may find that something does not work and have to do it all over again.

So now you know why there is another reason to hate windows:(

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 32350 destro is an unknown quantity at this point destro's Avatar

Yes | No

Why didn't they use linux :(

For being a german company Suse linux is/was? german based company. In a lot of cases a small dedicated linux machine works wonders.. thats what a lot of things(dedicated computers) are run off of any way. Small footprint, rock solid and quick as heck if designed correctly!

Registered Member
    Member No: 130385 Maverick630 is an unknown quantity at this point Maverick630's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Why didn't they use linux :(

I belive the very successful Helmut Panke, BMW's CEO that was recently or may have already been replaced was a Microsoft Board member and was asked by Bill Gates to join.
    That may or may not have been the major reason for using a Microsoft product.

Registered Member
    Member No: 33269 spngd is an unknown quantity at this point spngd's Avatar

Yes | No

I could have guessed it was MS software...

They should have let Apple engineer the interface over UNIX. The elegance and intuitiveness of apple software is unmatched. Yes I am one of "them"...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information