+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 141616 Karen1122 is an unknown quantity at this point Karen1122's Avatar

Yes | No

HELP Pls - Convertible Top Will Not Lock Closed

I am new to the board and would like to tap the vast experience of the membership.

I just bought an 04 Convertible and the top mechanism is locked up. I put the top up and everything was fine. The next day I went out and the alarm stating that the top was not locked came on and stayed on. I cannot open or close the top (it will not move at all), the rear window will not open, and the trunk cannot be opened.

This happened before and then "cured" itself. I took it to the dealer but they could not find the cause - and subsequently a cure. Looks like it will have to go back.

Any help on the subject would be greatfully appreciated.

Registered Member
    Member No: 141616 Karen1122 is an unknown quantity at this point Karen1122's Avatar

Yes | No

WOW - Do I stand alone with this problem???

This is not a good feeling if I am experiencing a unique problem!! The car is currently at the dealer, but from the questions they are asking I would bet they are having a tough time diagnosing an on again-off again problem. Any help in pinpointing a similar issue would be greatly appreciated.

Registered Member
    Member No: 32350 destro is an unknown quantity at this point destro's Avatar

Yes | No

software update is a start

not sure taking a wild stab at it.. but does your navigation have a "perspective" view... kinda looks like you are at a 3-D angle? If it doesn't then you have an old version of software..

It really sounds like a sencer somewhere was tripped and has prevented anytyhing from moving so no damage occurs... maybee it was tripped by mistake and in a "frozen" state. Sometimes dealers like to just pull the battery let the juice run out of the car.. then fire it back up to force it to check itself.

i don't have convertible but newer software on these cars really makes a difference.

again this is just an educated guess..

Registered Member
    Member No: 42672 marc.scroggins is an unknown quantity at this point marc.scroggins's Avatar

Yes | No

search archives

Have you tried the search feature?

I seem to remember another member having a problem with their roof not opening or closing but it's been a while and don't remember the resolution.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: software update is a start

Thanks for the responses

I did run a search and found 1 item that was close, but not the same thing. The dealer could not duplicate the problem and only found one alarm in the memory relating to running the car without the roof being latched - i.e. the latch alarm was tripped. They contacted BMW tech support yesterday and they are installing a new "latch mechanism and cable" (not really sure what the cable is).

It sounds like this problem is unique which is not a good thing in my mind.

Registered Member
    Member No: 50165 bruce12861 is an unknown quantity at this point bruce12861's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: HELP Pls - Convertible Top Will Not Lock Closed

I believe I just starting having the same problem you described. Top goes up and seems closed but the light flashes red and says it is not closed. Back window and trunk won't open and if you drive it chimes telling you to slow down top not closed. Then after 2 hours of getting angry it went away. Happened twice.

Did you get the latch mechanism changed and did it solve the problem?

Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 50165 bruce12861 is an unknown quantity at this point bruce12861's Avatar

Yes | No

found you can open trunk by the key only

found you can open trunk by the key only, this is good to know for any convertible owners if the trunk wont open try the key release under the emblem, it worked when nothing else would. BIG save as all my stuff was in the trunk.

Registered Member

Yes | No

ANYONE HAVE AN SIB ON THIS???? tx

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: ANYONE HAVE AN SIB ON THIS???? tx

Well this is the only thing that I can find. Possible related - Don't know for sure.

SI B54 03 05
    Special Roofs July 2005
    Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes Service Measure B54 203 04 dated September 2004.

SUBJECT
    Convertible Top Will Not Lower

MODEL
    E64 (6 Series) produced up to June 2004.

SITUATION
    Convertible top will not lower.

FAULT CODE
    Fault codes A699 and A68F may be stored in the CVM (Convertible top module).

CAUSE
    Rear window hall sensor misadjusted.

CORRECTION
    On a customer complaint basis, adjust the gap of the rear window hall sensor.

PROCEDURE

Check the status display while lowering the rear window.

If the rear window is not recognized in the lowered position, adjust the gap of the rear window hall sensor by following Repair Instruction 54 34 300.

Place a piece of foam tape underneath the hall sensor bracket for stability.

Clear faults stored in the CVM.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Premuim Audio (Logic 7), HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Delivered w/CIP 15.2, Aux Input, using Cingular Motorola v551 (v557 as of 1/7/06) Bluetooth implementation w/ snap in adapter, V1 - not hardwired. Status Born on 1/25/05, baby delivered 2/25/05, broken in 3/25/05 Upgrade to CIP 16.2 on 3/15/05, upgrade to CIP 20.02 on 3/17/06 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information