+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Grease Monkey

Yes | No

Performance Package has arrived!

The Performance Package arrived at my house today. Frankly, I am very impressed with it. The cross brace, which mounts to the square tube frame members in front of the strut housings, is very well made and should be more than capable of handling the forces involved. What isn't apparent from the pictures but is essential to its structural integrity is the fact that the cross brace is not a flat piece of steel but rather a gently curved flat tube. Picture a very thin airplane wing. This means it has 2 curved sides and a hollow center making it highly resistant to bending. And since the frame tubes it is attached to are the ones most likely to deform from suspension forces, this should be a real solution to the problem. Plus, I think it looks great under the hood. My Z8s are silver and the black looks totally at home in the engine compartment. Next comes the strut mounts which are, as I expected, much stronger than the originals. What BMW did was replace the top plate, which is made of aluminum, with a top plate made of steel. Since this top plate is in direct contact with the underside of the tower, any tendency for it to bend or deform was going to transfer into the aluminum structure of the tower, which would show up as doming. Plus, since the 3 mounting studs are press fit into the top plate, any tendency of the plate to bend or deform would cause the studs to splay out, exactly what some owners have seen. With the switch to steel, any tendency of the top plate to deform should have been eliminated and to provide further insurance, BMW has included steel rings which mount on top of the towers and form a steel sandwich to protect them from deformation. I am convinced that the steel top plates would have done the job alone so I continue to believe that the real value of the top rings will be to help flatten out any existing doming when the sandwich is tightened down. Interestingly, the reinforcement rings are not perfectly circular, instead they have one portion which is narrower than the rest and is designed to provide visual clearance where the rings would have covered up the serial numbers stamped into the towers. Another point to mention is that, because the new strut mounts are exactly the same size and shape as the originals, use of the Dinan caster plates will be unaffected. All in all, a very well thought out package which I believe will completely eliminate worries about frame and strut tower deformation. Bravo BMW!

Registered Member
    Member No: 86215 eurekatrading is an unknown quantity at this point eurekatrading's Avatar

Yes | No

Not in Sarasota!: Performance Package has arrived!

I just left my dealer in Sarasota FL. They knew nothing about this! How much does it cost in parts and labor?

Grease Monkey

Yes | No

Re: Not in Sarasota!: Performance Package has arrived!

Price may vary, but I paid $525 US for the kit. I have no idea what it will cost to install since I will be doing it myself. Shouldn't be too much since the installation will be pretty straight forward.

Registered Member
    Member No: 86215 eurekatrading is an unknown quantity at this point eurekatrading's Avatar

Yes | No

THANKS EOM: Not in Sarasota!: Performance

THANKS EOM

Z8 Dave

Yes | No

Re: THANKS EOM: Not in Sarasota!: Performance

MIne arrives at Tom Bush BMW in Jacksonville on Wednesday for installation on Thursday.

Registered Member
    Member No: 121281 robz82001 is an unknown quantity at this point robz82001's Avatar

Yes | No

Z8 Dave, you live in NE FLA?

I'm in North Carolina, but I'm from Jax and drive there several times a year to visit my folks. How many Z8s are there in NE Fla? I'm guessing your the owner in Ponte Vedra.

Registered Member
    Member No: 41339 joea2 is an unknown quantity at this point joea2's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Performance Package has arrived!

Are there instructions? That was one of the reasons for the Freeze.[IMG]

Grease Monkey

Yes | No

On the outside of the box there is a notice warning that no instructions are included and that the dealer needs to look them up on the Aftersales Assistance Portal and provide them to the customer. My dealer is checking on it.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thank you! My Dealer says they don't have them.

[IMG]

Registered Member
    Member No: 33791 Z8mania is an unknown quantity at this point Z8mania's Avatar

Yes | No

WOW GM - another quality posting

I did notice the bends in the brace from the pics- you have to look carefully. I wondered about why some would criticize before seeing it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 106624 DanaC is an unknown quantity at this point DanaC's Avatar

Yes | No

I have install instructions

I have the installation instructions and can email them to any of you that want to look at them. The installation time per the instructiuons is approx. 8.5 hours. I have not done one in house yet but I have a few scheduled this month so I'm not sure how accurate the time is.

email me at [email protected] and I will send the instructions to you.

Thanks
    Dana Caldwell
    Service & Parts Director
    Peter Pan BMW
    San Mateo, Ca

Registered Member

Yes | No

They are installing mine right now!

[IMG]

Registered Member

Yes | No

It is installed!!

There is no way to tell that it isn't original. Very impressive the way it gets lost in there. The car handles much better with the "Performance Package"(only kidding).
    My Dealer was outstanding to "comp" it!!!![IMG]

Registered Member
    Member No: 112123 Z8NY is an unknown quantity at this point Z8NY's Avatar

Yes | No

I think someone should do step by step photos

I nominate you, GreaseMonkey. How about taking some pix of your install process?

Registered Member
    Member No: 44681 Z8Bob is an unknown quantity at this point Z8Bob's Avatar

Yes | No

Package gets installed tomorrow by Irvine BMW

Registered Member
    Member No: 44681 Z8Bob is an unknown quantity at this point Z8Bob's Avatar

Yes | No

Done. Looks like original equipment.

Makes things tight in there for air filters, hoses, etc. though.

Michael

Yes | No

Do you plan to use the new strut mounts with your caster plates?

Grease Monkey

Yes | No

I am convinced the Dinan caster plates provide the same amount of protection that the updated strut mounts do so I don't plan to install them at this time. For one thing thing, they are heavier and I don't want to add any more weight to the front end of the car. I would also like to determine whether BMW softened the damping material used in the strut mounts to reduce the forces transferred to the tower before putting them in my car. However, if I didn't have the Dinan plates, I wouldn't hesitate to install the new strut mounts. I do plan to install the cross brace since I believe the added weight will be more than offset by the increased structural rigidity of the car. I don't care what BMW says, that brace is going to add stiffness in a crirtical area and it will improve the car's handling. Plus, I think it looks great in the engine compartment!

Z8 Dave

Yes | No

Mine was installed Friday. It looks good!

Pandaman

Yes | No

Mine will be installed 10/21/06

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information