+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 25033 Codeboy is an unknown quantity at this point Codeboy's Avatar

Yes | No

Oil temp. gauge stopped working

It shows room temp. all the time. Anybody had this problem?
    Where's oil temp. sensor located?

Registered Member
    Member No: 6787 gregwminmmoregon is an unknown quantity at this point gregwminmmoregon's Avatar

Yes | No

Yep, bet it's the sender.

Mine quit a few months ago in my '01 (47k) and I replaced the sender myself--problem solved. The sender (sensor/transmitter) handles both oil level and temperature.

The sender sets in the oil pan, so you have to drop the aluminum panel underneath, drain the oil, and R&I the sender. You need sensor part # 12 61 7 508 003 ($126.36 list) and (12) bolts for the aluminum reinforcing plate (these are not reusable) #51 71 7 892 988 @ $3.39 list each. The latter require angle torquing, which is not that easy, but I don't think it's too critical. The sensor comes with an O-ring gasket already installed.

Torques are 10 Nm (7.4 lb ft) for the sensor and 59 Nm (43.5 lb ft) + 90 degrees for the plate bolts.

Funny post note--I took my car in to the dealer after that because the SES light was on. Well, even though my car was 15 months out of warranty they did me a favor and replaced the oil sensor for free because they pulled up that fault code! I didn't have the heart to tell them I'd already done it.******>
    Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon

2001 M3 Coupe - Titanium/Cinnamon
    Prem. Pkg., Xenon, CWP, adj. seat width, HK, Matte Chrome trim; RAC Monolite RG4 forged wheels (19x9, 10), Michelin PS2s 245/275, CSL/ZCP rotors, Stoptech sst lines, GC custom Koni/Eibach coilovers/camber plates, Larini sst exhaust, ACS SSK w/ Z8 shift knob, ACS pedal covers/handbrake, UUC Big Boy clutch stop, CDV delete, OEM strut tower brace, '04 LEDs/trunk lights, V1 w/ hardwire & in-cluster remote display, euro front bumper cover, euro first aid kit & warning triangle, space saver spare, painted foglight rings, PIAA Xtreme Plus fogs, SilverVision front turns.
    2006 Mercedes-Benz ML350 Pewter/Charcoal Alcantara/Aluminum
    *******>

Registered Member
    Member No: 25033 Codeboy is an unknown quantity at this point Codeboy's Avatar

Yes | No

Great info, thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 103022 jimslade is an unknown quantity at this point jimslade's Avatar

Yes | No

resurecting old thread- oil sensor

Hi.
    I have this same problem... 10sec 'low oil' light warning on every startup and dead oil temp gauge. However, I'm also loosing oil on my garage floor.
    Was that also part of your problem? does it make sense that a faulty sensor might also contibute to oil loss? or is it just a coincidence and I have a larger issue...
    thanks,
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by gregwminmmoregon View Post
    Mine quit a few months ago in my '01 (47k) and I replaced the sender myself--problem solved. The sender (sensor/transmitter) handles both oil level and temperature.

The sender sets in the oil pan, so you have to drop the aluminum panel underneath, drain the oil, and R&I the sender. You need sensor part # 12 61 7 508 003 ($126.36 list) and (12) bolts for the aluminum reinforcing plate (these are not reusable) #51 71 7 892 988 @ $3.39 list each. The latter require angle torquing, which is not that easy, but I don't think it's too critical. The sensor comes with an O-ring gasket already installed.

Torques are 10 Nm (7.4 lb ft) for the sensor and 59 Nm (43.5 lb ft) + 90 degrees for the plate bolts.

Funny post note--I took my car in to the dealer after that because the SES light was on. Well, even though my car was 15 months out of warranty they did me a favor and replaced the oil sensor for free because they pulled up that fault code! I didn't have the heart to tell them I'd already done it.******>
    Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon

2001 M3 Coupe - Titanium/Cinnamon
    Prem. Pkg., Xenon, CWP, adj. seat width, HK, Matte Chrome trim; RAC Monolite RG4 forged wheels (19x9, 10), Michelin PS2s 245/275, CSL/ZCP rotors, Stoptech sst lines, GC custom Koni/Eibach coilovers/camber plates, Larini sst exhaust, ACS SSK w/ Z8 shift knob, ACS pedal covers/handbrake, UUC Big Boy clutch stop, CDV delete, OEM strut tower brace, '04 LEDs/trunk lights, V1 w/ hardwire & in-cluster remote display, euro front bumper cover, euro first aid kit & warning triangle, space saver spare, painted foglight rings, PIAA Xtreme Plus fogs, SilverVision front turns.
    2006 Mercedes-Benz ML350 Pewter/Charcoal Alcantara/Aluminum
    *******>
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 65.87.18.18

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information