+ Reply to Thread
    , ,

Yes | No

long shot request - anyone have an MP3 of the S38?

This is a bit off the wall and illustrating my paranoia- but I can't remember how quiet the engine should be.
    I have adjusted, re-adjusted and adjusted again the valve lash. Upon start up, there was more noise than I liked but it died down a great deal to where I think it is correct. All of the objective stuff has been measured and check and is in line. I haven't driven the car yet. And I know an audio recording wouldn't be objective, but might just ease my mind even more.

Registered Member
    , ,
    Member No: 64024 colt45 is an unknown quantity at this point colt45's Avatar
    Yes | No

the car has loud valves-

every time I take it to a mechanic or the dealer they say it needs a valve adjustment.... even several hundred miles after the valves have been adjusted!! The motors have a loud valve train, there is no getting around it. Jim Rowe says non-synthetic 20W-50 can help quiet it somewhat, but not by much.--Colt
    88 M6
    91 318is

Bruce in Canada
    , ,

Yes | No

mine is not noisy

the write ups when it was new dont say it had a noisy valve train.

I think you need to decide if your ears are sensitive or the engine is noisy.

I start mine up, no clatter, no fuss.. and valves are checked and within spec. I do have a input shaft tranny noise.. goes away with the clutch in.

, ,

Yes | No

You dont have traditonal rocker arms with the S38 and I dont really see how you would get that much noise from the valve train except for a badly worn chain.

These engines do however have loud injectors. That is if they are working correctly.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information