+ Reply to Thread
    SW

Yes | No

Test drive after new head install

Well, I finally got up the nerve, and buttoned all the left to do things up today. Car now has the EVO exhaust gear, fahey track pipe, 264 cams, new valves (obviously), spark plugs, dizzy and rotor...and probably many other things I am not remembering right now.
    Car idles very nicely. Pulls like it should and runs very nicely. Thing is, I was hoping to feel some more hp in the seat-o-meter, but I don't really. It doesn't feel like the pipe, cams or cam gear made much of a difference. Granted, I wasn't really getting the car going on the first go out, but I expected more.

Mikeb

Yes | No

Re: Test drive after new head install

Sometimes I think many of the bolt-ons are that way. Even pipes .. they just sound more powerful.

Someday I'll get a dyno and find out for sure.

Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

difference should be noticealbe at higher rpms

I remember many years ago when I installed a Dinan chip, cam gear and track pipe (with 23,000+ miles on the clock-got it new), I didn't feel a difference until about 5500-6500 rpms! Then all hell broke loose! The car definitley had more torque at the lower rpms but really felt some of the advetised 40+ horses at the higher rpms. Cam gear was supposed to add 25+ lbs of torque but, took away 3hp at the top end. Later install of cold air intake made the car sound like a barking junkyard dog!

There are those in here who think Fahey and Dinan are in league with the devil, but even if their claims are not accurate, I know I enjoyed every run to redline.

Registered Member
    Member No: 45949 Philo is an unknown quantity at this point Philo's Avatar

Yes | No

Good going seth ! You'll notice that the car pulls the whole rpm range much soother than before. Also, unless you get a custom chip burned to match your upgrades I feel there will be little to feel in the butt-O-meter. After replacing my head I felt better low end torque due to the cam gear but that's about it. I'm just happy the car idles nice without shaking the passengers out of their seats.

Good job. So now you know..., these engines aren't that difficult to work on now are they.

Philo.

sw

Yes | No

thanks Philo - the car does pull like a truck, and sounds like one too due to the recent fan clutch. I think I also need to tighten the track pipe, as I might have a leak there. The job wasn't bad, but just longer than I hoped due to stuff coming up all the time.
    I don't want to open up a chip debate, but I have a dinan chip that I paid little for, expect less of and got it. It might be time to pull that out and go for a Jim C chip. What chip are you running?

Registered Member
    Member No: 25251 pm179 is an unknown quantity at this point pm179's Avatar

Yes | No

Custom chips

Hi Guys,

Please discuss the specifics of "custom" chips... WHO to call, what info will be needed etc & etc...

I believe I need this but am clueless as to the details (I'd love to get back the torque/HP lost between 3-4K when I installed track pipe)

The main upgrade to my rebuild was higher compression pistons

10.5:1 pistons
    track pipe and stock exhaust
    stock head and cams
    stock cam gear as far as I know
    [back to] stock chip since ECU rebuild (I had a dinan v.2 in it)

...or is this NOT enough stuff to worry about a "custom" chip?

All thoughts & recommendations appreciated

Michael

ps - would love to add Split Second stuff in the future (or even Scotties') but it is not there now, nor will it be any time soon ;-(

Registered Member
    Member No: 45949 Philo is an unknown quantity at this point Philo's Avatar

Yes | No

Chip Discussion

I'm not running a chip, all stock part for now. But if I were to get one I'd go to a local dyno guy and have him run the car a few times.., estblish a base running map and then have the chip custom burned to the map. I heard that Auto Authorty can burn custom chips.., and I'm sure others out there too, but I'm not to versed on this issue. All my money was spent on the Electromotive engine management system that I still haven't installed. Family and work, need I say more.

Throw this question on the mye28 board and you're sure to get lots of responses.

Good going on the head job Seth.., mine took six weeks. If I did the project as a full time job I could have nailed it in a week including waiting a couple days for the head work.

Philo.
    --------

Registered Member
    Member No: 60903 vze33jng is an unknown quantity at this point vze33jng's Avatar

Yes | No

Customs are the best way to go in any situation.

Any time you buy a "stock" chip, you're getting a compromise between mileage, performance, and safety. When you have your car at the dyno, you tell the fella what is most important to you and he makes that come out in the chip. Of course, this involves more than just a dyno... but you see where I am going.

With my 10.75:1 pistons and cam gear on stock cams and exhaust will still run best with a custom chip. I'm a little worried about knock with the slightly higher compression, so I don't feel inclined to run until my car is being monitored by more than the basic Motronic 1.1.

I'd like to say more, but I have a six-year-old's birthday party to attend.

ta-taa
    '87 <b>528e</b> "is" 214.5k
    '88 <b>M5</b> 193k (Head removed, ready for reassembly)
    Dinan gen.1
    OEM Front & Rear Fuzz-buster

sw

Yes | No

up date -

Well, the car now sounds like an awsome bahnstormer due to the broken exhaust flange. I am trying to take it on progressively longer shake down cruises. Tonight with the exhaust sounding loud and sweet, I had a bit of a hard time keep the RPMs under wraps. Cruised some nice parkways near Mount Vernon, took a VW r32 apart (was that the "my fast" car?). Felt good.
    And to think earlier today, as I was driving an e39 528i-- I was thinking it might be time to let the e28 M5 go. No way.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information