+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 145225 toshibatom is an unknown quantity at this point toshibatom's Avatar

Yes | No

Japan Radio Replacement

This seems to be a uniquely Canadian issue. I bought a car imported from Japan. It is a 09/91 750iL Highline. The radio frequencies in Japan are different than North America. I have been talking to a lot of local car stereo people (I live in Calgary), and I think I have heard every story possible, from you need to spend a minimum of $1400 to replace everything, to I can change your head unit , that is all thatís required (but has never done it before), to Ė Iíve heard that these guys have a chip that will convert it, to Ė Check the radio, Iíve heard a lot of them have a switch on them, to Ė Itís your antenna. These were all radio shop people which scares me from using any of them.

I am looking to keep it as original as possible (it only had 22kM on it when I got it, it is beautiful).

Any experienced people out there?Toshiba Tom
    1992 750iL Highline

Icabob

Yes | No

What did your local BMW dealership say?

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 145225 toshibatom is an unknown quantity at this point toshibatom's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: What did your local BMW dealership say?

Buy a new radio, $100o estimateToshiba Tom
    1992 750iL Highline

Registered Member
    Member No: 140614 TrevorM is an unknown quantity at this point TrevorM's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Japan Radio Replacement

This is not unique just to Canada. All of North America uses the same radio standards while Europe and places like Japan use another slightly different broadcast standard. Even though different standards use the same band of frequencies, They have slightly different channel spacing. Japan is way out there with it's FM band (76 to 90Mhz) and is quite unique when compaired with the rest of the world. I don't think you would be able to convert your radio to NA standards. Best solution would be to seek out a radio from a simular year BMW for swap.

...Oh, and beware of Manchester Auto parts, They will milk you if you give them a chance!
    Trevor M

'58 Isetta 300 - British version
    '81 528i - Under restoration
    '87 635CSi Euro

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information