+ Reply to Thread
    calypso 750

Yes | No

What size and how many speakers in a '98 750iL?

i'm trying to figure out exactly what comprises the audio system of my e38 750. does anyone have a listing of how many speakers, what size they are, and if anyone has attempted to replace any/all of them? any info on the amp is also greatly appreciated.

much thanks!

mark

Ascot Green 750

Yes | No

Ten . . Count 'em . . Ten.

i'm trying to figure out exactly what comprises the audio system of my e38 750. does anyone have a listing of how many speakers, what size they are, and if anyone has attempted to replace any/all of them? any info on the amp is also greatly appreciated.

much thanks!

mark

Ascot Green 750

Yes | No

Ten . . Count 'em . . Ten.

At least that's what the '98 brochure says.

Sorry, can't shed any light on the different speaker sizes.

DHG

Please . . disregard my post below. Hit the key twice by mistake

<

much thanks!

mark

>

Henry

Yes | No

Here they are ...

The standard sound system on E38 has 10 speakers. But all E38 750 has Premium sound system with DSP. There are total 14 speakers for this system.
    - One 1/2" tweeter, one 2 1/2" midrange, and one 5 1/4" woofer in each front door.
    - One 1/2" tweeter and one 5 1/4" woofer in each of the rear door.
    - Four 5 1/4" woofers on the rear deck (2 each under the grill).

The tweeters and midranges are made by Phillips.
    The woofers are made by NOKIA (yes, the people who made the wireless phone, weird huh).
    The tape deck is made by Alpine.
    The amplifier is made by Phillips until the end of 1998, from then on, it is made by UTLOEWE (unknown in the states).
    The CD changer is made by Pioneer.

calypso 750

Yes | No

Re: Here they are ...

thanks henry... with 14 speakers, is there only one amp or multiple amps? i came across some very high quality 5-1/4 speaker & tweeter components (boston acoustics proseries 5.5)... but i'm really anxious about messing with this system. i'm especially anxious about taking the door panels off with side impact air bags.

mark

The standard sound system on E38 has 10 speakers. But all E38 750 has Premium sound system with DSP. There are total 14 speakers for this system.
    - One 1/2" tweeter, one 2 1/2" midrange, and one 5 1/4" woofer in each front door.
    - One 1/2" tweeter and one 5 1/4" woofer in each of the rear door.
    - Four 5 1/4" woofers on the rear deck (2 each under the grill).

The tweeters and midranges are made by Phillips.
    The woofers are made by NOKIA (yes, the people who made the wireless phone, weird huh).
    The tape deck is made by Alpine.
    The amplifier is made by Phillips until the end of 1998, from then on, it is made by UTLOEWE (unknown in the states).
    The CD changer is made by Pioneer.

Henry

Yes | No

upgrade...

Mark
    The system uses a single amp to power all those 14 speakers. It is locate behind the CD changer in the driver side of the trunk. You can replace the front speakers fairly easy, removing the door panel is not that difficult but it needs a little patience. Actually, I already replaced the front tweeters and woofers with MB Quart speakers. However, the sound does improve much since the stock amplifier can not drive the new speakers properly. I believe the best way is improve the system overall sound is to replace the amp. BUT,IT IS TOUGH, since the stock amp is fairly complex, it is not just an amplifier, but it also does the DSP function, convert the digital audio signal from the CD changer to analog, do the tone, balance, and fader control...
    Once I figure the whole thing out, I'll you know.

calypso 750

Yes | No

Re: upgrade...

henry,

sounds like more of a project than i'm willing to tackle right now... i appreciate your feedback, and anxiously look forward to hearing from you once you've figured it all out.

thanks again,

mark

Mark
    The system uses a single amp to power all those 14 speakers. It is locate behind the CD changer in the driver side of the trunk. You can replace the front speakers fairly easy, removing the door panel is not that difficult but it needs a little patience. Actually, I already replaced the front tweeters and woofers with MB Quart speakers. However, the sound does improve much since the stock amplifier can not drive the new speakers properly. I believe the best way is improve the system overall sound is to replace the amp. BUT,IT IS TOUGH, since the stock amp is fairly complex, it is not just an amplifier, but it also does the DSP function, convert the digital audio signal from the CD changer to analog, do the tone, balance, and fader control...

Ascot Green 750

Yes | No

Wery Inter restingk . .

Simply amazing what we can learn from this board!

DHG

B

Yes | No

Money well spent?

I've been thinking about just replacing the speakers throughout my '95 740iL (w/dsp). In your opinion, was it worth it??? I've used BA pro-series in the past, but with proper amplification. If the sound is significantly better, I'd do it in a heart beat and leave the stock amp alone. The bass is really bad coming from the rear speakers, probably due to age and use.

You wrote:
    However, the sound does improve much since the stock amplifier can not drive the new speakers properly.

Henry

Yes | No

Replacing speakers

I miss-phrased the earlier post, it should be 'The sound does NOT improve much since the stock amplifier can not drive the new speakers properly'. Actually, I do get more clarity in the sound but it is no where near what I wanted the sound to be. By the way, you may get a better result than mine with the Boston Accoustic since I just learned from MB Quart tech support that the MB quart woofer does not work very well with a sealed enclosure, which the E38 uses in the door.
    For the rear speakers, you can observe them easily by using your finger nail or a flat piece of plastic to pry on the grill of the rear deck and it will pop right up. There is no screw of any type used here. Good luck

calypso 750

Yes | No

I CHICKENED OUT!!! and i used capital letters...

GaryF

Yes | No

440 Watts not enough?

The amplifier for the premium sound system is,supposedly, 440 watts total, more than double the power of the amp for the standard system. I'm surprised that it's inadequate for the speakers.

Mark

Henry

Yes | No

It is not true 440 watts RMS continously...

GaryF
    Although BMW says that the system output total is 440w. It is a bit misleading since the stock amp max out 440 watts at 20% distortion or so (a good amp should not exceed 1% harmonic distortion at any level), and it can not continuously drive 440watts for more than 1/4 of a second I believe. Normally, a good amp maker will rate the power at RMS (Root Mean Square) , which is used in audio tech for the ability to product that much wattage continuously for a long period of time. Another factor is the rated output of some amp is only good for a certain range of audio frequency, not the whole spectrum of 20Hz ~ 20Khz (human audible spectrum). That is why you see in the some stereo store that has one brand 400 watts amp selling for $99.00 and another brand 200 watts amp selling for $500.00. The stock BMW DSP amp is OK for casual listening, but for people who is crazy about audio like myself, it is way sub-standard. However, I would not recommend anyone who is currently satisfied with the stock system to upgrade since it may not worth the cost and hastle that you have to go thru.

pdo

Yes | No

How much did it cost?

How much did you spend and is the bass tighter and more 'crisp' ? that's what I need to improve for my car too.

Thanks

calypso 750

Yes | No

Re: How much did it cost?

the bass is *very* tight & crisp--not boomy. i don't listen to rap or anything like that, i just want to hear bass if there's bass in the music.

costs:

mtx 250d amp: open box item - $225
    mtx thunder 8000 12" sub & enclosure: new on eBay - $170 (incl shipping)
    installation: circuit city - $50
    wiring - already had it in a box in garage - $0

so about $450. but what a difference...

How much did you spend and is the bass tighter and more 'crisp' ? that's what I need to improve for my car too.

Thanks

e38rules

Yes | No

u want great sound outta your e38

I made it easy and simple and.mines sounds amazing I used a amp for my.speakers only ran all new.wires for these speakers to an highs amp with 500w of power its clean its clear and.the best thing.of.all.I dont have to use.my head unit my amp turns.on when.I.turn.on my car.and I have a rca.jack.with.that plugs into my phone.from.my.amp.and amplifies the songs.from.my phone.sounds.amazing.and.amp.was.$150 ebay rca.jacks.was.$9 and wires $15 and it sound like I have a full custom sound.system with the stock speakers I will post pics of.all parts.used.as soon as.I.can
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 23.241.17.15

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information