+ Reply to Thread
    MikeWrite

Yes | No

E36 ZKW's: where to buy? HID or not?

OK. The more I research this whole issue, the more of a morass it becomes.

So I have two simple questions.

1) In your experience as a buyer, what is the best - i.e., most respected/reputable - online reseller of ZKW headlight housings for the E36?

2) Are these housings factory-designed for use with halogen or HID lamps?

I asked these simple questions as I did for two reasons:

1a) I am not interested in the "hey look over here we're great!" answers from resellers themselves. If you sell ZKWs, you have a vested interest in me buying from you, and you will naturally portray your company as _the_ place I should buy. Therefore I will ignore you. I am only interested in the experiences of ACTUAL E36 OWNERS who ACTUALLY BOUGHT ZKWs FROM A PARTICULAR RESELLER and HAVE NO VESTED INTEREST IN THE PRODUCT. This BTW also means I have decided I DEFINITELY WANT ZKWs. Posts urging me to try Depo, etc. will be ignored.

2a) Other than buying stock HID projector/lamp assemblies themselves, e.g. Bosch, I have concluded there is no better way to ensure proper HID fitment than to know if the projector housing was designed BY THE MANUFACTURER for use with halogen or HID lamps. So, if ZKW builds its E36 projector housings for use with halogen lamps, I will not try to use an HID kit in them, period. I will happily stick with the intended halogen fitment. HID is secondary to me; it's the ZKW look and quality I primarily want. If ZKWs for the E36 are designed by the factory for use with halogen bulbs only, I will ignore posts extolling how Company X's rebased HID bulbs provide perfect beam pattern in ZKW housings.

Amazing how two simple questions require such specific qualifications, isn't it? But that's the way of it in aftermarket lighting land.

So there you go. Now show me it's possible to answer lighting questions without thread hijacking by axe grinders, reseller reps, ricers etc.

Mark M

Yes | No

Think I hear crickets in here

Xman

Yes | No

Re: E36 ZKW's: where to buy? HID or not?

Ahaa!!! This thread is super old, and no one ever responded to it! I wonder why?! With the OP being pretty demanding with hi..." I'll ignore this and I'll ignore that!" It seems that everyone decided to ignore him instead! A word of advise: If you're asking for advises, try not to come across as a prick. Just my humble opinion

meGrimlock

Yes | No

Re: E36 ZKW's: where to buy? HID or not?

the original poster was not being a "prick" as you elegantly labeled him/her. they are clarifying the type of information they are seeking because they have done their homework and knows what answers he or she does not want to hear. there is a lot of misinformation and personal bias when discussing aftermarket HID as the original poster stated.

i wish i was an e36 owner with this upgrade but perhaps i can clarify 1 detail. if the ZKW headlamp assemblies are labeled as US DOT/SAE certified then they are for halogen only. in the US, HID aftermarket assemblies are not legal unless they are sealed beam system. even so the only system recently NHTSA approved were the Sylvania Xenarc systems which were discontinued for various quality reasons. if the ZKW assemblies were designed for HID, the fact that you would then have to install an HID retrofit kit into them is also illegal.

an alternative is the ZKW headlamps replace your standard bulbs with H1 bulbs. they're harder to find, but a medium-high wattage bulb that is tinted blue can give a very convincing HID look. again US regulations say 55w is the max but a 65w or 70w bulb is close to spec and lasts longer and produces less heat than those crappy 80w to 100w bulbs.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information