+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

TS wheel refurbishing

Bored again and decided to take on my Throwing Star project instead of the local powder coating shop. I realized that aside from curb rash on the left rear wheel, most damage was from pebbles getting stuck between the lip and the tips of the "stars!" My buddy has 2 sets of TS wheels and he doesn't seem to have an issue like mine. And no I don't travel on gravel roads. All four wheels had these "scars." I'm using all Wurth paints; self etching primer,primer sealer, & clear. Hopefully the finish will be as durable as powder coating after the baking process. I'm going to wait a few more days for primer sealer to cure then wet sand before adding top coat and clear. stay tuned

sw

Yes | No

Re: TS wheel refurbishing

Do you vent your oven when baking things that have a freshly painted surface? I ask because I got busted by the wife for baking something and it creating and leaving a strong odor behind.

Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

busted!

I actually baked parts in there after they have air dryed for a couple of days so, they don't smell too bad. I also have a different schedule from my spouse and bake when she is not home! :-)

Registered Member
    Member No: 60903 vze33jng is an unknown quantity at this point vze33jng's Avatar

Yes | No

Um.... you are nuts. My ol' lady would KILL me!

'87 <b>528e</b> "is" 214.5k
    '88 <b>M5</b> 193k (Head removed, ready for reassembly)
    Dinan gen.1
    OEM Front & Rear Fuzz-buster

Registered Member

Yes | No

WURTH PAINT EXPENSIVE AND SUCKS!

Just my OPINION but, I'm very disappointed in the Wurth Paint I ordered thru a local dealer.($25.00 a can)I could have paid less online but, I hate waiting for UPS and never knowing where the driver is going to leave the package. Anyway, I knew about the nozzle/can recall from a year ago. I was assured they have fixed the problems. Well, I guess not. THe first can, (after heating a few minutes in hot tap water) sprayed unevenly and towards the end, started sputtering globs and clogging. I had to use almost a whole can on one wheel to hide the glob marks. The second can sprayed for a few seconds and never did again. I haven't even touched the clear coat cans since I'm sure they are f***ck too. I'm taking remaining cans back for a refund. I'm going to use Duplicolor wheels coating...the same excellent and inexpensive paint I used on my OZ Racing wheels for my 325 last summer. The silver is not a perfect match but, it had a higher quality nozzle and paint was perfect quality! I didn't care about the fair color match since I repainted the whole wheel.($5.35 a can) Some wet sanding and polishing after a week, made the wheels look new again. Months later no chipping or scratches. Ofcourse, now I may have to paint the stars and plastic caps (in perfect condition) to make everything match. Wurth ruined my entire weekend since I spent the whole week before prepping and baking the wheels for painting! Tip: before paying for Wurth, check to see if the cans spray properly. Always make sure humidity is low and temp is at least 70F. I know its a good product w/ excellent match but, if the paint won't come out of the can what's the use?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Duplicolor Silver & clear Wheel coating

I can't find any before pics of my OZ Racing wheels but, trust me they were in bad shape. I followed all the instructions from this article:
    http://www.autopia-carcare.com/realwhda.html. More than a year has passed and they are chip or scratch free.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information