+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 115742 icabob is an unknown quantity at this point icabob's Avatar

Yes | No

Winter tires...

Just put the winters on the 540i,looking for someone that has rims for sale that will fit an 01 X5 4.4i.I would like 18" rims if possible.Have 20" rims with Toyo tires,but they are useless in winter.Icabob "Crane"
    2000 540iA...Competence software...Racing Dynamics CAI...Super Sprint performance Exhaust(resonator removed)...Euro/Clear AngelEye xenons...Clear Celis rear lights...Shadowline...Black M5 kidney...Euro plate.Dyno tuned to 347hp(At rear wheels)Just added...18"M-5 rims.

Registered Member
    Member No: 128533 OFF is an unknown quantity at this point OFF's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Winter tires...

How did you know... I had a pretty embarassing Saturday night drive home from the Oilers game... Put winter rubber today.

My mother-in-law recommends sand bags in the trunk. I tried to explain about 50/50 vs 60/40 front to rare balance but she still is trying to influence me through my wife. Anybody does this (bags I mean not influencing through my wife)?

Icabob

Yes | No

Sand bags...

I've had a bmw for atleast the last 7 years,and have never had to put sand bags in the trunk? I've never even heard that from anyone before,but if it would give you better piece of mind,do'er.

Registered Member
    Member No: 112220 MJayM is an unknown quantity at this point MJayM's Avatar

Yes | No

Sandbags - Only in the back of a pickup truck

Jay
    '83 380SL
    '88 735i
    '03 325i

Registered Member

Yes | No

found some tips for winter driving on the internet... tip #8 out of 17.... Like the final part...

A lot of folks ask us about carrying sand in the back of the car.
    If you have a rear-wheel-drive vehicle that needs help in the snow, you can put a few bags of sand over the rear axle. Draw an imaginary line between the two rear wheels. That's the location of the rear axle, which is usually towards the front of the trunk.

The sand won't do as much good at the very back of the trunk as it will right over the axle. In fact, you can make things worse by putting too much weight too far back. In essence, by weighing down the rear end too much, you "lift up" the front end and lose some steering and braking abilities. So be sure to locate the right spot to place the extra weight.

If you're putting bags of sand inside your car's passenger compartment, be sure to attach them securely to the seats with the seat belts. In an accident, they can become projectiles. And who wants to be fatally dope-slapped by a 50-pound bag of sand? Not us.

On a front-wheel-drive car, don't bother with sandbags. An enormous weight (the engine, that is) is already over the wheels that are powered.

Finally, remember: If you don't have sand, you can always substitute a mother-in-law. If you can squeeze her into the trunk, all the better.

DoubleApexCa

Yes | No

I drive a 2002 M3 through the winter with a 17" wheel/winter tire setup. Even with 300+ HP going to the rear wheels, I've never had a need to use sandbags as added weight.

This makes sense for other vehicles that don't have nearly as good weight distribution such as pickup trucks or Mustangs/Camaros....LOL but with the near 50/50 distribution that BMW's get you, adding weight to the trunk may upset the balance of things and put you into a severe understeer condition....

My 2 Cents
    Glenn

Registered Member

Yes | No

sound pretty reasonable...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information