+ Reply to Thread
    Todd Frye

Yes | No

Mobil 1 out, Castrol in

Any strong reasons (as apposed to feelings) against draining the Mobil 1 and replacing with an SAE oil? I am doing a slow restore on the M5, and will not be driving it much, except for the monthly engine flexing. Seems like an SAE oil will adhere to metal surfaces better than the synthetic for these extended down times. Thanks for your comments. Todd Frye

Registered Member
    Member No: 64024 colt45 is an unknown quantity at this point colt45's Avatar

Yes | No

The manual says 15W/40 or 15W/50

I know everyone has their own opinion on this matter, but I personally feel best using factory viscosity recommendations- which say nothing of synthetic vs non. I would probably stick with synthetic myself, but its not like Castrol is a poor quality oil. just my .02--Colt
    88 M6
    88 944 Turbo S

Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

Keep Mobil 1

See my post concerning Mobil 1 a week or so ago. My car sat for two years and maybe started it up twice. If you have been using Mobil 1 I wouldn't really worry about any start up wear. Most mineral oil no matter how sticky will eventually drain into the pan. The great thing about synthetic is it's thinner and will reach the vital parts in the head to protect faster than a thicker mineral oil. I stop using Castrol Synthethic after reading a government report advising them to disclose to the public their formulation is no longer 100% synthetic years ago. After teardown of my engine w/ 250,000+ miles the minimal wear on internal parts convinced me to stick with Mobil 1. Just my 02 cents

Bruce in Canada

Yes | No

any fresh oil should work fine

this discussion is splitting hairs about the difference in protecting the motor. The way to keep the engine nice inside is to store it in a DRY place. There is a thing called a Carbag (large ziploc bag) that you drive the car into and zip shut, and place several bags of dissicant inside. I would think that is better protection than the difference in oils.
    Now I think that if you are going to use the oil... ( run the engine) for 15k km then you can go to the expense of synthetic. If you plan to drain the oil (I hate the environmental waste of overfrequent draining) then use the cheap stuff.

B

Bruce in Canada

Yes | No

My proof that the carbag is good..

I use the brake discs as an indicator of how well stored the car is.

In my parking garage, my daily driver gets orange discs EVERY DAY, there are 30 other cars driving in and out every day dropping salt and slush on the floor. It is humid and salty in there. I use the Car bag and store a car in my second spot there. After 8 months of storage, when I unzip the bag, the disc are PERFECT... like a mirror shiny.
    Keep in mind that the bag only works if the car is placed in there SUPER dry. Never wash it before you store it. (a week ahead of time)

I also dont think monthly starting is the right thing to do. the engine wear is 99% at start up.. - Why do this 6 times for nothing?

Bruce

Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

i agree

I only started mine to move it and the other time cause I miss driving it. Took it around the block a few times. Just store it and keep the battery on a trickle charger.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information