+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 104751 Grey.Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point Grey.Coupe's Avatar

Yes | No

Advice/Perspectives

Hello,

I am a happy 645Ci [coupe] owner, who has been repeatedly tempted by the Z8.

The car is simply gorgeous, and I would like to ask some advice from Z8 owners.

I have found a 2001 that seems to be in pristine shape, at a dealer willing to take my 6 car in trade at reasonable prices for both.

I recognize these are very different cars, and I am a happy 645 camper, but I just keep finding myself interested in the Z8.

What should I look for? Are the problems people report valid, heater malfunction, rear windows coming unglued, water on the floorboards? Plus I am tall, is there plenty of headroom?

What about the infamous shock tower distortion? Recent posts suggest this is a far more rare problem than originally reported, and that the Performance Package from BMW resolves the problem.

Would benefit greatly from candid input by Z8 owners...Are you happy with the car, would you buy it again if you had it to do over again? Is beauty more than skin deep?

Thanks--I really appreciate your thoughts.

Some great cars over the years; Yellow 1966 Corvette convertible, '71 240Z, 1978 280Z, '80 MGB, 1986 MBZ 300E,'88 BMW L6, 1990 MBZ 300 CE-24; 1997 E420, 2003 CLK 430, 2004 350Z, 2004 BMW 645 Ci, 1988 MBz 560SL

Registered Member
    Member No: 121281 robz82001 is an unknown quantity at this point robz82001's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Advice/Perspectives

Owning a Z8 is a unique experience...and the bashful need not apply as you will recieve more attention in your Z8 than you ever had with ANY of your previous cars. It is arguably one of the most beautiful cars on the roads today...and quite rare. Most people I've met do not even know what the car is! When I show them a picture, they usually say oh..that looks vaguely familiar (perhaps seen in the movies....007's "The World is Not Enough"....or Jackie Chan's "The Tuxedo"). But, like an attractive supermodel, there are quirks about the car...minor for the most part. The items you have mentioned are some of the problems folks on this board have experienced. Many of the problems can be fixed w/out having to go to dealer thanks to detailed instructions by many on this and other boards. As for headroom. I'm 5'10" and have plenty of room....but 95% of my driving is topless. The shock tower distortion issue has been resolved and is a relatively cheap fix. I'd argue the Z8 is the most inexpensive "exotic" on the market to maintain. I bought my Z8 without even driving it and I had only seen 1 in person in my life. Had it shipped halfway across the country and delivered to my doorstep. I was that much enamored by it. Like any long-term relationship, there are bumps along the way....but love is love.

StuM

Yes | No

Re: Advice/Perspectives - Wonderful auto!

Some of the items you note have been experienced, but not by everyone on every car. The few things I had, I either took care of myself or the dealership handled, with great service and care. If you're buying from a BMW dealer, get it CPO'ed, for sure. Well worth a few bucks more for peace of mind. Really a very reliable car and a very unique experience to own and drive. A great combination of power, touring and handling, all in one very beautiful package.
    Be prepared to "wow" yourself every single time you walk into your garage. It is that beautiful a car. And forget about driving or parking without drawing a crowd and/or having your picture taken over and over.
    I've driven a 650 and M6 and while very nice, they really don't convey the driving experience and feel of the Z8. I also have a new Ford GT and a new ZO6 and while both of them are wild animals, the Z8 is more of a "total package" and much more livable everyday.
    Buy it, you won't be disappointed.
    StuM

FWK-Z3

Yes | No

About the only way you could posibly be disappointed with the Z8 is if you are expecting practicality. However as exotics go, it is far and away the most practical among them.

Unlike the exotics from the other side of the Alps, the Z8 is timeless. In my opinion there are few exotics that don't look dated once the shock value wears off, and those haven't been made for a few decades. A Ferrari 250, a 275 or a Lamborghini Miura look as good today as they did in the sixties. A Countach currently has the appeal of a Nehru jacket. The Z07/Z8 are approaching their tenth anniversary and still literally stop traffic. This year I had the experience of driving me past the Lodge at Pebble Beach on <i>that</i> weekend. I was suprised at how many flashes went off among the crowd as I went past.

As much was spent under the body as on it. The Z8 has superb performance and handling. The M-series engine is amazingly tractable - you can trundle along in six on the freeway or hit the rev limiter all too easily.

I volunteer at an auto museum, and one of the things you learn is that cars transcend their owners. We have a couple of Duesenbergs that are probably worth a bit more because of who owned them, but you and I are not Clark Gable or Howard Hughes. Teh Z8 will most liekly be counted among the world's great automobiles in the not too distant future. One of the things of which you are acutely aware is that there is a finite number of Z8s and you really don't "own" one as much as you are entrusted with its care.As tempting as the engine and chassis are, you don't want to fling it around with reckless abandon. It never goes to the shopping mall.

The Z8 is very much still a show car. Teh shiny black surfaces on the dash and console collect fingerprints and dust very quickly and ae hard to clean without leaving small scratches. You can easily spend four hours cleaning the interior, on the other hand, they are pretty enjoyble hours. It has some obvious egonomic quirks (surprisingly, the center-mounted instruments bother you a whole lot less than you think they would) -- you have to reach hrough the stering wheel to turn theheadlights on, and the climate controls are pretty ruimentary for a car of the Z8's price range; however i-drive and a video screen would be very out of place on a Z8.

Any BMW is a nice car and a joy to own. A 645 is a <i>very</i> nice car, but only 5000 people at any one time will ever own a Z8. It is an experience you will never forget or regret. If you really, really love cars it is worth livng in a house trailer and eating cold chile out of the can to have one.

Registered Member
    Member No: 34938 Wldeyefoto is an unknown quantity at this point Wldeyefoto's Avatar

Yes | No

Comments below say it all. Nice job guys!

Grease Monkey

Registered Member
    Member No: 41339 joea2 is an unknown quantity at this point joea2's Avatar

Yes | No

I agree with everything, except,I think it can go to the shopping mall. I used mine as my "Daily Driver" for 44,000 smiles. It is now semi-retired and still a joy to drive.
    LUV MY Z8!!!!!!!!!!!! [IMG]

Jack

Yes | No

I agree with Joe as I often do...

I just moved to Naples, Florida and now drive my Z8 to my office almost every day. I wouldn't take it into Manhattan when I lived in NY (too many potholes) but when the roads are nice and there's no chance for snow it makes a great daily driver.

I can see it when I look out my window and at least once a day I watch someone walking around it checking it out.

I drove the new Porsche 997 a few weeks ago and it really doesn't compare to driving a Z8. The Z8 is more....visceral? Is that the right word? And it is FAR more attractive. Ask anyone.

Anyway, as far as "exotics" go, I have had absolutely no problems with mine. It is as inexpensive to maintain as any "luxury" car but it's a helluva lot more fun to drive. Nothing compares.

Lastly, you'll never find a more energetic and passionate group of enthusiasts that make up the online community of owners of any other car. This board (and the other one) and it's members are truly dedicated to (and in love with) this incredible little car. How many other cars inspire such passion?

Seriously, try to name another car (priced up to 2X more than a Z8) that has such a devoted following?

Registered Member
    Member No: 44681 Z8Bob is an unknown quantity at this point Z8Bob's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm with Jack & Joe

I don't have much to add to the comments of the other posters but to note stated, I have used it as a daily driver, to the mall & work. Would I leave it parked out in downtown LA? Nah!

I shed 10 years everytime I drive it. TDIW too*

*Top Down In Winter

Registered Member
    Member No: 33791 Z8mania is an unknown quantity at this point Z8mania's Avatar

Yes | No

Me too. +1 to everyone.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information