+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 132941 canadian8er is an unknown quantity at this point canadian8er's Avatar

Yes | No

need a cd changer...

I have discovered that the changer that used to be in my 750 was a Sony CDX-5B912. Does anyone have one of these that they are willing to part with or know of a comparable unit that will plug into the existing harness?

Thanks so much!

1991 850i, J-Spec, Custom Color
    1991 850i, J-Spec, Granite Silver
    1991 750il Highline, J-Spec
    1992 Benz 600sel, J-Spec
    1992 Benz 600sel, Norwegian Spec
    2005 Dodge Ram Hemi R/T

Registered Member
    Member No: 75402 m735is is an unknown quantity at this point m735is's Avatar

Yes | No

Don't know about compatability-

but I have a 10 disc Sony CDX-A20 from my 87 535is that was used with a CD commander and an Alpine CD Shuffle to hook it up to the stock non CD head unit.
    What style plug does the unit you have use? How many pins?
    And how was it used in your car? What head etc...

Registered Member
    Member No: 132941 canadian8er is an unknown quantity at this point canadian8er's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Don't know about compatability-

My head unit is a sony XR-5B925. as for the plug, the weird thing is that, unlike all other BMW changers that I have seen, the connection I have that is to receive the cd changer is female, all the others I have seen are male - very weird. As for number of pins, I would have to count the number of holes in the BUS connection but there is nothing to say that they get all used - but I would assume that they would. As for how was the unit used in my car - my head unit controls the changer. Does your changer have a male or female end to it?

Cheers and thanks for the reply!

1992 Benz 600sel, J-Spec
    2005 Dodge Ram Hemi R/T

Registered Member

Yes | No

13 pin male

The changer has a short 13 pin male plug which plugged into the Sony RM-X2 commander, the commander then has RCA cables going out to the Alpine CD shuttle and a wire connecting the remote control. The CD shuttle then is connected to the various radio connections.

|

That's sort of the shape of the round plug with the upper and lower centered. The upper dash is just an alignment tab.

Registered Member

Yes | No

here's what I have in my car...

http://mydrive.roadfly.com/photos/pic.php?u=132941UQjJM&i=6128

http://mydrive.roadfly.com/photos/pic.php?u=132941UQjJM&i=6129

Does this look like what you mean?

Thanks so much Steve!

1992 Benz 600sel, J-Spec
    2005 Dodge Ram Hemi R/T

Registered Member
    Member No: 14327 Highline is an unknown quantity at this point Highline's Avatar

Yes | No

yes, round, 13 pins, but

in my car the cable connectors are male on the side of the control panel in the dash and in the trunk where it connects to the CD/AMP/Radio.
    But yours is female on the cable.
    Maybe there was a connection cable with both sides male which they took off with the other equipment.
    I am 100% sure, because all the stuff is presently here on my table, as I disassembled it all from my parts car. The trunk AMP has only female plug connectors, the control panel in the dash and in the rear armrest also. Just the connecting cables have 13 pins round male plugs.
    Model: Sony CDX 5B817, came out of a 1988 750iL Highline.

Registered Member

Yes | No

My changer would plug into that connector.

If you would like a pic of what I'm taliking about, email me and I'll send it to you.

Registered Member

Yes | No

If you could send me a pic that would be great!

1992 Benz 600sel, J-Spec
    2005 Dodge Ram Hemi R/T

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: yes, round, 13 pins, but

The weird thing is that I can not find an amp anywhere in the car yet when I play a cassette in the deck, there is sound. So, it leads me to believe that the head unit is self amplified. The only place I haven't looked for an amp is under the dash.

Interesting how the cars vary so much from one to another...

1992 Benz 600sel, J-Spec
    2005 Dodge Ram Hemi R/T

Registered Member

Yes | No

Where do I send it?

Registered Member
    Member No: 14327 Highline is an unknown quantity at this point Highline's Avatar

Yes | No

not under the dash - pics

There is no space for that big piece of electronics.
    Basically they were all mounted in the trunk. Some under the parcel shelf on the left side, and I have seen it on my friends 750iL Highline from 12/1992 at the left side in the trunk room behind the carpet piece. So remove the carpet piece on the lft side.

On that side inside you can also see some kind of plastic boxes, if you feel insode you notice rubber flaps.
    That is the de-airation system of the cabin. It goes from the cabin into the trunk and from there thru these plastic vent boxes downwards outside the car. Not many people have ever seen it.It is also shown on my website with the link to Take.

here some pics about location where he repaired the amp

My website
    http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/auto.htm

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Where do I send it?

you can send it to:

[email protected]

Thanks so much!

1992 Benz 600sel, J-Spec
    2005 Dodge Ram Hemi R/T

Registered Member

Yes | No

the mystery continues...

So I just went down and looked at the left side behind the carpet. actually, I ripped out all the carpet lining in the trunk and there is no amp there. the ony thing that is there, on the left hand side, is a white 6 pin female connector that is taped off. there is no sigh, that I could see, of where the amp might have been (no indications of scratch marks, like from a screw or nut and bolt or anything).

So now we have just added another level to this mystery. Do you know if BMW ever installed self powered head units in these cars at all?

Do you think getting a build sheet for the car would shed any light on this at all?

Thanks again for your efforts, this is proving to be a very interesting little adventure...

1992 Benz 600sel, J-Spec
    2005 Dodge Ram Hemi R/T

Registered Member

Yes | No

you will not get it

"Do you think getting a build sheet for the car would shed any light on this at all?"

No, because I wrote to BMW Germany for a complete option list of my Highline and I got it, but it says, prepared for audio/radio.
    That means the antenna amplifier behind the C-pillar and that stuff.
    But the actual audio equipment was added in Japan by BMW Japan because of the speciality with the frequency etc.

The brackets for my Sony CDX are fixed under the parcel shelf with 4 small rivets, very difficult to see the small holes after they may have removed these.

The cable loom from the trunk to the front dash is under the trunk carpet, goes from there thru a hole in the metal between trunk/cabin on passenger side at the lowest point on right/passenger side. From there under rear passenger seat thru the cable channel under the doors inside cabin (you only can see that if you remove the carpet and a white plastic cover) to the front passenger side legroom, and from there under the carpet to the rear of center console into the dash from underneath dash.
    I just removed that one from my parts car last weekend, that is why I know it.

I believe best is you make a complete new installation.

You can see the cable here in the first pic, it is the thick black one where I sit. You can also see the cable channels. For some reasons I cannot make a direct link, as you know.
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=27234

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: you will not get it

I have my cd changer mount in the same place on my car - under the shelf on the driver's side.

I agree it sounds as though I will have to gut the system but it was worth a shot. I thank all of you, especially you highline, for your help with this.

Those pics from the other forum are crazy - what a mess of electrical spaghetti! Still, looks like fun though.

Thanks again for all of your help!

1992 Benz 600sel, J-Spec
    2005 Dodge Ram Hemi R/T

Registered Member

Yes | No

Not all e32s have an amp.

that might be interesting for you. Johan just posted that on 'the other forum':

If you have the HiFi system (which is an option in most countries) the amp should be located behind the carpet on the leftsude in the luggage compartment. Or as shogun already stated it could be under the parcelshelf for the two component systems.

To see if you have the HiFi system just look at the door. If you have a set of tweeters in the triangle area where the outside mirror is located you have it. When there is just a cover you don't.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Not all e32s have an amp.

I have a small speaker (about 2" in diameter) on top of the dash, in a triangular shaped mesh thing, right next to where the doow meets the body - so I am assuming that is what you mean. I also have a speaker in the kick panel (about 5" in diameter).

Does this sound like the hifi system to you?

1992 Benz 600sel, J-Spec
    2005 Dodge Ram Hemi R/T

Registered Member

Yes | No

not HiFi

These tweeters for the HiFi system are installed at the doors.
    In the triangle area where the outside mirror is located.

What you are refering to are 2.5 inch speaker for high tones on the dash near the A-column.
    item 6
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GC81&mospid=47354&btnr=65_0856& hg=65&fg=95&hl=95

# 16 Hifi is Tweeter
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GC81&mospid=47354&btnr=65_0156& hg=65&fg=20&hl=3Shogun's E32 Tech Tips: http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/auto.htm

Registered Member

Yes | No

Tweeter look like this

http://www.wir-sprechen-deutsch.net/Ebay/Peters/2910/16.JPG

click hereShogun's E32 Tech Tips: http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/auto.htm

Jon Thomas

Yes | No

Re: need a cd changer...

Hi,

I have just purchased one of these sony 10 disc changers for installation into my wifes BMW E90 which I am told will fit.

However, I have not taken delivery of the unit yet so I am not 100% certian that it will fit, if I find that it doesn't then obviously it will become surplus to requirements and I will be selling it on.

If you are interested, let me know via email, and I will let you know as soon as I have tried it.

I hope this is of help.

Regards

Jon Thomas

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information