+ Reply to Thread
    mitchc

Yes | No

cooling system bleed instruction for my kid's M20

I need to get a "how too" description and picture of the thermostat bleed screw to help my Daughter with her m20 at school. I have a link to the bleeding instruction page from Bruno's site, but would like a pic of the T-stat housing to send her. Anyone know what size socket she needs for the bleed screw, (I know she has an adjustable wrench maybe some sockets too).
    Any wisdom on how best to explain in a manner that she won't be confused too badly

Thanx in advnce

jeffo

Yes | No

Re: cooling system bleed instruction for my kid's M20

I'm pretty sure it is 8mm. A 5/16 socket may fit. The key to bleeding, IMHO, is to put as much water in the system as you can before starting the engine. Put as much water as you can in the block and the top radiator hose before you connect it. Also squeeze the bottom hose and try to work as much air out. Then start it and open the bleed screw, watch out for the fan. As it warms up water will come out the bleed screw. Turn it off, then let it cool, fill it again and repeat. Monitor and add water for the next couple of days.

Jeff
    95 525i
    87 325is

Registered Member
    Member No: 139505 gpalmer is an unknown quantity at this point gpalmer's Avatar

Yes | No

If it is anything like my old 7, jacking up the thermostat side of the car can help too..... or just parking up a hill at an angle, ya know."If a gentlemen opens a car door for his girlfriend, then either the car is new, or the girlfriend is." Anon.

mitchc

Yes | No

Thanx guys, I'm now worried she may have overheated it and blown headgasket "it's running really rough like it wants to stall..."

Oiy!

Unregistered

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchc View Post
    Thanx guys, I'm now worried she may have overheated it and blown headgasket "it's running really rough like it wants to stall..."

Oiy!
    Sounds more like there's still air in her system, just keep bleeding it

Best way to check a headgasket is to look for oil in the coolant or sweet weird exhaust smells and looks cloudy
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.108.68.208

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information