+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 50165 bruce12861 is an unknown quantity at this point bruce12861's Avatar

Yes | No

Trying to contact:: Karen1122

I am having the same problem you did with the top. Did:

installing a new "latch mechanism and cable"

solve your problem.

TX Bruce

Registered Member
    Member No: 141616 Karen1122 is an unknown quantity at this point Karen1122's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Trying to contact:: Karen1122

Hi Bruce,

I did have the car into the dealer for a replacement of the latch mechanism and cable. This seemed to do the trick as I have not had the problem since, however, I have not had the top down too many times due to the weather.

Registered Member
    Member No: 50165 bruce12861 is an unknown quantity at this point bruce12861's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks, my car is in the shop now with the same exact problem you described. Very frustrating, because it comes and goes at random. I have passed on your fix, I hope they will check it out. I live in Florida so I Use the top all the time. Thanks again

Registered Member
    Member No: 141616 Karen1122 is an unknown quantity at this point Karen1122's Avatar

Yes | No

Bruce,

FYI I found my paperwork and the Service Code is "676105200 - Drive unit for convertible top (convertible top locking) Permanent failure"

Good Luck

Registered Member

Yes | No

Car has been in service for 4 days and they claim that they fixed a switch that monitors top position and they will test the car for another day. This is the 5th time the car has been in the shop and now over 20 days for failures of the convertible to work or getting stuck. I will see if they fixed it, my confidence level is low.
    Thanks

Registered Member

Yes | No

Bruce - HELP!!! - My top trouble is back!!!

I had 3 days over the holiday period where the top was up, the "top open" alarm was on, and the trunk would not open. 2 distinct problems: (1)dealer not open to see the problem in full bloom and (2) Christmas presents in the trunk were not accessable.

Did the work you had done with the sensor solve the problem? If so, do you have a description (service codes) of the work that your dealer did?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

Does it stop with the shark fins sticking up????

If so there is information on this, they modify one of the sensors on the frame.
    I believe Bruce contacted me some time ago and this was the resolution with his top.
    I have had a couple myself and this fixes those when done right.

You may want to take a picture of the top in its failed position as sometimes it works fine for the dealer, this will give them an idea as to what is going on.

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

Hmmm, went through the threads, I may be..........

....mixed up as I thought Bruce had this fix done already, but maybe not.
    Help me out here. :)

Registered Member
    Member No: 32350 destro is an unknown quantity at this point destro's Avatar

Yes | No

TAKE IT BACK!!! Read inside

most states lemon law kicks in at 3 visits for same issue or 20 or 30 days total in the shop... once you mention lemon law to BMWNA... they take it more seriously. especially since you may meet the 3 visit rule soon.

Keep taking it back... last thing you need is to be scared to drive your $80,000 car further than 10 miles from your home, cuz your scared it'll break or roof get stuck. You have a great car thats fun to drive and is "rare" on the road. This shouldn't be happening.

also check out w w w . b i m m e r f e s t . c o m their 6 series forums are really active!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

You must a ambulance chaser

“Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

'87 325is The best ever
    ALUMINUM BUMPER APPRECIATION ASSOCIATION (ABAA)
    Membership ID (00302)
    Joined September 14, 2005

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Also some updated parts for older (pre 08/2005)

verts according to SI B54 17 06. This was a November 2006 release.

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Bruce - HELP!!! - My top trouble is back!!!

The top seems to be working, they replaced a sensor or switch that monitors positions, I will try to find my work order and post the specifics.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Hmmm, went through the threads, I may be..........

You are both right, I have had the top fixed about 5 times for similar but different problems:

1. Pump failed and was replaced.

2. Top would get stuck going down, after numerous false attempts they modified a sensor and that fixed the problem for about a year, but never ran smooth.

3. Recently developed intermittent problem that top would say it was open even when closed and then wouldn't move at all and trunk only open with key and rear window frozen. After a few attempts they replaced a sensor they said tells the computer what position the top is in (?6 position sensor) and so far okay. I will see when I get home if I have a part number.

After many many diffenernt recurring problems, bmw has told me they will buy my car back similar to the fl lemon law provisions. I am waiting on details and to see if this works out. If so I will try a 2007. It is by no means a swapa swap but a better financial deal then a straight trade in.

Registered Member

Yes | No

ANGLE OF ROTATION SENSOR

THEY REPLACED MY "ANGLE OF ROTATION SENSOR" 54-34-8-268-997 SENSOR.
    hope that helps

Registered Member
    Member No: 32350 destro is an unknown quantity at this point destro's Avatar

Yes | No

Read FL Lemon LAW.!!!

I hate to say it... read up on lemon law... BMW may offer you a nice trade in value.. when in fact you are entitled to MOST, if not ALL of your money back!

Geez.... funny someone else is getting offered a car buy back!!!

Bruce.. sounds like you have a pretty good dealership to offer that!!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Read FL Lemon LAW.!!!

I read the FL lemon law you get your miles/120,000 miles back. I have about 22k miles so it is 18% removed and get the rest back. Fl has a website that explains it all. It works out better than a trade in.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information