+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 147050 FeedNfrenZ is an unknown quantity at this point FeedNfrenZ's Avatar

Yes | No

I can't put gas in the tank

My wife has a 2000 XKR and suddenly she is unable to pump gas into the tank. I took it to the gas station to confirm. After trying different angles with the nosel and pumping little by little I was able to get 6 gallons into the tank. I acts like the tank is full and the pump kicks off. You see the fuel kick back at the fill then it drains down. What the?

MrHill

Yes | No

Re: I can't put gas in the tank

I have had that happen to me a few times at the pump. I always thought it was the pump at the station because I just moved to a different pump and had no problems. Haven't really looked into it since it only happened a few times.

2000 XKR

Rob

Yes | No

Happened to me as well, dealer said it was a valve in the filler hose that I could unstick by forcing a tube down it (the service guy told me that over the phone, they didn't have the car), which Vic said it wasn't. I believe Vic. It's happened about three times to me, it always works again in a day or two.

tresamore

Yes | No

This reminds of 2 people I used to work with. 1 guy had a new Jeep and a breather vent tube had become blocked and the fuel pump sucked the plastic fuel tank down to the point where it would only take 2 gallons. Another person had a mid 80's XJ6 w/ twin tanks and the switch over plumbing screwed up and sucked one of the tanks down to 3 gallons. I saw a pic of the tank after they changed it and it looked like crumpled paper. Hopefully this isn't your problem.

Lake

Yes | No

It is possible the CCV, canister control valve, is not working properly and allowing only small amounts of gas into the tank at a time.

Registered Member
    Member No: 147050 FeedNfrenZ is an unknown quantity at this point FeedNfrenZ's Avatar

Yes | No

Lake......... can you explain the CCV? I put gas in, the gas fills the inlet pipe up to the cap, I push a small plastic hose down the pipe and open the check valve, the fuel rushes into the tank but also gurgles back at me like it isn't getting a vent. I put the small plastic hose in the fill neck to hold the check valve open, slowly pump gas and the fill neck still fills the gurgles back and the fuel goes in. It seems like the tank isn't venting? How is that possible? Isn't the vent pipe on top of the fuel fill pretty much unclogable? or is the check valve the real issue? How to prove?

Lake

Yes | No

Last year we had a check engine light with the code of P0455, large evaporative leak. What happened was the CCV was stuck open because of debris from the vapor pipe. The vapor pipe and CCV were replaced and no more evap leak.

The reason I suspect you may have a bad CCV is because the service manager said the opposite of the problem we had was where the CCV is not working properly and only small amounts of gas can be pumped into the tank at a time, such as your having. Venting very little or not at all.
    The canister valve was $71.22 plus 1.5 hours of labor.

Hope this helps.

Registered Member
    Member No: 144338 edkozlosky is an unknown quantity at this point edkozlosky's Avatar

Yes | No

I recently had the same problem. My CCV had been replaced a while ago per a TSB for corrosion. Was in the shop twice and problem was found the second time - purge valve. Was replaced a month or so a go and problem is gone. Purge valve is ~$100, 1 hr labor. Located under left front wheel splash guard.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks, Lake. Just one more question. Where is the CCV? I can't find it on my service CD. Is it maybe called something else?

Lake

Yes | No

In the JTIS it is called the "Canister Close Valve". The instructions say to take off the left hand fender splash shield which I'm reasonably certain is referring to the left rear as that is where the filler tube and gas tank are. From the CD directions, section 303-13, it looks to be an easy operation with the removal of the tire and splash shield being the most time consuming.

Good luck.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I think that I've found the problem. The Evaporative emission canister (charcoal canister) must be clogged. I disconnected the canister vent at the tank and was able to fill it with no problem.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Is it possible that the CCV is closing the canister that I refered too? I don't have a full grasp of the logic. Any help would be appreciated.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Took the tire off today and tested the CCV. It looks like that's the problem. I have vacuum, 12 volts to solenoid but it doesn't open. Thank you Lake for the help

Registered Member

Yes | No

Replaced the CCV but the problem is still there. Could the problem actually be the Carbon Canister?

Registered Member

Yes | No

I finally got to the bottom of this issue. It was a stuck venting solenoid after the second carbon canister.

Lake

Yes | No

Some of the problems sure can be pesky son-of-a-guns to find. Glad to hear it is corrected.

Regards

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information