+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frame Fix

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 75086 z8seth is an unknown quantity at this point z8seth's Avatar

Yes | No

Frame Fix

Author: sethz8 on 2006-11-22 at 20:35:50 (posted from: Host: cache-rtc-ac07.proxy.aol.com IP: 152.163.100.136)

Subject: Re: Does this mean (21 views)

Message: I am really confused. We went from "do not drive our cars at all or a minor pot hole will cause major damage" to hearing that the German club that started the whole discussion feels only a severe impact will damage our cars. Before the Z8, I owned a NSX for 9 years. All aluminum, and after 50,000 miles, no problem with the suspension. If the Z8 really need this fix, wouldn't every Audi A8, or every post 2005 Jaguar XJ8 and the new XK also need a fix? They are all also all aluminum construction. I do not mind paying for the fix if it really serves a purpose. After all the back and forth on this issue, not to mention the LSD discussions, I am not convinced.

Registered Member
    Member No: 33791 Z8mania is an unknown quantity at this point Z8mania's Avatar

Yes | No

just like stepping off a curb the wrong way

If you have an impact at the right angle you can cause problems to your frame. If you read the Z8 Clubs latest communication they say that after investigation every car with this issue was due to an accident. My take- get the performance pack as its good preventative maintenance and then go and drive the car in confidence. Use common sense- avoid potholes, especially big ones. There are impacts out there that are hard enough that when you hit them you could say you had an accident. This goes for lots of sports cars, not just the Z8.

z8seth

Yes | No

Re: just like stepping off a curb the wrong way

My confusion is that I know that BMW offered this"fix" as a forced answer to the pre-mature "NOISE" that some owners started making. Does any one have 100% proof that this fix really provides any real world help? I pay no credence to lowered value with out the fix. Just because some owners cried wolf and irresponsibly went to a magazine with out carefully checking their information, does not mean we have to shell out 5 grand to cover their reckless behavior. Remeber the LSD issue. That seems to have disappeared. I will only do the fix if I know it is really serves a purpose, and is not a placebo designed by BMW, to shut up some owners who seem to never be satisfied. Again my question is, why wouldn't every aluminum production car need the same fix? There are alot more Audi A8, that drive through severe winters, and have high mileage. I did not read about a problem with them in Businessweek.

Registered Member
    Member No: 15175 michaelflatley is an unknown quantity at this point michaelflatley's Avatar

Yes | No

If having an open differential..

on this car does not bother you, I would suggest that your driving style will unlikely put your car into a compromising situation and therefore the investment needed for the fix may not make sense for you. Just watchout for potholes. Most BMWs will deform a shocktower on hitting one just right (from the mouths of the service dept at my dealer).Michael

Registered Member
    Member No: 33791 Z8mania is an unknown quantity at this point Z8mania's Avatar

Yes | No

IMHO you should get the performance pack done

my suggestion is to politely speak with the dealership management and see if they can speak with BMW NA on your behalf to see if they would be willing to cover the costs as you are only doing this out of fear which you are not even sure if its real. JMHO.

Registered Member
    Member No: 26121 z8madness is an unknown quantity at this point z8madness's Avatar

Yes | No

So don't get it!

Why should we care if you aren't convinced. If you read dwz8's post, you would understand that reinforcing the strut tower can only help..proof or not. I have PROOF that the car CAN be damaged in normal driving, so I'm getting it, and I HOPE it helps.2001 Black/Crema

macfly

Yes | No

Seth....

Firstly no one went to any magazine, an internet based business journalist who is a car enthusiast found the story on my site, and telephoned me, catching me off guard. He was known to me through the Porsche track day community, so I didn't really think of him as someone who'd cause such a furor, so I outlined the issue to him. That was it - hindsight is 20/20, and I wouldn't do it again. The upside is that this was one of the factors that helped get us a fix, along with some very serious legal pressure applied by other owners.

Now if you think that this whole issue is a phantasm keep your runflat tires, don't put the PP in, and drive happy.

However please do not insult the rest of us who have seen, owned and photographed countless domed shock towers, and worse. This issue is VERY real, and the fact that only a handful of owners bothered to do the secondary inspections in Europe no way negates the reality of this issue. However BMW's concern and help for all the car's original owners here in the USA has revealed, as Z8Bob long ago predicted, an honorable outcome. It has taken some time to get to a point where I can honestly say I am once again happy with BMW NA, BMW AG and owning a BMW Z8, but right now I am delighted with all three.

If you are delighted with your car the way it is then go drive it, but please stop bleating on about this like a lost little lamb, this issue is now behind us, and it is you who are raking the coals all over again.

Registered Member
    Member No: 21699 metzger is an unknown quantity at this point metzger's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Frame Fix

I've said this in other forums, but the truth is that you have no choice but to install the fix to preserve the resale value of your car. Regardless of whether or not there's a real problem, there's a perception of one and in the future cars without the fix will likely be worth a lot less money than those with it. Obviously, if there is a problem and your car has no damage now, then that's another reason to get it done. I've had it done on mine, and though I haven't had a great deal of opportunity to drive it hard afterwards, thought I sensed some increased front-end stiffness. I think your only choice is to find a dealer who won't rip you off to install it - the range of prices people have been quoted is dramatic, from getting it comped by the dealer (or BMW) to several thousand dollars.

MikeMike Metzger
    2002 Z8 (silver/black)
    2006 650 sport coupe (silver gray/chateau)

dwz8

Yes | No

Re: Frame Fix

More and more often I now read statements like "there never was an issue" or now here about a "placebo fix".

Let's get some facts straight:
    - A substantial amount of Z8s is running around with bulged strut towers. Bad luck for the club that THOSE FEW CARS THAT WERE PROPERLY EXAMINED were either all within spec or had had a previous accident.
    - The kit is definitely not a placebo kit. The idea of sandwiching the soft strut tower tops between two pieces of steel is a good one that brings obvious reinforcement to this area.
    - If you want to know why you don't hear about Audi A8 or Aston Martin DB 9 strut tower damages, please go and have a look at these cars. I can post photos comparing the Z8 and the DB9, and you will never ask again why the DB9 has no problems in this area.
    - Lastly, if this is all about nothing, why did BMW build a kit in the first place? And why, after everybody said it would never happen to Alpinas, is now Alpina coming up with another kit? Major engineering effort for a max of 555 cars?

On to the most important issue:
    Drive your car slowly, 40 mph. Drive around a curve, slide away on wet leaves, hit a boardwalk or similar.
    Many cars would have a bent strut tower after this.
    The problem with the Z8 is that it requires major aluminum welding (everything in front of the dashboard) or frame replacement to repair such a damage.

Hence, everything you can do to either minimize the risk or to stiffen weak parts will help maintain the value of your car.

Cheers,
    Dieter

Z8Eldred a.k.a. The Mudman
    Member No: Z8Eldred a.k.a. The Mudman's Avatar

Yes | No

Agree. Let's face it. The Z8 is not an inexpensive

car for body/frame repairs. The fix is less expensive than the alternative.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information