+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 111482 awz is an unknown quantity at this point awz's Avatar

Yes | No

Steptronic downshift problem

I've had an odd and disturbing thing happen twice now with my 2004 coupe with Steptronic. While cruising on the interstate at 60 mph or so in moderate traffic, I've floored the accelerator to pass. After an initial downshift, the transmission shifted up again to the original gear while the accelerator was still floored. It's only happened twice in about a year, but this could be quite dangerous if you're aiming for a hole in traffic and the car responds in this unpredictable way.

Has anyone else had this happen? Anyone have a clue as to the cause?

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Steptronic downshift problem

That is a new symptom that I have never heard described before to my knowledge. And your right, could be dangerous. The only self diagnostic I could recommend would be to disconnect battery at both negative and positive terminals let them touch together for some time and let all the computers including the transmission EGS computer zeroize. This should be done for several hours to ensure this reset has happened. Then reconnect and start driving again to have the STEP EGS computer (the adaptive part of the STEP Tranny) start learning all over again and do some aggressive passing techniques.

The bad part in this is all the consequential resetting of everything else in the car including, but not limited to: NAV addresses (I think), date/time, other settings for entertainment, and even possibly CBS calculations (but here I am not sure as well)

Otherwise, and my first choice, would be to take it in to dealer, describe symptom and they will probably update software in hopes the EGS gets new programming and / or do something similar to what I described but able to save and restore your settings.

Dang this is a strange one. Keep us posted
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth w/ snap in adapter, V1 CIP 20.02 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 116114 steven_h is an unknown quantity at this point steven_h's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Steptronic downshift problem

Had a similar problem the last couple of months on an '06 650 with ~11,000 miles. A number of times when I was driving around 30-40 mph and punched the accelerator, very slow response, almost like a turbo lag. Service manager found the same problem, found no open bulletins and submitted a PUMA case. Was informed that they adjusted the valve clearance from .8mm to .3mm (if I got the info correct). I had suspected it was a software/transmission issue like my '04 645 had. Tried it in a number of different scenarios last couple of days and all seems good. Hope this info helps.2004 645CiC - Jet Black, Cream Beige, Sport, Step
    2006 650i Conv. - Stratus Grey, Black, Sport, Step, HUD

Registered Member

Yes | No

Update -- Steptronic downshift problem

Car was in for service Monday. No error codes were found. Latest software upgrade (23.02) was loaded to fix an unrelated issue but, as the upgrade includes the entire car's controls, it may help the transmission's behavior. Time will tell -- I'm optimistic about it. Initial impression is that the car is livelier.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Update -- Steptronic downshift problem

Too bad you did not get PROGMAN (CIP) 24.00.00 just released the first of the month. Fixed a couple of things they mada bad in 23.02.
    Check your eyebrow lights (yellow). Many reports on e60s (no e63s yet that I know of) of these lights not working after upgrade to 23.02. Also hosed up working MOST iPod interfaces on several models.

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

Registered Member

Yes | No

Eyebrow lights

Checked the eyebrow lights -- the outboard ones work but the inboard ones are dark. I assume both should be on when the headlights are on. I'll check with dealer and lobby for 24.00.00 if the suspicion you raised is confirmed. Thanks, Cobradev

Registered Member

Yes | No

Eyebrow lights OK

Checked new 6 on showroom floor. Outboard eyebrow lights only is normal with headlights on. Inboard eyebrow lights only come on as part of turn signal (both inboard and outboard flash). So, no problem created on my 645 with the 23.02 software. I guess it's possible that I actually got v24.00. The work was performed on 12/4.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Eyebrow lights OK

NOT True. I believe that showroom car is screwed up as well (using 23.02). I will take pics tonight, but 2004, 2005 and 2006 6ers all have three lit lights in eyebrow. Ouside light is a "marker" light, is always bright and does not flash. Interior two lights are dimly lit until flasher is turned on. Should look like this. Go find some used 6ers on a lot.

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

Registered Member

Yes | No

Eyebrow lights not OK after all

Interesting, hadn't thought of possibility of showroom car (M6 conv.) being screwed-up. Can't really tell your inboard lights are on in daytime pic. Looking forward to seeing the nighttime one.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Are you sure about this?

Cobradev, the parts drawing you posted shows only two bulbs, both single filament. The inner one is clearly designated as a turn indicator in the parts list while the outer one is designated as a side marker. There is no third bulb and no lower wattage filament on the turn indicator bulb to be on with the side marker. In other words, the set-up on the parts drawing would support what I observed both on the M6 convertible and on my '04.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information