+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 144089 cnp is an unknown quantity at this point cnp's Avatar

Yes | No

645ci Wheel Offset Help

I am going to order a set of M6 replica wheels for my 645ci (either Miro or Moven). Anyway, what offset would be the best for my car? Does the wheel stick out further from the fender with a higher offset? If that's correct, would an offset of 35 front/40 rear provide a slightly more aggressive look or would that just look stupid? I think there are other choices around 15 or 20. Should the front and rear be the same?

THANKS.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 645ci Wheel Offset Help

Regular 645 19" - 8,5 x 19 Front / ET 14 - 9 x 19 Rear - ET 18

M6 wheels - 8,5 x 19 Front / ET 12 - 9,5 x 19 Rear / ET 17

So a standard M6 rear wheel would be about 1/4 inch further out per side 1/2 of the 0.5 inch wider wheel).

So for another ~6.4 mm positive offset (approximately an ET of 19 on top of the wider wheel) you would be closer to the wheel arch by 1/2 inch. Figure about 1/4 inch per 6.4 mm of offset. If you did have a 9.5 inch wheel width with a offset of 40 mm I think you would look, well like a pimp mobile. If yuo could get you hands on some various size wheel spacers you could tril and error your way to the approximate offset you ultimately could use/like. Probably a top notch aftermarket wheel place could run some numbers for you.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth w/ snap in adapter, V1 CIP 20.02 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks for the help so far. So then -- would 15 front, 20 rear look normal? I would be using 19x8.5 and 19x9.5.

Thanks again.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

My "opinion" yes but I sense you want an "aggressive" look so perhaps you could squeeze out a little more. Also depends on the mfrs offerings and if you try to go for max width on tire size. Just remember, if you go too wide you cannot come back, but if you missed the other way you could use small spacers, although generally not recommended due to added stress and chances for more things to go wrong.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Wx Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth w/ snap in adapter, V1 CIP 20.02 w/MP3 enabled - Great, great BMW!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

OK - I will go with the 15 and 20 offsets. No aggressive look necessary -- just want it to look normal. One last question -- Should I get M6 tire sizes or stick with the 645 19" sport package sizes?

Thanks.

Registered Member

Yes | No

You will have a wider wheel I assume on rear so go for the recommended tire size for that wheel which will probably be the M6 size of 285/35x19 but the reg 6er tire of 275/35 fits nicely as well.
    For front I would stay the recommended regular 6er sport size (245/40). The M size tire (255/40) versus wheel is at edge of tire mfr recommended wheel size (I used Michelin PS2 as a guide here). May be different for a different tire mfr. Tire rack (tirerack.com)is always a good source of info for all things wheel and tire.

In general M size tires are a total of 0.5 inches wider (both tread width and cross section) so stick out another 0.25 inches to outside and inside (wheel well). Your chances for rubbing do increase if you do plus up. Also M sizes are about 0.3 inches larger in diameter. No issue here other than inceased chance at rubbing.

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yet one more question:

You mention using a spacer may be bad? So, you would not recommend using a 25mm spacer on the front? That's what the store is saying I could do to achieve a stock look. What type of risk would I assume in using the spacer?

I appreciate the time you have taken to help with my questions.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yet one more question:

You mention using a spacer may be bad? So, you would not recommend using a 25mm spacer on the front? That's what the store is saying I could do to achieve a stock look. What type of risk would I assume in using the spacer?

I appreciate the time you have taken to help with my questions.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Wow, that is really out there, 25mm!!!. Puts lots of stress on hub and hub bolts. Thats over 1 inch. Where are they coming up with this. Aren't you getting very near the exact same offset? You should if your wheel width in front is the same as the OEM Sport wheel. That is always the best way to go. I could see 5 , maybe 10 mm but 25mm. Way too dangerous. You'll have to have 1 incg longerbolts, could have balancing issues and place far more stress on hub. NOw if this car is not going to be trvelling on highways or twisty roads I suppose you could get by. I am really concerned that someone is advising 25mm spacers. It is not making sense.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

Registered Member

Yes | No

An m6 owner replaced his OENM wheels and is selling them - no proce info. do you want to hook up with him? He is on both b i m m e r f e s t and e 6 0 .net
    _______

Registered Member

Yes | No

Well I wanted to get the Miro M6 wheels with Gunmetal finish. On the fronts (19x8.5), they only came in a 38 offset so the guy was telling me to use 25 spacers to make it close to the stock offset. The rears were fine at 20.
    Anyway, I was able to find another brand (Moven) that has 15 offsets on the 19x8.5 wheel. I plan to get those instead.

Thanks again for all your help cobradav.

Registered Member
    Member No: 132620 645Rascal is an unknown quantity at this point 645Rascal's Avatar

Yes | No

cnp - thanks for the discussion. Would sure like to see some pictures when they are installed. And thanks from me also to cobradav for the info.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information