+ Reply to Thread
    BigDeal

Yes | No

97 740il Coolant Change/Flush

Last week I went to have the Transmission Fluid changed on my 40k car and was told that it is a sealed system from the factory and is good for the life of the transmission .... riiight! Must be, becaue I cannot find any filler tube, etc. Then I asked about flushing the coolant and was given a similar story. My question is, if I decide to flush the coolant on my own, can I use the long life antifreeze (Prestone, etc.) or do I have to use the stealer recomended $40 gallon stuff? Also, why is it available, if it is good for the life of the car?

Howard

Yes | No

I would change the coolant every three years

My car is getting both water pumps replaced at 72K miles. I would definately not go more than three years on this important preventative maintenance task. I would think that a good quality antifreeze that is safe for aluminum should be fine. The transmission is a sealed unit, and no fluid changes are necessary for the life of the transmission. $40 dollar per gallon dealer antifreeze is available for service that requires replacing lost fluid, such as leaking hoses, water pumps, radiators, coolant reservoirs, engine rebuilds and replacements, etc. and is a profit item for the dealer.

Jeff

Yes | No

Check the owners manual it should have a

recommended interval for changing the anti-freeze.
    It isn't lifetime like the tranny. I would
    suggest every 2 years if you plan to keep the
    car for a long time.

Brent

Yes | No

Re: 97 740il Coolant Change/Flush

Last week I went to have the Transmission Fluid changed on my 40k car and was told that it is a sealed system from the factory and is good for the life of the transmission .... riiight! Must be, becaue I cannot find any filler tube, etc. Then I asked about flushing the coolant and was given a similar story. My question is, if I decide to flush the coolant on my own, can I use the long life antifreeze (Prestone, etc.) or do I have to use the stealer recomended $40 gallon stuff? Also, why is it available, if it is good for the life of the car?

I just had an inspection 2 performed on my wifes '98 750. The check sheet they used was for '97 7 series. It says a coolant flush is due at every Inspection 2, which I think is at about 36k miles. An interesting note is that the sheet also says a tranmission service, including fluid and filter, is due at the second inspection 2 along with a rear differential fluid change. I will look to se if this is 750 specific, but as near as I recall it was for all 7 series.

Force98

Yes | No

Free Under Maintenance Agreement For Newer Cars

During the last visit to my BMW dealership, the technician told me the recommended coolant flush was every three years. Under the three year maintenance agreement, I will have this done free of charge, as the three years is based on the build date, not the date the car was purchased. If you have a newer car, you may want to check the build date on the door tag, and make sure you get the car in after that but before the in-service date if you want the service for free.

alanK

Yes | No

Coolant good for life of radiator: ~ 2 years!

Simeon

Yes | No

Re: 97 740il Coolant Change/Flush

Big,
    I contacted ZF directly and asked about the transmission service. They replied that NO fluid change was necessary. The fluid is a "lifetime" component of the transmission.

I don't know about the anti freeze question as BMW just installed a new radiator (old one had developed a leak) in the car under the CPO warranty. I guess I am good for a couple of years or so.

Simeon

BigDeal

Yes | No

Which antifreeze is compatable with aluminum?

Thanks for ALL the advice! I will try to find antifreeze that is compatible with aluminum. Anybody have any suggestions?

My car is getting both water pumps replaced at 72K miles. I would definately not go more than three years on this important preventative maintenance task. I would think that a good quality antifreeze that is safe for aluminum should be fine. The transmission is a sealed unit, and no fluid changes are necessary for the life of the transmission. $40 dollar per gallon dealer antifreeze is available for service that requires replacing lost fluid, such as leaking hoses, water pumps, radiators, coolant reservoirs, engine rebuilds and replacements, etc. and is a profit item for the dealer.

thegrandrabbit

Yes | No

Re: Which antifreeze is compatable with aluminum?

I just bought two gallons at $14 per gallon. Steep price but playing it safe until I find out an approved equivalent. Per BMW key is nitrite and phosphate free. Prestone service rep say s that their longlife antifreeze is nitrite and phosphate free and compatible for BMW. For an extra 20 bucks , I choose to go with the BMW which per label is an exclusive formulation.

thegrandrabbit
    \
    Thanks for ALL the advice! I will try to find antifreeze that is compatible with aluminum. Anybody have any suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information