+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 104639 Lawforza is an unknown quantity at this point Lawforza's Avatar

Yes | No

Convertible Top Oil Leak near Rear Left Tire

The top on my vehicle was not working properly. It would either operate slowly or would not latch. I discovered the hydraulic fluid was low. It did not leak from the windshield latch area like it did the last time, which required replacing the hose.

This time it is leaking in front of the right rear tire. I should add it did make a "whining" noise as well recently. The rear windows will not close. Any thoughts or directions? Please help.

richyp

Yes | No

Re: Convertible Top Oil Leak near Rear Left Tire

Oh dear,
    Sounds like the hose to the roof lifting ram. Time to pull the back seat and have a look me thinks!! Sorry.
    The rear windows are electrically driven,and controlled by micro-switches in the Top Latch, refill your pump res and attempt to get the hood latched. If still no joy, use the manual closing proceedure, then press the roof close button, this should bring the windows up.
    Hope this helps,
    Rich

SandBagger

Yes | No

Senor Lawforza,

Sounds like one of the top hydraulic cylinders. I had two go bad in quick succesion. Pretty easy fixreally, most of the work is getting the trim out of the way. Buy a used one for $50. Make sure you get the right one though, there are 2 different (hydraulic) connection styles. Buy the new top fliud too.

Registered Member
    Member No: 104639 Lawforza is an unknown quantity at this point Lawforza's Avatar

Yes | No

Gentlemen:

Thank you for your response. A quick follow-up. Must I use the Jaguar hydraulic fluid? Can you recommend a fluid I can find at my nearest hardware/Parts store.

As for the hydraulic cylinders, do you know where they are located exactly. I suspect it is behind the rear seat and left rear side panel area. True? Please advise.

Thank you!

richyp

Yes | No

I used Napa power steering fluid, (I did a google search on the specs, they are exactly the same, it's also the same colour and has the same sickly smell!) it works perfectly! I bought a little manual pump at the same, it saved pouring fluid all over the boot (sorry trunk).
    Your deductions are correct, back seat out, cover panels out, kickplates off, speaker housing out. I haven't done the job myself, but I had a good look at my hoses and rams when I did my Top Latch hoses. I don't think it's that bad of a job. Do a Forum search, I'm sure someone has posted the full "ins and outs"
    Rich

richyp

Yes | No

Please, if you do this your self take photos!!

A picture is worth a thousand words!
    TexasDan did a fantastic job with the MAF/ TB post.
    Please post photos as the job develops!!
    Rich

Registered Member
    Member No: 96212 tgracen is an unknown quantity at this point tgracen's Avatar

Yes | No

Suggestion: When you have the rear seat out, check carefully on the inner body for small lakes or pools of leaked fluid and clean it up as best you can. Excess fliud will gum-up the electrics, connectors under the seat,etc. Over time the sweet smell of the hydralic fliud will linger forever when the top is up. Especially if it soaks into the leather skirts of the seats or its woven inner lining. Mineral spirits do a good job. Search thoroughly--even a thin film of the hydralic fliud will eventually creep around back in there and leave an indelible smell if it is not removed.

Jeff Cline

Yes | No

Here's a link to pictures I took when I replaced my rear speakers in my 97. It is graciously hosted on Owen Manderfield's site.
    Pictures

In the pictures you can see the ram location as well as the 2 hydraulic lines.

Registered Member
    Member No: 160350 mjohn2001 is an unknown quantity at this point mjohn2001's Avatar

Yes | No
    I've got some pretty good experience in this area feel free to give me a call with any questions. Mostly years 1997-2006.

FYI, the part number you'll need to replace the hose is Jaguar part HJB8256AB. If your doing the repair yourself, I can be a big help. Call me with your questions.

Marvin
    404-759-6600
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 67.111.45.100

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information