+ Reply to Thread
    Gator

Yes | No

Radiator hose pops off??

The radiator hose end that connects into the thermostat housing has popped off twice in the past 3 months. Anyone know why this is occuring? Hose was replaced about a month before this started. Came with new spring clamps which I first used. After the first time the hose popped off I installed a screw type hose clamp. Just today the hose popped off for a second time. Normal driving and outside temp is about 55 degrees F.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 139221 tllama is an unknown quantity at this point tllama's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Radiator hose pops off??

Oh yes this is a dandy thing to happen and has left me on the side of the road once.
    Felt something let go as I floored it in traffic, sauna time in seconds.
    I replaced the hose and clamps, check it often and never trust the ba@#stard again.
    Got a shrug from my mechanic who back flushed the system and checked it out
    Tempted to replace entire tsat housing with a stainless
    version the SDMac is going to make ?
    (If I can con him in to it.)
    mean while I have a 5/16 nut driver in the boot......

steven parnes

Yes | No

That happened to me about 4 weeks ago. The dealer said the thermostat was sticking and replaced it under "select edition". They didn't replace or clean the hood insulating blanket so I had coolant smell until I sprayed "Purple Stuff" and hosed it off.

Randy

Yes | No

Check/change the water pump & thermostat.

Gator

Yes | No

I noticed that the pressure relief cap on the reservoir tank seemd to have a stuck pressure relief plate on the inside of the cap. I tried to push the spring loaded pressure plate but it appeared to be stuck. I pushed a little harder and it finally gave way. It now seems to push in and spring back normally.

Does anyone know if this could be the cause for the hose popping off?

Thanks

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 142182 ch193 is an unknown quantity at this point ch193's Avatar

Yes | No

Very doubtful that the relief is involved--that cap is downstream of where your problem is, too high pressure at hose outlet. An earlier post may be the best idea-- replace thermostat. Not likely to need a water pump replacement, for the water pump seems to be doing its job pushing water from low pressure to high pressure. Your problem seems to be excessive pressure, not a pump problem. Thermostat first. Keep us posted.

DesertCat

Yes | No

It's what the English call a "Tosser"

Your car needs a little companionship, perhaps a little BMW tart?

D'Cat

Gary61

Yes | No

Better that way!

Isnt that a wonderful "pressure valve" and overheat "alarm", compared to what could happen if the pressure couldnt escape and would burst out somewhere else inside the engine?

Too often, when this happens, people blame the hose clip but it is not the cause. The spring loaded clips are cost effective in production, but also better than the conventional ones in this sense.

Gary

Registered Member
    Member No: 139221 tllama is an unknown quantity at this point tllama's Avatar

Yes | No

For what it is worth, I replaced pump, tstat, cap and hoses as a precaution before the sauna incident.....so what next?

BobF

Yes | No

Re: Better that way!

The pressure cap is designed to raise the boiling temperature of the coolant. Do a google search on "radiator pressure cap" and you'll get a few articles on the subject.
    see: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system7.htm
    as an example.
    The pressure cap should release pressure and the expanded fluid volume into the overflow/catch tank before a hose pops off or other damage is done to the system.
    Some causes of over temperatue are: air trapped in system, head gasket allowing exhaust gases into cooling system, water pump failure, thermostat and a partially blocked radiator.
    Get your pressure cap tested to the specified (?) PSI value, you can also have your cooling system pressurized and check for leaks at the same time. Your local auto parts store should have test strips to check exhaut gas in the coolant. I check the thermostat with an infrared thermometer, I can see the temperature cycle as it open and closes with the mean temperature within a couple of degrees around the spec. The same infrared unit will reveal any hot/cool spots in the radiator. The water pump may have to be removed to check for damage.
    Good luck
    BobF

Lou

Yes | No

Maybe its as simple as this. Had the problem on my TR250 when I installed a new hose. I used my plumber's copper fitting cleaner (it is basicly a round wire brush)to rough up the inner surface of the hose. Worked great and now I do it to all rad hose installs.

Registered Member
    Member No: 145842 SandBagger is an unknown quantity at this point SandBagger's Avatar

Yes | No

TR250???

Lou you rock! These boys think it's hard to keep an $80k car in order!

Cheers!
    Ed

bloodworm

Yes | No

great tip Lou. I would have never thought of this, but it makes even more sense to me now than ever. seems the hose just "slips" right off, as there really is nothing to hold it there once the plasic gets shiney too.

welcome to the "hose just pops off" club Gator. happened to me TWICE so far. luckly the low coolant light is there, or I wouldn't notice till overheat.

Lou

Yes | No

Well thanks for the compliment. The TR250?? is a 1968 Triumph sports car made in England between the TR4 and TR6 models. It has the TR4 body with the TR6 engine. It satisfies the urge to run top down.

SandBagger

Yes | No

I know what a 250 is, US TR5 without the injection. I've had in the past a 3A, 4, 4A, and now only have the 8

Cheers!
    Ed

mikecih

Yes | No

Merry/Blessed Christmas to all. My 2001 upper radiator hose continues to pop off at the thermostat housing. The tow driver said their was a retro fit housing that would cure the problem? Please advise. Looks like others have had the same problem but not since 2006.

michael

test_point

Yes | No

Do you have a XK8 or XKR?

What hose are you asking about?

There have been reports of hoses blowing off but they are pretty rare.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information