+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 124197 Kaptain is an unknown quantity at this point Kaptain's Avatar

Yes | No

M6 GTR 'chop

ptgsport

Yes | No

Re: M6 GTR 'chop

I would have to say that the 5 and 6 series are much to heavy and oversized to ever be a street-car based race car. Possible for GT1 style but at the moment that category is going slowly but surely away both in the states and in Europe. Nice looking concept but the sheer size would strain brakes, tires and track safety if built to GT2 type rules.

Registered Member

Yes | No

LMGT1 needs to be cut or let just mid-engined supercars race (Saleen S7R, Maserati MC12, Lamborghini Murciélago R-GT, Pagani Zonda, etc).

FIA GT frontrunners given Le Mans 24 Hour invitations

http://www.qv500.com/paganizondap4.php

Hallen

Yes | No

Historically, different series always keep escalating the capabilities of a race car to the point where it is just too expensive to be competitive. I wouldn't doubt that it costs as much to run a GT1 car as it is to run a P1 car.

Manufacturer "Works" cars seem to push this even faster. I think the rules need to be modified to bring these cars back into the realm of reality. If that means slowing them down some, then so be it. If that means they have to slow down GT2 as well, then OK.

If you get rid of GT1, then GT2, or just the GT class at that point, will eventually (and it won't take that long) be right where we are now with GT1. Too expensive and too few cars. The reason that GT2 has bigger fields is that it is less expensive and it stays less expensive because GT1 is there.

So, my opinion is you have to keep GT1. You just have to find ways to make it less expensive so more teams can participate.

Registered Member

Yes | No

The GT1 cars use a lot more carbon fiber and expensive parts and materials than GT2 cars.

ptgsport

Yes | No

I agree that the expense of GT1 is prohibitive but there is also little reason to race most qualifying supercars in this class because of the expense. GT1 is a true race car class, advanced beyond the unibody based GT2. The expense means that in order to justify racing with a factory effort, you need either to have the potential to sell a lot of cars, profitably, or build your brand image in a huge way.

Ferrari sells cars through Michelotto, which helps keep Michelotto in business but the real brand marketing (or is that National Marketing for Italy) is of course F1.

Corvette is a small part of GM's racing budget and can lean on Corvette sales due in part I hope to a rejuventated image directly tied to their 10 year program of road racing.

Beyond that it's hard to think of many models available in the world that can be competitive, have the potential sales at a significant profit to benefit the model and have the wherewithall to accomplish success.

For LeMans there have historically been enough wealthy gentleman driver/owners to fund expensive GT cars, sometimes with help from the MFG. Corvette's kind of hurt that by doing a fine job and having the staying power that only deep pockets can generate. (See Audi and P1)

So. basically we're looking for a car company that can afford to spend $20-50 million, have a platform that can be competitive and have either a brand (Audi, Corvette/Chevy) that they believe can be increased in value by racing; or a model...(????) that can realize significant profit by racing exposure and be sold in sufficient quantities to make sense. (Bye.Bye Ford's Aston, VW/Audi's Lamborghini, Chrysler Viper and hello, well, I haven't figured that one out yet). Ouch, I depress myself sometimes.

Schnitzer spent about $8m in 2001, PTG Under $4m, I'd guess GM spends between $10-15m but doesn't have to account for the research (engine development, wind tunnel, cfd, etc) costs.

Bring back the days when Bscher would foot the bill for running a F1GTR or LMP like we would buy a cup of coffee, instead of trying to sell the impossible Bugatti!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information