+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Randomg

Yes | No

SLS removal question

I'm trying to put in bilstein hds in the rear, not sure how to remove the line from the accumulator that connects to the rear shock. I thought since there are two different hex heads to grab onto, that I could unscrew the one against the shock while holding the other one still. This didn't work with a fair amount of force, and I would like some verification on what I'm supposed to do before I put all my weight into it. Also, if there's anything else I should know, it'd be great if someone could tell me. All I have is the regular bentley manual.

Registered Member
    Member No: 92860 photopark is an unknown quantity at this point photopark's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: SLS removal question

If the line to the shock doesn't loosen easily then try the line on the accumulator. It didn't take a whole lot of force to remove either on mine. Snap the line if you have to.

Randomg

Yes | No

Yeah, I managed to get the accumulator bolt loose, the other side ended up not being tight at all. Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 100183 rhs63 is an unknown quantity at this point rhs63's Avatar

Yes | No

Greetings. The previous owner of my ///M5 removed the SLS and replaced it with a Bilstien/Eibach setup. The car was also lowered. Make sure the upper spring perch/cup/whatever-you-call-it is not the stock one, but, one that fits the spring you are using. The previous owner used the large, stock one, and this resulted in 3 broken shocks over the last 2.5 years. My mechanic had to find two upper spring perches from a 635 that fit it. This is our theory. I'll have to wait a long while to see if one of the shocks breaks again.

Registered Member
    Member No: 35097 bbojangles is an unknown quantity at this point bbojangles's Avatar

Yes | No

18 years old and my stock SLS has not broken any

I still say that the SLS is the TOP system,,, not a throw away.

Registered Member
    Member No: 123746 Randomg is an unknown quantity at this point Randomg's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 18 years old and my stock SLS has not broken a

I don't know how SLS felt new, but having both broken front shocks and bad accumulators and then switching to the euro setup has made an incredible difference. I've basically been driving a caddy with an m engine for the past 3 years...

Registered Member
    Member No: 35097 bbojangles is an unknown quantity at this point bbojangles's Avatar

Yes | No

that is the biggest unknown to all of us now..

how was the SLS when it was new....?? I have new accumulators, hoses, and almost new.. shocks.. (bought from a smashed car that just had them replaced. I did all that work just before the car went to bed for winter.. I also installed factory front shocks..

now i need to wait for spring.... but Id like to drive another car that has good but not racing suspension...

shocks brakes and tires are always soooooooooooo good when they are replaced. compared to the worn out ones, it is always way better.. it is a salesperson's dream. human memories are short.. who really knows how these cars were when new?

Bill Darlington

Yes | No

Re: that is the biggest unknown to all of us now..

I have owned a e28 m5 since new and I must tell you the SLS suspension is horrible compared to the Fahey modified springs and shocks. I wish I would have dumped that crap years ago. That's the way I see it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information