+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 10568 scottiesharpe is an unknown quantity at this point scottiesharpe's Avatar

Yes | No

M88/S38 MAF kit updated

I posted a note on the e28 board about how this weekend my friend Dan and I simplified the MAF kit on my M88 motor. You may recall that before I was using a custom piggyback controller and MAF. That worked well but I wanted to simplify things.

OLD MAF Conversion link (Version 1)

Dan created a custom billet aluminum housing for the MAF sensor to maximize the sensitivity of the air mass. You may recall that my last MAF conversion required cutting the air box. This one fits right into the stock holes of the old AFM!!!

It's wired right into the BMW harness. Just remove your AFM and pop this puppy in place.

All the software to run the MAF is included on the ECU chip.

No piggy back controller. No tuning. Just pop it in and drive.

Of course you can still run the laptop programming piggyback if you want (I do because it is really flexible and fun).

Frankly, I was real surprised that nobody wanted one of my MAF kits. It has been the coolest thing I have done to any one of my cars. Being able to program the car in real time while driving is just too fun.

However I realized that the price was kind of steep. Now I can bring it down to half that, so I'm pretty pleased.

Current MAF kit (VERSION 2)

Pics:

Scottie Sharpe
    Provider of Mass Air Flow Conversion Kits for BMWs
    www.scottiesharpe.com/store

88 Dinan-badged M5, M88 motor with BMWTurboPerformance.com mass air flow conversion, Laptop Dynamic Tuning, 02 Sensor feedback, Dinan Stage 4 suspention, Dinan 17x9.5 3pc wheels, 255/40 Conti Sport X 4, e34 rear brakes, B&B Stainless steel Exhaust, F&R LaDue stainless steel strut bars.
    91 318iC
    68 2002 Ireland coil overs, e12 brakes, Mikuni 40s, Stahl, Hoosiers
    67 1600 Stock - "Cutie"
    Do you BMWwikiwiki.com ??

Michael in MD

Yes | No

Re: M88/S38 MAF kit updated

Hi Scottie,

Any dyno results showing improvements?

Would you need specific engine info to burn the custom chips... how does that work?

Is the computer program included in the listed fee, along with all ports or access point to make the adjustments?

I would like to do something like this but I "really" need it to be a plug and play type deal to start with... with good gains in HP of course ;-)

I've have considered the split second set-up but I am not a tinkerer and am not happy knowing I'd have to dial it in just to get it running, much less perfected. So your setup sounds like the best of both worlds.

Michael

Registered Member
    Member No: 10568 scottiesharpe is an unknown quantity at this point scottiesharpe's Avatar

Yes | No

This is about as plug and play as it gets. Yes, the software is included.

Just remove your airbox and AFM, unbolt your AFM. Bolt in the MAF. Wire up 5 wires into the stock harness by color code. Remove your ECU, Remove your ECU Chip. Install the new chip. That's it.

No I have no before/after dyno charts to display. The goal of this project was not really to produce more power, although I'm sure there are some minor power gains .. 5-10 hp perhaps. Replacing one measurement device with another type of measurement device is not going to give you a nitrous boost of horses! The goal of this kit is to get rid of the AFM and replace it with a good looking, reliable, modern measurment device that improved drivability.

If you need to replace your AFM because it's old and worn out, or because you want better drivability, you will like this kit a lot.

[ NOW - If you want to tinker with tuning of your car (and some people -- like me -- do very much like to tinker), then I would install my PREVIOUS MAF kit! ]
    my previous MAF TUNERS KIT!Scottie Sharpe

88 Dinan-badged M5, M88 motor with BMWTurboPerformance.com mass air flow conversion, Laptop Dynamic Tuning, 02 Sensor feedback, Dinan Stage 4 suspention, Dinan 17x9.5 3pc wheels, 255/40 Conti Sport X 4, e34 rear brakes, B&B Stainless steel Exhaust, F&R LaDue stainless steel strut bars.
    91 318iC
    67 1600 Stock - "Cutie"

Michael in MD

Yes | No

Hi Scottie,

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm... I think I'd want HP gains out of the swap even if it means spending a bit more money. I thought I read here that the Split Second unit gave a legit 14 - 20(?) HP gain. Is that bogus (kinda like the exagerated chip numbers)?

My problem is this... I am ignorant ;-) Meaning I don't know what all the tech talk means when it comes to volt readings, A/F mixture settings, fuel maps, custom chips etc...

As a matter of fact I'd like someone to explain the relationship of the ECU chip, and what it actually does, to these add on units. You say you will burn a chip and send with this unit... but what info will you need from me for that??

I like tinkering with my car (valve adjustments, brakes, seat swap) but I don't want to be responsible for leaning out the engine or burning stuff up ;-) That is what I mean by plug in and go... fine tuning is one thing but adjusting for it to even run is another. I still don't own a voltmemter and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did (unless someone walks me through a situation)

I would like to get a custom chip to corret A/F ratio and account for the higher commpression pistons in my otherwise stock rebuild. I'd also like to do one of these MAF swaps... with HP gains as one of the goals (nothing wrong with my current unit and idle/drivability seems fine) I just don't feel confident in the amount of information / knowledge "I" would have to provide the project to get the thing working properly. I can "follow" instructions... but I can't create the instructions ;-)

I hope that makes sense (I was in a hurry)

Michael

Registered Member

Yes | No

Split second is probably a little high on the real gains. I'd say 5-10 hp would be expected with their kit...or ours.

ABOUT CHIPS

What is an ECU chip? The chip contains the fuel map. It tells the fuel injectors how much fuel to give to the motor at a particular point in the RPM / Load curve. Comparing different "chips"; the difference is how the chips are tuned. Every tuner is taking a "best guess" at what will work best on "most" cars with a certian engine configuration/condition.

BEYOND CHIPS - Tuner's Kit

Regardless of what chip you use, if you modify your motor to something other than stock, you'll have to retune it anyway. You can use a pre-made chip and try to see which best compensates for your engine configuration and condition. Or you can install our Tuner's Kit and create your own program (with the help of your technician perhaps).

To clarify - you can't just increase the compression or displacement and hope for the best. To get the best performance, you have to tune.

More advanced than the SS controller, which requires you to shut down the motor and upload changes into the device (I seem to recall - someone correct me if I'm wrong), the Miller Tuner's Kit connects to a laptop computer and, using Windows Software, permits fuel map changes (timing too, with Stage 2) live, as-you-drive-the-car (or while you're on the dyno).

The Tuner's Kit is kind of like an "Overlay" to the chip programming, a way to tune or fine tune for any particular application or condition.

I said this before and I will say it again. This is a revolutionary way to tune a Motronic car. I have put one on several of my cars and others and I am surprised that more people aren't clammoring to put one on their Motronic cars. They RADICALLY improve your tuning control on your Motronic car. No more AFM springs loosening/tightening! The Tuner's Kit makes it easy to tune your car. You will be AMAZED.

http://scottiesharpe.com/store/prodd...TKM106&from=11Scottie Sharpe

91 318iC
    67 1600 Stock - "Cutie"

Michael in MD

Yes | No

Scottie... more clarification please

Hi Scottie,

I'm still confused about what JUST the new MAF v.2 contains

-----------------
    You wrote: It's wired right into the BMW harness. Just remove your AFM and pop this puppy in place.

All the software to run the MAF is included on the ECU chip.

No piggy back controller. No tuning. Just pop it in and drive.

Of course you can still run the laptop programming piggyback if you want (I do because it is really flexible and fun).
    ----------------

Michael continues - you say above that I can still "run the laptop programming" ... Is this for fine tuning the fuel map? What does the laptop programming adjust and how would a attach it to the car?

I also asked if this software and connectors were included in the price of the entire v.2 system and you responded yes, it is included.

So now I am confused about this new piece of equipment you mention, the Tuners Kit, for making adjustments.

Just what can I do with the new MAF v.2 system beyond plug in and go (assuming I want to take the car to a dyno, find a mechanic who knows what to do and how to do it) Can the ECU chip be fine tuned with what comes with the MAF conversion kit or do I need more "kits" added on for that?

I told you I was ignorant [grin]

I do appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me.

Michael

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Scottie... more clarification please

The MAF V2 is not tunable. You just bolt it on and you are good to go. It works with a stock M88 or S38 to eliminate the Barn Door sensor and conver to an Mass Air Flow Sensor. It is easy to install and comes with everything you'll need.

However IF you want to tune your car for any reason, you can ADD the Tuner's Kit. The TK allows custom fuel map changes. You can also change the timing map if you get a Stage 2. With the TK, you can tune your car for any application, compression, condition, fuel quality, forced induction, whatever......

You can add the TK later. You can even run a TK with an old fashioned AFM, too, if you wish, although I don't recommend it due to the poor signal quality of the AFM carbon track sweeper.

Scottie Sharpe

91 318iC
    67 1600 Stock - "Cutie"

Michael in MD

Yes | No

Thanks Scottie

That's where the confusion was... I though you said V.2 was adjustable

Okay, one more question... since you have to burn a chip for this system anyway, can you "custom" burn it for my particular situation? Or, do you have to put the same chip in each of your systems?

Thanks again,

Michael

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Thanks Scottie

The MAF V2 uses the same chip in each system.... just like Dinan, JimC, all the chip tuners have a "generic program" that they deliver to the masses....

However, yes, I can tune your car on a dyno if you wish and write software that makes your engine run at its optimum.

Scottie Sharpe

91 318iC
    67 1600 Stock - "Cutie"

Michael in MD

Yes | No

Now we're talkin

Scottie,

Where are you located?

I already have dyno sheets I can provide to you. Is that acceptable?

Please feel free to contact me off list -- [email protected]

Thanks for all the help,

Michael

damion

Yes | No

scottie, please read

hey scottie nice work, I will be interested in this in the future but have an issue right now...do you have a vdo oil pressure gauge? if so, did the sender screw in without removing the foundation for the altenator bracket? any angle adapters? during install the sender is getting bumped out of alinment to thread up properly...its so close I wonder if its just me struggling in the tight space.
    ????
    Damion

Registered Member

Yes | No

How close is it? Can you just grind a little?

Scottie Sharpe

91 318iC
    67 1600 Stock - "Cutie"

Registered Member

Yes | No

Email sent

Scottie Sharpe

91 318iC
    67 1600 Stock - "Cutie"

damion

Yes | No

pretty close... the thought passed my mind, but

I just know somebody out there has done this before and want to get the skinny on it. btw, I went to your site and was warmed by the grass roots effort. very cool. I have a dinan chip in the car now and wonder about power loss though. how does one assess the health of thier ajustment on the stock flap door?
    I will update my experience with the vdo sender. if you happen to talk with other e28m5 or e24m6 people who have done the job I would like to hear thier experience/input
    Damion

Registered Member

Yes | No

I had the Dinan Gen 2 (1994) Chip

I also had a Dinan Gen 1 Chip (1992). So I know what was on them. My programming improves on that.

You adjust the AFM by adjusting the spring tension on the flap door. The tighter the spring is, the leaner the car runs. However it is just a W.A.G. general type of setting. And of course, you need a wide band air fuel guage to tune.

Scottie Sharpe

91 318iC
    67 1600 Stock - "Cutie"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information