+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

sayemthree

Yes | No

wow! X3 hits 0.88g on the skid pad!!

thats as good or better than my m3! this was in a Cand Road test on a 2006 with 18 inch sport package. I wonder if the 2007 sport with 19's will do the same....or better?

Registered Member
    Member No: 124244 AlanL is an unknown quantity at this point AlanL's Avatar

Yes | No
    That's a pretty amazing number for almost any vehicle - think less of one that features ground clearance.

Registered Member

Yes | No

That's a pretty respectable number for most cars

For higher than I ever would have guessed at although I never cease to be amazed at how ours handles.

sayemthree

Yes | No

amazing huh? I am not a big fan of SUV's but that

is impressive.

sayemthree

Yes | No

AlanL, did you sued to have an S4 Avant?

used to hang out at Audiworld?

how do you like the X3 vs. the S4 Avant?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yup - that's me.

I got tired of tracking a 4000lb+ car because of the eternal penalty of the weight in the turns. You can do amazing things to keep a car like the S4 level through turning sequences, but you can never negate the laws of physics when it comes to inertia and traction. I did about 18 events in the S4 Avant and went through a lot of rubber before giving up on heavy cars for performance.

I took the attitude that I really needed 2 cars to replace the S4 - the X3 as a touring car that could carry lots of stuff, have lots of traction in nasty weather and be able to leave the pavement like I couldn't do with the S4 in the first place. The second vehicle is my current track toy - a Honda S2000. At 2700 lbs I got my wish to be able to do amazing feats in the turns without considering my tires to be expendable resources and have had a blast at the track.

I have done several BMW club group drives with our X3 and am still amazed at how well it really does handle for a tall car. In our case, we got a 2.5i with a manual tranny and no sports package. My goal was a smooth riding road trip car that wouldn't leave me cringing when I left the paved roads. The X3 achieved that in spades. What I didn't expect was the fact that the same vehicle with 17" wheels could leave a lot of Audi and BMW sedans scrambling to keep up with me in the turns on twisty roads.

I am very impressed with how BMW got a 50/50 weight distribution out of this critter and how well it responds to incredibly subtle throttle/steering inputs in the turns. I honestly had been drinking the Audi Kool-Aid far too long and really had overlooked just how nicely a well balanced car could make surgery out of a set of twisty roads. The notion that I am doing this in an SUV still leaves my jaw on the floor.

The new engines might make a difference, but I still do not expect the X3 to meet my track habit level of sports car performance and I think it would be unfair to think that it could. At the same time I have to confess that BMW did a pretty good job of making a stab at that goal anyway.

sayemthree

Yes | No

i've heard the early sports pack ride is harsh.

the 2007 is supposed to be improved - we drove one and it felt very sporty but not jarring.

agree the S4 eats track tires. I usually track my M3.

Registered Member
    Member No: 108982 noyes is an unknown quantity at this point noyes's Avatar

Yes | No

Statements like that will get you hung up . . .

. . . by your toes on the audiword board, right? I think the X3 is the most hated and loathed vehicle on the board by far. Knowledgeable folks over there, but I think they generally fail to realize how good the X3 is as an all around solution.

Rick

'04 Jet Black 3.0 6-speed, PP,terracotta, xenons, premium sound, PDC, heated seats, privacy glass, sat prep., Dinan strut tower brace, Y-Spoke, Goodyear Eagle F1 - 235/50/18 F, 255/45/18 R (Dunlop Wintersport M3s for winter).

'02 M5, Bluewater/caramel

Registered Member
    Member No: 13705 DrT is an unknown quantity at this point DrT's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: wow! X3 hits 0.88g on the skid pad!!

I agree. I have the same setup `06 sport with 18" 's and she does 4 wheel drifts on offramps if pushed (or in a rush :)) at 100mph.

I could swear she handles as well as my 850CSi...but it's a truck! That's why I bought one over any other brand!

m5guido

Yes | No

Not really that surprising considering.......

If you consider that the X3 is really the 330xi with a different body then the .88 g's is not all that surprising. I'm sure if you put better tires under the x3 then it would do even better....

guido

sayemthree

Yes | No

but still - it is an SUV, I mean SAV.

its got a higher CG. it really is a "truck" on a car frame.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Hehe - stop dissonating and go buy one :)

We all know the stats are driving you nuts, but get over it and go enjoy the results....

Registered Member
    Member No: 29509 sayemthree is an unknown quantity at this point sayemthree's Avatar

Yes | No

now, we're waiting for the 335i engine to go

into the x3 - heard the 5 is getting it now. would love to have it in the x3!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information