+ Reply to Thread
    sayemthree

Yes | No

wow! X3 hits 0.88g on the skid pad!!

thats as good or better than my m3! this was in a Cand Road test on a 2006 with 18 inch sport package. I wonder if the 2007 sport with 19's will do the same....or better?

Registered Member
    Member No: 124244 AlanL is an unknown quantity at this point AlanL's Avatar

Yes | No
    That's a pretty amazing number for almost any vehicle - think less of one that features ground clearance.

Registered Member

Yes | No

That's a pretty respectable number for most cars

For higher than I ever would have guessed at although I never cease to be amazed at how ours handles.

sayemthree

Yes | No

amazing huh? I am not a big fan of SUV's but that

is impressive.

Registered Member
    Member No: 13705 DrT is an unknown quantity at this point DrT's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: wow! X3 hits 0.88g on the skid pad!!

I agree. I have the same setup `06 sport with 18" 's and she does 4 wheel drifts on offramps if pushed (or in a rush :)) at 100mph.

I could swear she handles as well as my 850CSi...but it's a truck! That's why I bought one over any other brand!

sayemthree

Yes | No

AlanL, did you sued to have an S4 Avant?

used to hang out at Audiworld?

how do you like the X3 vs. the S4 Avant?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yup - that's me.

I got tired of tracking a 4000lb+ car because of the eternal penalty of the weight in the turns. You can do amazing things to keep a car like the S4 level through turning sequences, but you can never negate the laws of physics when it comes to inertia and traction. I did about 18 events in the S4 Avant and went through a lot of rubber before giving up on heavy cars for performance.

I took the attitude that I really needed 2 cars to replace the S4 - the X3 as a touring car that could carry lots of stuff, have lots of traction in nasty weather and be able to leave the pavement like I couldn't do with the S4 in the first place. The second vehicle is my current track toy - a Honda S2000. At 2700 lbs I got my wish to be able to do amazing feats in the turns without considering my tires to be expendable resources and have had a blast at the track.

I have done several BMW club group drives with our X3 and am still amazed at how well it really does handle for a tall car. In our case, we got a 2.5i with a manual tranny and no sports package. My goal was a smooth riding road trip car that wouldn't leave me cringing when I left the paved roads. The X3 achieved that in spades. What I didn't expect was the fact that the same vehicle with 17" wheels could leave a lot of Audi and BMW sedans scrambling to keep up with me in the turns on twisty roads.

I am very impressed with how BMW got a 50/50 weight distribution out of this critter and how well it responds to incredibly subtle throttle/steering inputs in the turns. I honestly had been drinking the Audi Kool-Aid far too long and really had overlooked just how nicely a well balanced car could make surgery out of a set of twisty roads. The notion that I am doing this in an SUV still leaves my jaw on the floor.

The new engines might make a difference, but I still do not expect the X3 to meet my track habit level of sports car performance and I think it would be unfair to think that it could. At the same time I have to confess that BMW did a pretty good job of making a stab at that goal anyway.

m5guido

Yes | No

Not really that surprising considering.......

If you consider that the X3 is really the 330xi with a different body then the .88 g's is not all that surprising. I'm sure if you put better tires under the x3 then it would do even better....

guido

sayemthree

Yes | No

i've heard the early sports pack ride is harsh.

the 2007 is supposed to be improved - we drove one and it felt very sporty but not jarring.

agree the S4 eats track tires. I usually track my M3.

Registered Member
    Member No: 108982 noyes is an unknown quantity at this point noyes's Avatar

Yes | No

Statements like that will get you hung up . . .

. . . by your toes on the audiword board, right? I think the X3 is the most hated and loathed vehicle on the board by far. Knowledgeable folks over there, but I think they generally fail to realize how good the X3 is as an all around solution.

Rick

'04 Jet Black 3.0 6-speed, PP,terracotta, xenons, premium sound, PDC, heated seats, privacy glass, sat prep., Dinan strut tower brace, Y-Spoke, Goodyear Eagle F1 - 235/50/18 F, 255/45/18 R (Dunlop Wintersport M3s for winter).

'02 M5, Bluewater/caramel

Registered Member

Yes | No

I think that's 2004 and earlier models

I read a lot of similar reviews (maybe the same ones) and since I was looking for a road trip car that could leave the pavement I skipped the sports pack and went for 17" wheels with lots of rubber. My goal was to not be nervous about bending a rim whilst wandering off the paved roads and also not feel like I got my teeth kicked down my throat after 6 or 7 hours of driving on non freeway type road surfaces.

It looks like BMW softened up the suspension a bunch in 2005 and my fears about that were unfounded. What I have is maybe a little soft for someone looking exclusively at performance on the pavement, but quite nice for cruising on gravel/dirt roads with washboard surfaces. I still would not want the 18" wheels because the lower profile tires are not suitable for where I want to drive my X3 in the Cascades around where I live - far too easy to bend a rim when things aren't smooth.

It's nice that we got so many options to choose from to dial in the type of driving you have in mind when you order one of these up.

Registered Member

Yes | No

By the toes and what happens after that

would probably be unmentionable on a public forum :)

I do still drive with the Audi Club in my area and quite a number of folks have asked enough questions about driving a balanced car that I do see some seeds of doubt amongst the cult members.

For the True Believers(TM) however I think they see me with horns and a tail.....

sayemthree

Yes | No

was x-drive reprogrammed for 2007 or later?

the 2004 I autocrossed had horrible understeer under any throttle while near the limit.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Not sure when/if on reprogramming.

I honestly can't say that I have ever noticed any understeer on ours at all but I have also never pushed it as far as you have with autoX sessions either.

Registered Member
    Member No: 108982 noyes is an unknown quantity at this point noyes's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: was x-drive reprogrammed for 2007 or later?

At relatively slower speeds and full lock turns, it seems to push like a pig. On higher speed 50-60mph decending radius turns, feels to drift pretty nuetrally. H&R Springs has a part number for sway bars, so you could probably dial it in, but not sure if they ever finished development on it. Never heard of anyone who has them.

Rick

'04 Jet Black 3.0 6-speed, PP,terracotta, xenons, premium sound, PDC, heated seats, privacy glass, sat prep., Dinan strut tower brace, Y-Spoke, Goodyear Eagle F1 - 235/50/18 F, 255/45/18 R (Dunlop Wintersport M3s for winter).

'02 M5, Bluewater/caramel

sayemthree

Yes | No

but still - it is an SUV, I mean SAV.

its got a higher CG. it really is a "truck" on a car frame.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Hehe - stop dissonating and go buy one :)

We all know the stats are driving you nuts, but get over it and go enjoy the results....

Registered Member
    Member No: 29509 sayemthree is an unknown quantity at this point sayemthree's Avatar

Yes | No

now, we're waiting for the 335i engine to go

into the x3 - heard the 5 is getting it now. would love to have it in the x3!

Registered Member
    Member No: 29509 sayemthree is an unknown quantity at this point sayemthree's Avatar

Yes | No

just read x-drive was improved for 2007

improved programming to work with DSC according to Bimmer mag.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information