+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 112606 winchester21 is an unknown quantity at this point winchester21's Avatar

Yes | No

looking for 6 series

My aging 98 540i is due for replacement. looking seriously at 2004-2006 645 or 650. Are there any issues with any particular model years that i need to be aware of. factory buy backs. i-drive problems or anything else. comments would be greatly appreciated. thanks CV

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: looking for 6 series

I would shy away from '04 645 models if only because early builds did not have bluetooth built in and a few other minor issues. Plus maybe more first year issues. My MY05 has been just fine. 37,000 miles and few issues.

HUD was not available until late November 05 build MY05 645s. It is more than a gimmick and I'll not buy a car without it ever again. One reason I will not get a 335i as a toy since no HUD option. 650 has larger engine, more HP and torque if you must but 645 is still a ripper. In MY06 BMW separated Active Steering form the sport package so it may or may not be on a Sport Package model, while any '04 or '05 645 with Sport package will automatically have Active Steering. Some like some do not. I have it and love it.

Edmunds and Kelly should give you used prices. I do not track proces myself as I have no interest in used. I will probably trade in my 05 for an 08 6er in hopes of a few new features and engine options. Looking to see the STEP tranny get some quicker shifting capability ala 335i STEP and maybe even paddle shifter (pure speculation on my part). Also BMW seems to on a turbo kick so maybe something in that regard.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

Registered Member
    Member No: 114797 scially is an unknown quantity at this point scially's Avatar

Yes | No

CobraDav,

Do you have any feedback on the "drive" comparison between the 650cic and the M6 convertible? I like the "smoothness" of my '04 645cic (and all its problems historically), but am enticed by the power of M6 (but not the stiffness of the "M series"

Thanks in advance

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Several on m 6 b o a r d have switched from standard 6er to M. I don't remember anybody saying that it is "stiffer". It has EDC with three settings and Comfort is easily as "soft" as regular 6er if not softer. It is a beast and really after reading their reports and one test drive I just cannot find a rationale way to put it in my garage. Heck, I have a hard time using all the power my 645 has. At the Tail of the Dragon meet this past October, I was sandwiched between an M5 (e60) and M6 and held my own quite well. I have to admitt I was at 90% while they may have only been at 75-85% but they could not use much more that that on the twisties. We are, after all, pretty heavy beasts. If you must have bragging rights then by all means go for it, but fortunately at my age I am past that now.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

Registered Member
    Member No: 114797 scially is an unknown quantity at this point scially's Avatar

Yes | No

CobraDav, Thank you for the feedback. You've answered my question. All the best, Dave

Registered Member
    Member No: 140295 AndrewDP is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewDP's Avatar

Yes | No

I could not agree more with your sentiments about

the M6.
    A pheonomenal car and perhaps the bestg design on the road, but I could not get the most out of it on the road and the SMG might get a bit much. FWIW, the sales mgr of the local Porsche dealership has two customers trying to get a half-way decent price on their M6's in favor of the 997 TT. If one wants one now, they are probably a very good buy, or soon will be. My 650i Sport conv. is the most satisfying car that I have owned, including my recently acquired Audi RS4. The Head Up display is an essential option IMO. I have never driven a non-Active Steering 6, but find the AS just fine for my driving. So far the 650 has been bulletproof with my only complaint being the slowness of the iDrive processor and now the nav in relation to Audi's MMI nav system, which has a lot more detail and helpful progressive voice instruciton.

Registered Member
    Member No: 112606 winchester21 is an unknown quantity at this point winchester21's Avatar

Yes | No

really appreciate your reply. I plan to buy used CPO and put a ton of miles on this one. I have owned my 540 for 82 months and put 120k on it.best car i ever owned. I am buying used because the 650s appear to take about a 20 grand hit the first year. lots of bang for the buck at the mid 60 price point.if the m coupe had more room i would own 1 tomorrow.i drove one of the last gen m coupes for a day and fell in love with it. But-need a back seat 2 0r 3 times a year.too many M3s around- starting to look dated.cant wait on the new one to come out. may buy a m coupe as weekend toy later on. also like the 335 but dont like the turbo aspect. the recent article about it in the club magazine was very positive. the 6 just works better for what I need. everybody I have talked to loves the HUD. split about 50/50 on the active steering. APPRECIATE THE INFO- exactly what I needed to know. CV

Registered Member
    Member No: 63441 icrcjk is an unknown quantity at this point icrcjk's Avatar

Yes | No

Cobradav is that you lurking on the e31

Board? I have found youe posts to be very informative on this board. I see you have an interest in an 850 I have a 05 645CI with SMG and a 94 850 CSI. You would be amazed at how similar the cars are. Let me know how you make out

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Cobradav is that you lurking on the e31

Yep, that's me. And yes, I'm shopping the 8. Not too many in both e31 and e63, you being only the second I have seen (Cort N I think is the other that I KNOW of). Boy you guys on e31 (and e24 as well) are really helpful on these beautiful classics. I was so impressed when I went to SESF last year how the folks helped each other and you can see it on both boards too. I'm also joining the SE gathering of 8s in my 2005 850CSi;) Apparently the 8-Fest cannot handle someone without an real 8 and assigned the 850CSi moniker to my e63. tgray has offered to look over a '97 Ci for me in Baton Rouge so save me travel time. I just can't find my way into the CSI. Too much and I have not done real wrenching in 20 years I'm after the 8 more for the esthetics (best ever done by BMW IMHO)than anything else. But I do lust after the v12. Trying to start all stock and see if it works for me.

Hey I'm sitting here looking at my latest Roundel in today and see a 94 CSI in NY for sale - any connection?
    _______

Registered Member
    Member No: 63441 icrcjk is an unknown quantity at this point icrcjk's Avatar

Yes | No

Yep, thats me. I have been following the e31 board since 2000 and have a pendaflex full of tips and repair procedures. It is mostly a very helpful resource. Don't quite get your comment on wrenching. All of these cars were very well engineered, not particularly tempermental and require maintenance of the same intensity as any car built at that time. The key to owning a complicated machine is to understand as much as the guy who turns the wrench. I also have the ETK and Shop manual on CD if you actually take the plunge

Registered Member

Yes | No

I just meant that I have not done anything serious for many years. Way, way back I used to rebuild engines, trannies (stick only) and rear ends. I then got into auto trannies and would have them beefed up as in B&M hydros in some of my high HP combinations. But I had a long hiatus where I did not even see a car for twelve years and lost my enthusium for wrench turning. Oh I understand "knowing" what's going on as I do that on my e63. Have to train my SAs and even techs at times or I'd be one of the many complainers of high tech cars.
    _______

Registered Member
    Member No: 32350 destro is an unknown quantity at this point destro's Avatar

Yes | No

stay away from early 2005's

stay away from EARLY 2005 645's... meaning any 2005 that has a build date of late 2004..

Anything later than that you should be good to go!! You will really love this car.

Alot are coming off lease now. a local dealer just got 3 645's in off lease.

Registered Member
    Member No: 50165 bruce12861 is an unknown quantity at this point bruce12861's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: stay away from early 2005's

I could not agree more. I have a 2005 645cic convert, 10/04 build and have had multiple different and recurring problems. BMW has agreed to buy it back and I am in the process of seeing what they will do for me and hope to get into a 2007 soon.

Registered Member
    Member No: 103722 boshaugh is an unknown quantity at this point boshaugh's Avatar

Yes | No

i'm looking to sell an early '04 thats been great

i've got an early build '04 that i'm looking to sell for personal reasons. car has been great though. contact me if you're interested.

[email protected]

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information