+ Reply to Thread
    Gman

Yes | No

Infinity Basslink - how best to install in E38?

Has anyone installed an Infinity Basslink subwoofer in the trunk of an E38? I just got one (from Bavauto, with the DSP custom wiring harness), and I'm not sure where to bolt it down, and whether to bolt it down horizontally (i.e., so it fires into the floor of the trunk) or vertically. I'm concerned about the sound, but also don't want to drill into a brake line, wiring harness, fuel line, etc., when fastening the subwoofer mounting brackets to the trunk floor. I've checked the archives, but didn't find any help there.
    Thanks.

JL

Yes | No

Re: Infinity Basslink - how best to install in E38

I asked a similar question couple month ago and did not receive any response. What I ended up doing was to "place" it horizontally toward the left front side of the trunk. No drilling or anything, 4 pieces of commercial grade Velcro (just one side) stick directly to the carpet covered trunk board. This is a temporarily solution until I decide on the final location for the sub. However, to date the sub show no sign of movement whatsoever (numerous potholes and aggressive driving). I have not cut out the ski rack hole, but I can hear the sub (though not the "in your face" type of sound), but still better than before. Just don't expect a true custom job quality. If someone else on the board has a better way to secure these, please post. I am going to email Ken at Bvauto about how to secure it. BTW, they mounted bunch of these and claim all location in trunk to sound about equal. You can find in Cardomain a "James" who has the same sub in the trunk mounted vertically. I emailed him to inquire but did not get a reply. Better luck to you and kindly update me if you find out something.

JL

Gary

Yes | No

Take out the ski bag...makes a big difference....

I asked a similar question couple month ago and did not receive any response. What I ended up doing was to "place" it horizontally toward the left front side of the trunk. No drilling or anything, 4 pieces of commercial grade Velcro (just one side) stick directly to the carpet covered trunk board. This is a temporarily solution until I decide on the final location for the sub. However, to date the sub show no sign of movement whatsoever (numerous potholes and aggressive driving). I have not cut out the ski rack hole, but I can hear the sub (though not the "in your face" type of sound), but still better than before. Just don't expect a true custom job quality. If someone else on the board has a better way to secure these, please post. I am going to email Ken at Bvauto about how to secure it. BTW, they mounted bunch of these and claim all location in trunk to sound about equal. You can find in Cardomain a "James" who has the same sub in the trunk mounted vertically. I emailed him to inquire but did not get a reply. Better luck to you and kindly update me if you find out something.

JL

Gman

Yes | No

Re: Infinity Basslink - how best to install in E38

JL & Gary-
    Thanks for the info. For now, I cut a 1/4" thick piece of plywood 34 1/2" by 24", which fits snugly in the forward portion of the trunk. I plan to bolt the subwoofer to the plywood, oriented vertically, in the forward left hand corner of the trunk. I may try to move it around, if it doesn't sound good in that location. I just figure that's the most out-of-the-way location, and that it will stay put. My biggest concern is that it won't slide/tip under heavy braking.

I'm just not comfortable drilling into the floor of the trunk.

I'll post again when I've got it done, and let you know how it works. I definitely want to be able to remove it on occasion.

JL

steve b

Yes | No

don't need to..

just a note.. subs are generally non-directional so cutting the ski bag would only open up a cloth barrier separating the back seat from the trunk and i doubt it would do much good. I would think that leaving the back armrest down would do the same thing. You would probably want to keep it sealed to help the sub use the trunk space.

JL

Simeon

Yes | No

Question

Would it be possible to mount the Infinity unit UPSIDE DOWN between the two rear deck units and open a hole, covered with a matching colored grille, locating the new grille between the stock speaker units on the rear deck??

Thanks,

Simeon

Big-T

Yes | No

Re: Question

Yes, absolutely, but that's no guarantee of success any more than anywhere else in the trunk. When it comes to sub placement in the trunk, it's impossible to say what will sound the best. There are so many variables that affect the outcome of this that you just have to try. Subs are non-directional (at least below 70-100hz) but the direction of the sub can affect how the room in the trunk is utilized by the sub (trunk acts as an enclosure). Because of the long wave length at subwoofer frequencies, you really don't have any propagation of sound waves, but rather just pressure changes. I would suggest that in most cases there is a benefit to opening up the ski bag hole, simply because you allow the pressure changes to go into the cabin more freely.

Hope that helps.

T.

Would it be possible to mount the Infinity unit UPSIDE DOWN between the two rear deck units and open a hole, covered with a matching colored grille, locating the new grille between the stock speaker units on the rear deck??

Thanks,

Simeon

Gary

Yes | No

What ever..made a big difference with mine......

just a note.. subs are generally non-directional so cutting the ski bag would only open up a cloth barrier separating the back seat from the trunk and i doubt it would do much good. I would think that leaving the back armrest down would do the same thing. You would probably want to keep it sealed to help the sub use the trunk space.

JL

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information