+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lemon?

Registered Member
    Member No: 148649 amikhchi is an unknown quantity at this point amikhchi's Avatar

Yes | No

Lemon?

I have a 04 Mini Cooper-S that i leased from a BMW dealership brand new. Since then i've taken it in and never thought about lemon law till i heard that taking it in twice for the same *life-threatening* problem is classified as a "lemon". I haven't done much research on this topic so i'm just going to ask you guys.

My car's gas tank is 13.2 gallons, one day i found that my car was leaking gas (noticeably). They kept the car for a few days and replaced the tank completely. I can't remember exactly when they replaced the tank but today I was pumping gas and i noticed that i had pumped 15 gallons before it auto-stopped. So i look down and see a small river of gas pouring out of the bottom of my car, so i drive home park it, and look under it and see that gas is again leaking out of my car. Is this considered a lemon? cause they already replaced my tank once.

Registered Member
    Member No: 15349 smcd is an unknown quantity at this point smcd's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Lemon?

Lemon law is different in every state so you need to read your state's law to understand the details.

This does not sound like a lemon. First of all, your car isn't that new so it's probably outside of the normal time limit. Also, taking a car in twice for the same issue is generally not automatically a lemon - it's just a mistake by the dealer. This looks like a bad mistake.

In this case, you shouldn't be driving your car anywhere, including home from the gas station, if it's leaking gas. You should get it towed it to the nearest dealer. Don't you have BMW/Mini-assist for free?

If they replaced the gas tank already, they should probably at least do it again under warranty. Make sure you talk with the service manager about the severity of the problem. Keep all your paperwork and ask for a copy of any paperwork that you don't have from the past. It seems unlikely that the tank is leaking again - it's more likely that a fuel hose is leaking. Either that's what was leaking the first time or they didn't attach it right when they replaced the tank. This is very serious so get it checked out immediately.

My guess is that the issue is fixed by now (since this was a month ago). Please let us know the outcome.

=FF
    1995 BMW M3 (BMWCCA I-Stock)
    2003 BMW X5 4.4i
    2006 BMW 530xi

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information