+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 134480 NewhouseEnt is an unknown quantity at this point NewhouseEnt's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Service Advisor....head honcho in service dept.

Got it, sorry, I figured it out later....2007 335i Sedan
    2004 King Ranch F250

Registered Member
    Member No: 36568 JamesS3 is an unknown quantity at this point JamesS3's Avatar

Yes | No

True- I was perhaps not totally clear and was try-

ing to point out that if one feels and irresistable compulsion to muck up their new car, the Dinan is a good choice.

Registered Member
    Member No: 4787 rustyh is an unknown quantity at this point rustyh's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: The Aftermarket Dilema

"Unless you take this to the track it's a high priced speed machine WITHOUT the same refinement as a factory made higher speed better balanced car --like an M3 . "

Amen. I know I sound like a broken record when this subject comes up but I still have no idea why people want to mod their car with go fast parts when they're don't have immediate plans to track it. And that's aside the fact (and yes, it's a fact in 99.9% of cases) that the car's capabilities far exceed the drivers abilities.

So throwing $$$ into the car to make it go faster when it's already faster than the driver can handle properly will never make sense to me. The fact that as you say, these mods generally decrease the value of the car rather than increase I'll never understand.

Rusty
    '05 330i ZHP in Imola

Registered Member

Yes | No

Have you ever heard of a Dinan upgrade

that was installed by an authorized Dinan dealer causing a finger pointing situation such as you're suggesting? Can you point me to an example?

I just can't see where that would be an issue since BMW and Dinan work together on this program.

Rusty
    '05 330i ZHP in Imola

Registered Member

Yes | No

But Dinan mods won't void your warranty.

Dinan's warranty mirrors the manufacturer's warranty for the balance of the original BMW warranty period or 2 years if the car is out of warranty. AFAIK, they're the only aftermarket company that matches BMW's warranty. Not even AA and their (in some people's opinions) superior supercharger can say that.

Having said that, I really have no use for Dinan products. They may be good, but they're overpriced and I don't really have any more need for speed than is available to me stock.

Rusty
    '05 330i ZHP in Imola

Registered Member
    Member No: 124000 528ita is an unknown quantity at this point 528ita's Avatar

Yes | No

Nobodys running a chip

nobodys taking motors apart either. The only modification I've heard of is the XEDE/ProCEDE that plugs in between the ECU and harness. No bent tabs or used looking fasteners. Wether or not the installation and removal is detectable isn't really my point though. I don't believe any of the special laptop stuff. I don't believe that the XEDE installation is detectable unless its still in the car when they look for it.1988 528e Homemade Turbo

Registered Member
    Member No: 149725 trifona is an unknown quantity at this point trifona's Avatar

Yes | No

I know the person who originally said this....

He was a BMW service advisor who is on a private forum of ex-Audi guys.

The 54 voided warranties was as of mid November.

That said, Audi has been voiding warranties on A4 turbo's and S4 bi-turbos for years and in some cases without a shred of evidence.

Registered Member
    Member No: 86407 Dave04M3 is an unknown quantity at this point Dave04M3's Avatar

Yes | No

Well, Dinan will say its BMW's fault and BMW will

say its Dinan's fault and there you are. There are plenty of horror stories about this.

Dave
    2004 M3 Coupe
    IR/Blk leather
    19"RG4's w 255/35/19 and 285/30/19 Toyo T1R
    Mods: SuperSprint Headers/race cats/xpipe w/o resonator,Borla muffler,Shark Race Injector, AFE intake, Euro Rotors, Eibach Pro Kit, Eibach Sways, 4.10 BMW diffy

Registered Member
    Member No: 90128 Socom is an unknown quantity at this point Socom's Avatar

Yes | No

It's a function of youth who've owned cheap cars.

"Amen. I know I sound like a broken record when this subject comes up but I still have no idea why people want to mod their car with go fast parts when they're don't have immediate plans to track it. And that's aside the fact (and yes, it's a fact in 99.9% of cases) that the car's capabilities far exceed the drivers abilities."

06' 330 , Monaco Blue, Grey , PP , Sport, A/T
    (prev) 03' 330 ZHP, Sapphire Blk, Blk, Xenons

jim c

Yes | No

Dinan and BMW do not work together on any program!

This is a myth - just call Dinan and ask them. There is no collaboration between Dinan and BMW. Why do you think Dinan has to get mule cars from folks and spend alot of time and $$ trying to reverse engineer the DME programming and other things (just like every other tuner)?

Scott

Yes | No

WTH are you talking about?

I don't think anybody was saying that Dinan is some sort of BMW performance development company. And I don't see where anyone said anything about there being any collaboration between the two, in the sense you're reaching for anyway. But if Dinan and BMW are as far apart as you seem to be suggesting, then please explain all the BMW dealerships that are authorized Dinan resellers. Many, if not most, BMW dealers will not even install most aftermarket parts. But they sure as hell don't seem to have a problem selling or installing Dinan's. Does that not give you some sort of clue? Scott

jim c

Yes | No

Re: WTH are you talking about?

Huh? Just because some dealers carry Dinan parts or any other parts (whether it is rustproofing or whatever) implies nothing. It is Dinan that is providing the warranty not BMW.

BTW, dealers are technically separate from BMWNA. They are franchises that are independently owned, and BMWNA does not control their actions.

The comment was about BMW and Dinan "working together" on this (I assumed warranty) program. I don't believe this is true - it is select dealers (not BMWNA) and Dinan that work together.

I'm not trying to be a pain I'm trying to be helpful!

guitarvenue

Yes | No

Re: Nobodys running a chip

I don't believe is not fact. You are playing with "horseshoes and hand grenades....let the punk puke over a fanatics get the butt [Oops!]...

Registered Member
    Member No: 32829 atl540i6 is an unknown quantity at this point atl540i6's Avatar

Yes | No

If BMW cant detect that I dont want their software

I haven't read all of the replies to this, so this may be covered somewhere below, but...

Having been in software development for over 15 years, I would have to say that if BMW's most junior software engineers cannot tell that their software has been modified, then I want nothing to do with their software!

There are numerous ways to detect that the software has been changed. One of the easiest ways is to run an algorithm called a "check sum" on the firmware or software. A software engineer running a checksum is equivalent to most people opening their internet browser.

I'm not trying to start a software engineering debate here, I'm just trying to say that there is absolutely no way that BMW cannot tell if the software has been modified.

One other note...
    I can't wait until my 335i Coupe gets here!!!!!

guitarvenue

Yes | No

Re: Nobodys running a chip

Where in the "Sam Hill" did anyone speak of tearing apart the motor??? This thread has to do with running processors that BMW will catch your [Oops!] sooner or later.

YOU ARE RUNNING A CHIP/PROCESSOR IN LINE. Good luck...BMW is watching....you can bet your sweet bippy on that one.......

Registered Member
    Member No: 135170 DinanM525 is an unknown quantity at this point DinanM525's Avatar

Yes | No

What the heck is Dinan waiting for make somthing

It' been a while and Dinan will be the lawyer and give Bmw the judge his cut. Watch dinan will have somthing quite similar for us.

ec

Yes | No

Re: 54 voided 335i Warranties, ECU remapping, MODS

I've been thinking about trying a 335xi (currently have a VWR32) but you people have got me rethinking that.... VW seems much more mod-friendly than BMW (or audi?)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information