+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 5899 edgett is an unknown quantity at this point edgett's Avatar

Yes | No

Best tires for 335i w/Sport Package?

I've ordered a new 335i sedan (SP, PP, CW) and am wondering if I should exercise any choice as to the delivered run-flats. Anyone surveyed the best OEM tires?

Thanks,

Steve325iT

Registered Member
    Member No: 90128 Socom is an unknown quantity at this point Socom's Avatar

Yes | No

As of now there's only 1 manufacturer in the US

that makes RFT's for the sport package of the E90/E92. Michelin(sp?) has a Zero Pressure (ZP) line, but in the US it's only sold for the Viper.

For non-rft tires, I like the Michelin PS2.

06' 330 , Monaco Blue, Grey , PP , Sport, A/T
    (prev) 03' 330 ZHP, Sapphire Blk, Blk, Xenons

johnh

Yes | No

Re: Best tires for 335i w/Sport Package?

the buyer gets no choice in tires.

Phil G.

Yes | No

If you get the 18"s ...

you must get summer performance tires from the factory - there is no one making all season RFTs to fit this car. Hopefully, they will, since I really like the 18"s that come on the 335. Several companies do make all seasons in a non-run flat you can substitute yourself, but then there's no room for a spare, so you're SOL if you get a flat. I plan to go with the performance RF's and take my chances in the winter.

Phil

Registered Member
    Member No: 22932 matt1991 is an unknown quantity at this point matt1991's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: If you get the 18s ...

you have it backwards Phil G. take your chances with NON-Run Flats All Season Run Flats, much more dangerous to run the RF Summers in the winter. think about it, how often do you get a blow out? summer tires in the winter is much more dangerous, trust me...i have tried and i only live in the philly area (not much snow)

chiefneil

Yes | No

That's why I don't like runflats

I love my Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's on my E46. Until there's more selection available in runflats you have absolutely no control over one of the most important aspects of your car's performance (if you choose to stay with the runflats)

BTW, in my 25 years of driving I've never had a flat while on the road. I don't recall either of my parents ever having a flat either. Am I insanely lucky in this regard? Others have flat-tire stories to share?

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 134480 NewhouseEnt is an unknown quantity at this point NewhouseEnt's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: That's why I don't like runflats

I've had PLENTY of flats. Some in the heat of the Texas desert, no bottle jack, no Triple A. One does NOT want to be without a spare or run flats. In fact I get a flat about every year and a half. Imagine being stranded in Alabama in the middle of the night over something stupid like a tire. Whole family is stuffed into the car, no where to sleep, you're all dirty, grouchy and hungry, 2am. Not for me, thanks.
    SoCal.2007 335i Sedan
    2004 King Ranch F250

Member No: 134480 NewhouseEnt is an unknown quantity at this point NewhouseEnt's Avatar

Yes | No

Try on $1,200 for 4 all new 18" OEM runflats...

I priced them. I'm now taking it much easier around the corners.
    07' Sport 335i Sedan.2007 335i Sedan
    2004 King Ranch F250

Registered Member
    Member No: 22932 matt1991 is an unknown quantity at this point matt1991's Avatar

Yes | No

the prev. didn't make sense, read this one Phil G

you have it backwards Phil G. take your chances with All Season NON-Run Flats. its much more dangerous to run the RF Summers in the winter. think about it, how often do you get a blow out? summer tires in the winter is much more dangerous, trust me...i have tried and i only live in the philly area (not much snow)

Phil G.

Yes | No

Agree - that's probably the best solution...

I've had at least 2 flats (when discovered, tire was COMPLETELY flat) in the last 2 years, so I'm worried about driving with non RF's and getting stranded. Damn, I really love the 18"s ...

Registered Member
    Member No: 90128 Socom is an unknown quantity at this point Socom's Avatar

Yes | No

Not on flat on E46, had 4-5 on jetta. But I know

why. E46 spent 90% of it's life on the hwy, the jetta was used everyday which included some driving on city streets.

06' 330 , Monaco Blue, Grey , PP , Sport, A/T
    (prev) 03' 330 ZHP, Sapphire Blk, Blk, Xenons

Steve Edgett

Yes | No

Re: Try on $1,200 for 4 all new 18 OEM runflats...

I figured it was somewhere in that neighborhood. Then again, if I wanted cheap tires, I'd go back to a Miata and it's 185-70/13's - you don't get much cheaper.

Given that the tire makes up 40-50% of the magic in the Sport Package, it sounds as if this is just the price you pay over the short term. I got 21,000 miles out of my Conti's on my E46, including four days at the track and lots of fun in local twisties. If I get equivalent mileage out of the run-flats, it's just another $0.06 a mile on the cost of ownership... since I can rationalize paying twice the price of a Civic for a car which has about the same amount of interior room, maybe the tire price isn't all that bad!

Yes | No

Re: Try on $1,200 for 4 all new 18 OEM runflats...

I hope to God I get 20,000 out of them. Right now they look like about 10,000... We'll see.2007 335i Sedan
    2004 King Ranch F250

Registered Member
    Member No: 80021 Lee323Ci is an unknown quantity at this point Lee323Ci's Avatar

Yes | No

M Mobility Kit

Your dealer or BavAuto will sell you an M Mobility Kit for around $180-$200, less than the price of a spare wheel & tire. This lit came with M3's that had non-RF summer UHP tires and no spare. I don't know how well it works, but I may just go this route when my 335's RE050A's inevitably wear our sooner rather than later.

Registered Member
    Member No: 152194 stefanonapoli is an unknown quantity at this point stefanonapoli's Avatar

Yes | No

I need new tires for my 2007 335i sedan. I see that both Michelin and Pirelli make RF tires for this model. Has anyone had experience with these tires? How do they compare to the OE Bridgestones?

FloydR

Yes | No

Pirelli are far more expensive than the other two. My son plans to buy Michelin's when his Bridgestones wear out.

Tjlew2012

Yes | No

Best tire for 335i w/ sport package 18

I have had the RF & now non-RF tires on my car. The N-RF tires are not going to last more than 12000-15000 at best. I am having problems with the rears wearing out on the inside tread. 3/4 of the tire is good.The fronts are still good. I have Michelin Pliot Sport. One thing I did find out. If you run the N-RF, keep the air pressure up to 50psi in the rear 40 in front. That's what BMW recommends. I know that is for RF but it makes since. I'm putting new tires on the rear & try to keep the air pressure at 50psi.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 69.244.196.100

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information