+ Reply to Thread
    MikeH

Yes | No

a new M5 buyer

Guys,
    I am asking this question for a good friend who is a currently previous series M5 owner and is ready to get a E39 M5.

Is there a list of known issues to look out for in the E39 version? He is not a Roadfly user so he has not yet taken the steps here to ask about issues that he should know about as he shops for a car.
    If there is a topic in the archives that covers a M5 buyers checklist you can direct me to, that would be super.

thanks
    Mike (2001 M Roadster)

STAN

Yes | No

Re: a new M5 buyer

Unfortunately the E39 M5 is too new for the DIY's yet. Most of the current owners don't seem to work on the cars themselves. I owned a 94, 840i and that board was really helpful. If you asked a 'how to question', there was generally half a dozen good responces the next day.

The ownly real problem I had with my 2000 M5 was the clutch. The stock clutch is not made for a car that heavy with 400 hp. I put the UUC 11 inch clutch in and that ended that problem. Most of the V8's all leak oil. I spent half my life with the 840i fixing oil leaks. I added a blue tooth kit to my M5 from Nav systems and it went in with no real effort.

I like the car, but I dread the day that I need to get the new used M5, I don't like their looks.

Franko

Yes | No

I am also considering an E39 M5 and am looking into potential problems. I asked my mechanic (Porsche) for his input. He said that he thought there was an issue with the crankshaft bearings. He thought that many of these were fixed under warranty, but BMW never came up with a long-term solution. Any input on this or other issues would be greatly appreciated.

Registered Member
    Member No: 137016 redrocket-wi is an unknown quantity at this point redrocket-wi's Avatar

Yes | No

I have a 01 Lemans Blue with 70K miles. All options including suede headliner. I have done many upgrades recently including 4 new tires at 62K. The check engine light is on due to the much publicised carbon issue, but the car runs perfect. I am a motivated seller due to a new baby & would let it go for $25K. Let me know if you are interested & I will send pictures.

For info on the carbon issue & how to fix it click here. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84422

Mike H.
    Milwaukee, WI
    414-916-8497

PS. Red rocket referes to my supercharged 2000 Z3 which may also be for sale. Inquire if interested. Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 137016 redrocket-wi is an unknown quantity at this point redrocket-wi's Avatar

Yes | No

I have a 01 Lemans Blue with 70K miles. All options including suede headliner. I have done many upgrades recently including 4 new tires at 62K. The check engine light is on due to the much publicised carbon issue, but the car runs perfect. I am a motivated seller due to a new baby & would let it go for $25K. Let me know if you are interested & I will send pictures.

For info on the carbon issue & how to fix it click here. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84422

Mike H.
    Milwaukee, WI
    414-916-8497

PS. Red rocket referes to my supercharged 2000 Z3 which may also be for sale. Inquire if interested. Thanks

Liu

Yes | No

Crankshaft Bearings failure...

I believe that was an S54 engine issue from the E46 M3...

redrocket-wi

Yes | No

I have a 01 Lemans Blue with 70K miles. All options including suede headliner & leather dash. I have done many upgrades recently including 4 new Michelin PS2 tires at 62K. The check engine light was on due to the much publicised carbon issue, but the software upgrade from Powerchips cleared that up. The car runs perfect. & is in as perfect condition as possible for a 6 year old vehicle. I am a motivated seller due to a new baby & would let it go for $29K. Let me know if you are interested & I will send pictures.

Mike H.
    Milwaukee, WI
    [email protected]
    414-916-8497

PS. Red rocket referes to my supercharged 2000 Z3 2.3 which may also be for sale. 50K miles, 250+/- HP, Free flow exhaust, Bilstein shocks with sport springs. Custom 17" wheels & new upsized Michelin PS2 tires. $23K Inquire if interested. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information