+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 141667 dhp is an unknown quantity at this point dhp's Avatar

Yes | No

M6 speed limiter: turn it off?

My M6 came preset to limit speed to 168 mph instead of 156. I've heard that the car can be set at the factory to limit speed to either 156, 168, or 200 mph. I don't know why the car was set for 168, but I'm glad it's not 156. Does anyone know how to get it set to 200 or just de-limited altogether?

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: M6 speed limiter: turn it off?

M (or for that matter regular 6er) is limited. Although BMWs literature claims 155 MPH, many owners are seeing it at the approximate 168 level. If that is your indicated speed on HUD/Speedometer you can bet the real number is somewhat less due to the ~5% positive speedometer bias in all current BMWs. In any case, for Euro Spec cars BMW will raise the limit (not totally delimted) to match the speed rating of the tires. I am not aware they will do this for a US Spec car. And even if they did, I am not sure if they would on a car already delivered. Aftermarket tuners such as Active Autowerke can do this. Others such as Hartge do as well. Most will max it to your tire ratings although their literature may simply state "delimited"

9940 SW 168 Terrace Miami, Florida 33157
    Phone: 305.233.9300 | Fax: 305.253.8921
    Email: [email protected]
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

Registered Member
    Member No: 141667 dhp is an unknown quantity at this point dhp's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: M6 is totalled.

I don't have to worry about turning off the speed limiter. A stoned driver turned in front of me and it's totalled. the initial collision pushed me into a concrete wall at significant speed. My neck is hurt, but the car did great protecting me from other injuries. Only a HANS device would have kept the neck from happening. There's an airbag under the steering wheel in the driver's footwell that deployed and blew my foot back off the brake at impact, keeping me from breaking my foot like so many other drivers do in this type of collision. Farewell M6. I've already gotten a check for $100k from insurance and am considering what to replace it with.

Registered Member
    Member No: 31684 CAFleming is an unknown quantity at this point CAFleming's Avatar

Yes | No

Glad you're OK.

Registered Member
    Member No: 31684 CAFleming is an unknown quantity at this point CAFleming's Avatar

Yes | No

Obvious suggestions...

If you want to go sporty, nothing beats a 997S. Not as much grunt as an M6, but much lighter and overall performance: handling, braking, steering feel, are all better.

If you want more of a luxurious GT, Aston Martin V8. I see a couple of these in my neighborhood, and this is the most beautiful car on sale in America today. Damn, it just makes me drool! The shape, and especially the design detailing are unmatched. Great exhaust note also.

I wouldn't do either of these cars as a daily driver, but I don't think most M6 buyers are one car owners, either.

Registered Member
    Member No: 140295 AndrewDP is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewDP's Avatar

Yes | No

2nd that! Must have been scary.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information