+ Reply to Thread
    john

Yes | No

Event Data Recorder

Does the 2005 X3 have an Event Data Recorder? If yes, where is it located?

Registered Member
    Member No: 129673 albran is an unknown quantity at this point albran's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Event Data Recorder

i only found us manufactured cars on google
    BUT GM and BMW are definitately in business together so you have to wonder
    here's a link
    "http://www.harristechnical.com/cdr.htm"

FM

Yes | No

Re: Event Data Recorder

Technically speaking BMWs may not have EDRs yet; however, if one ignores techicalities, it is true that virtually all modern cars with air bags have information stored regarding the air bag deployment which includes things such as vehicle speed, braking percentage, etc. In most cases the SRS control module will provide much of the same data as a true EDR would.

BMW's formal statement last year was "Up to now, BMW has not installed EDRs that meet this definition ... [the] NHTSA definition from the EDR Final Rule is: 'Event data recorder (EDR) means a device or function in a vehicle that records the vehicle's dynamic, time-series data during the time period just prior to a crash event (e.g., vehicle speed vs. time) or during a crash event (e.g., delta-V vs. time), intended for retrieval after the crash event. For the purposes of this definition, the event data do not include audio and video data.'"

http://www.bmwcca.org/node/5117

Also of interest:

"As of now, GM, Ford and Toyota record what would be considered a large amount of crash data. Honda, BMW and some other vehicle manufacturers record small amounts of crash data."

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/EDRNPRM4--June1/part2.html

Registered Member
    Member No: 5943 rirrgang is an unknown quantity at this point rirrgang's Avatar

Yes | No

What info makes you think GM and BMW

are in business "together"? Many cars have edr's. It's common knowlage the BMW buys many of its automatic transmissions from GM but that certainly says nothing more than GM is a supplier to BMW. Sharing technology between automakers is not new. Toyota licenses it's Hybrid technology to Ford. Are they in business together or do they only share technology? I'd sure like to see what you've read and if that's the case It'll be the last BMW I ever own. I don't think BMW would be foolish enough to be in business with a sinking ship called GM.
    -Rick
    www.livesafeandhealthy.net
    www.mothersmakingmoney.com
    BMWCCA 162285
    06 X3 Silver Gray/Black / Sport / Prem / Step
    05 Dolphin 5376, (that's 37' of fun)

FM

Yes | No

Re: What info makes you think GM and BMW

"in business" is a rather general, and ill-defined, term. I woulnd't read too much into it, or take anyone to task if they used that term in reference to supplying automatic transmissions, a major component of a vehicle (perhaps only second in importance/value to the engine), for some BMW models.

I believe Getrag supplies the AWD transmission for the Ford Five Hundred and I would not be taken aback to hear someone say that Ford was "in business" with Getrag.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I know and understand what you mean.

Being in business with and being a vendor to, are completely different things. Although Albran said "in business with", I was hoping that he would realize what he said and clarify it. He posted the information with somewhat of a tone of Conspiracy.
    Maybe I was the only one that read it that way.

-Rick
    BMWCCA 162285

john

Yes | No

Re: I know and understand what you mean.

So we still don't know if our X3 has an EDR, do we?

FM

Yes | No

Re: I know and understand what you mean.

I thought this response was rather clear:

BMW's formal statement last year was "Up to now, BMW has not installed EDRs that meet this definition ... [the] NHTSA definition from the EDR Final Rule is: 'Event data recorder (EDR) means a device or function in a vehicle that records the vehicle's dynamic, time-series data during the time period just prior to a crash event (e.g., vehicle speed vs. time) or during a crash event (e.g., delta-V vs. time), intended for retrieval after the crash event. For the purposes of this definition, the event data do not include audio and video data.'"

http://www.bmwcca.org/node/5117

But, as I alos said, the SRS module in all vehicles saves some limited data, just not enough to be defined as an EDR.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Who cares if it's there or not

The public at large is under the watchful eye of many instruments that record your actions. Heck, you can't even walk in to a 7-11 with out being on tape. you can't get money out of an ATM with out being watched.How about Photo Radar, traffic cams, cell phones with GPS? Geez, I could go on forever. Worried about a edr in your car? Just don't be doing 100 plus before you run off the road and hit a telephone poll while talking on your cell and putting on your make-up and you'll be fine.
    I don't have a problem with it at all and if I did and meant it, I'd stop driving. Golly, I like my BMW, with or with out EDR.
    -Rick
    BMWCCA 162285

Registered Member
    Member No: 129673 albran is an unknown quantity at this point albran's Avatar

Yes | No

a vandal busted a window and damaged some of the plastic trim
    waited for 2 weeks for the replacment parts to be recieved from GM

Interior manufactured by GM
    Transmission manufactured by GM

anybody have any other GM/BMW info?

FM

Yes | No

Some transmissions are manufactured by GM. I believe the new six speed automatic in the 2007 X3 is manufactured by ZF, not GM.

I believe the seats are from Lear, not GM.

Most vehicles today are multi-sourced, e.g., BMW motorcycles have wheel manufactured in Spain and speedometers from Japan, Harleys have Forks from Japan, etc.

Registered Member
    Member No: 13705 DrT is an unknown quantity at this point DrT's Avatar

Yes | No

No, but I heard that data is stored in...

the MODIC or EML (???) so that info. can be downloaded. From what I heard, BMW (dealer) can find out how the car is driven...eg. max. speed reached or how often the redline was hit...things like that. But, I can't confirm....

Registered Member
    Member No: 13705 DrT is an unknown quantity at this point DrT's Avatar

Yes | No

Maybe BMW GMbH....

A common acronym for "Co." or "Ltd.". But, I hightly doubt that GM manuf. it's own interiors, let alone BMW's.

Most of these parts are outsourced. The manufacturer these days basically only 'assembles' the car.

And I don't even think they use GM tranny's anymore. That was the case in 1999-2001 (eg. 5 series) or so, but I think they're all ZF since/now.

User Level 1
    Member No: 191238 princesssmith is an unknown quantity at this point princesssmith's Avatar

Yes | No
    As far as I know, there is, I just don't know where its exactly located.Anyways, I would just like to share with you some sort of information that I gathered.Maybe you're aware of this already, It's about the Event data Recorder (EDR).It was initially used by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration in 1991 to determine the information surrounding a car crash, the automotive industry knew it was the wave of the future. Today, a car computer catches a great deal of data regarding your driving habits within its crash recorder, and even save your life by notifying authorities in the event of a crash, through a service like OnStar. But for some, the EDR represents an unnerving invasion of privacy - and they'll be standard in all automobiles by 2013, states the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.Anyways, If you want to know more about his, I give you my reference: Event data recorders: Saving lives and invading privacy.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 121.97.231.132

Unregistered

Yes | No
    What do you plan to do you not want known?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.77.98.22

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information