+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 121281 robz82001 is an unknown quantity at this point robz82001's Avatar

Yes | No

Adding a carriage house to the compound......

....with a 2 car garage below and an apartment up top. We're using an elderly gent we've used before (for a bathroom remodel). We gave him a rough picture of what we wanted with dimensions and asked him how many plans he needed. He said "none....just tell me what you want and where you want it". Now this guy might be 70 years old but he did a great job on our bathroom...had a 2-man crew to help him. I know nothing about construction.....but I cannot help wonder if using this guy is wise. Does anyone know if this is a common building practice? This guy is VERY old school and pays attention to detail. But I'm a little concerned. Any thoughts?

Registered Member
    Member No: 36263 UMP is an unknown quantity at this point UMP's Avatar

Yes | No

I think you're much better off with someone

you already know and trust, even if he's a hundred years old.
    Typically someone of that age that says he can do something, can.

Registered Member
    Member No: 8262 revhigh is an unknown quantity at this point revhigh's Avatar

Yes | No

get an architect to produce plans so you know

what the end results will be. Also, having specs on the construction allows for a "no mistake" or finger pointing when things don't line up. Spend the money and invest into an architect.

I have a carriage house garage that was built by an Amish. I would rather of had it built by a local contractor for a better fit and finish. I used some AZEK boards on the front of the place where a lot of the abuse from the elements occurs. Went with a lifetime roofing shingle and all quality materials.

"It's all about performance."

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

On the dyno for tuning.
    "Proven performance from the street, for the street. When performance matters, RevHigh!"
    RevHigh Motorsports

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information