+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 70717 JonWoods is an unknown quantity at this point JonWoods's Avatar

Yes | No

DOT headlights in Euro-spec car...

Does anybody have any experience in replacing the projector headlights in a euro-spec car with north american DOT lights? I know it's done the other way around (euro lights into NA cars).

Thinking of importing a 91 but it's a euro spec car and our local registration police will likely make me replace the head lights before giving me a set of plates.... Hopefully I can find a set at a local wreckers...

Thx.

Registered Member
    Member No: 14509 m6bigdog is an unknown quantity at this point m6bigdog's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: DOT headlights in Euro-spec car...

The issue of vehicle importation into the US is much bigger than the headlights.
    If you have the vehicle brought into the US it will require a DOT certification before a local DMV will allow registration.
    If it is delivered to a POE it will only be released to a certified Shop for federalization. After months and some serious money you will gain posession of you car.

Importation regulations link:
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/Rod...
    BMWCCA GGC

Registered Member
    Member No: 70717 JonWoods is an unknown quantity at this point JonWoods's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm not importing into the US :)

I reside in Canada where we're allowed to import any car greater than 15 years old - no restictions - no EPA or DOT nightmare to deal with (we do have to pass local "tailpipe" and safety inpspections of course).

Unfortunately, while federally, anything can be imported, provincial/state safety inspectors are getting sticky where I am and my understanding is that the european lights on these cars are not DOT compliant... I'm trying to figure out what parts I need to put in the US-spec parts - whether I just need the new bulbs or whether I'll also need the buckets and perhaps some rewiring... I know lots of people do it the other way around and a few guys who've imported 3.8's must have gone through this..

Anybody? I may need a set of those old headlights, orange markers and orange tail lights if anybody has a set taking up space :/

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information